Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: House with Compact florescent bulbs - NEWBIE...  (Read 3899 times)

rcreff

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
House with Compact florescent bulbs - NEWBIE...
« on: April 09, 2007, 10:52:32 AM »

I want to start using X10.  I understand I cannot control florescent bulbs with X10 without a neutral.  Can I control other lights in the house if I have compact florescent bulbs in the house?  In other words, does the interference from florescent bulbs make x10 not function?  Also, I am going to be adding halogen under the counter lights, can X10 control these?

Thanks!
Rob

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: House with Compact florescent bulbs - NEWBIE...
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 11:22:52 AM »

I understand I cannot control florescent bulbs with X10 without a neutral. 
Not true! You have to use a non dimming module though! ;)

Can I control other lights in the house if I have compact florescent bulbs in the house?  In other words, does the interference from florescent bulbs make x10 not function? 

Yes! there have been reports that they sometime emit noise back onto the power line which can cause problems but this is rare now a days!
Also, I am going to be adding halogen under the counter lights, can X10 control these?
Yes! Just use an appliance module or non dimming switch with the propper ratings! ;)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 11:25:40 AM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

rcreff

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 11:45:30 AM »

So, I do not need a neutral wire to switch CFB on and off if I use a non-dimming switch?

The halogen bulbs are dimmable.  Can X10 dim them?  They are small puck style lights which are going to be used under my kitchen cabinets.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 11:57:01 AM »

So, I do not need a neutral wire to switch CFB on and off if I use a non-dimming switch?
nope!
The halogen bulbs are dimmable.  Can X10 dim them?  They are small puck style lights which are going to be used under my kitchen cabinets.
I assume these are the low voltage type? I don't play with the dimming to much have mostly CFLs here! Possibly they can be! I'm sure someone else here has played with them! ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 12:14:58 PM »

nope!
I assume these are the low voltage type? I don't play with the dimming to much have mostly CFLs here! Possibly they can be! I'm sure someone else here has played with them! ;)

Tuicemen - doesn't all X10 non-dimming switches require a nuetral? I am assuming when creff says SWITCHES he means a wall switch.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

rcreff

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 12:16:40 PM »

Yup, I mean a wall switch...sorry.  See, I am a NEWBIE!!!

Don N

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2007, 12:18:58 PM »

The halogen bulbs are dimmable. Can X10 dim them? They are small puck style lights which are going to be used under my kitchen cabinets.

Yes, X10 can dim the halogen bulbs.  I have them under my cabinets and they are plugged into a Lamp Module.  They work very well.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007, 12:34:25 PM »

Tuicemen - doesn't all X10 non-dimming switches require a nuetral? I am assuming when creff says SWITCHES he means a wall switch.
Apparently there are non dimming switches which don't require a neutral wire! ::) But I could be wrong (I use strictly modules here) think you can find them at Automatedoutlet ;)
Update:OK guess I'm wrong I couldn't find the switch I was thinking of! :-[ :-[ ;)
 rcreff looks like you need to use a appliance module or socket rocket for your CFLs! ;)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 01:08:41 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.