Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: X-10 allowing for expanded range  (Read 15394 times)

nklght

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
X-10 allowing for expanded range
« on: March 26, 2007, 01:46:03 AM »

I would like for X-10 to allow people to get extended range from their remote units, and offer units which people are intrested in.  We can add filters and couplers to ensure that the signal gets around the wiring, but we have limited options to increase the rf range.  You have hundreds of thousands of users, and only several thousand are willing complain.  The people that want to use X-10 are going to find a fix, but a majority of users are going to give up on X-10, the not always effective range and purchase products from different companies to accomplish the same goals, which could be acheived by X-10 if a proactive approach was taken.  Most people would be willing to pay more than $49 for a system that could be easilly modified for expanded range.  My current problem is with the range of the CM-15a and it range limitations,  I am affraid of breaking the unit, so I have not preformend any range modifications.  Maybe X-10 can create a CM-16A, which includes a screw on antenna.  Since, the antenna is screw on, now they can sell an expansion package for 30 bucks, whichs includes a cable and remote antenna.    Instead of charging persons for a new controller and antenna package, maybe they come have a deal, were if we send you our old unit we get the package for the cost of the expansion package.  Also, maybe X-10 can modify their current line of remote trancievers and possible recievers, to accept an X-10 upgrade modification.  The fix is simple, add a simple phono type jack, which will accept an outside powered transmitter/ reciever, charge 5-10 dollars for each self powered amplication unit and people will by them.  X-10 is a viable method for home automation, but what is offered, and the limitations turn off most users.  X-10 is a marketing genius, so the price should be less than 5-10 bucks per unit,  Many people are dissapointed with one item of X-10 and that is range, fixing that issue might actually increase your profibillity.   

Hemingray

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Re: X-10 allowing for expanded range
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 01:39:03 PM »

I would like for X-10 to allow people to get extended range from their remote units .....  but we have limited options to increase the rf range.

I get amazing range with my HR12A and my TM751. My house is a good ways off the road, yet I can stand out in the road and STILL have control of my X10 devices.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 08:11:36 PM »

There has been much discussion about increasing the range of the CM15A (as well as the TM751) here at the forum.

I even posted the mod I completed on my CM15A (complete with pictures).

It's simple 5 minute mod.... I wasn't the 1st to do it..... and it makes a real difference.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

nklght

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2007, 04:32:59 AM »

A fix is possible, if one is willing to get into the trenches and modify the cm-15,
my point is that several manufactures sell wireless products with the availability to extend the range.
Most wireless routers come with a standard screw in antenna, if a person cannot use the device with the built-in antenna, they have an option to purchase an after market antenna, which simply screws into the original antenna location.  X-10 can develop the same concept, instead of requiring me to develop my own range expansion scheme based on what other users have done.  X-10 could develop it a little further and allow for multiple antenna inputs.  It would not be costly for X-10 to develop this system, all they need to do is sell a unit with a coax type jack, and include a similar type antenna which screws into the new jack.  They could then sell extended range antennas for around 50 dollars.  A cost I would pay to avoid trying to make a modification, which would void the warranty I have on the unit.  I want to make a range modification on this unit, but I over 6 months left on the unit, and have already received two units, becuase of unit failure, covered under the waranty.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2007, 09:30:22 AM »

.....all they need to do is sell a unit with a coax type jack, and include a similar type antenna which screws into the new jack.  They could then sell extended range antennas for around 50 dollars. 

I agree with that!
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.