Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: UX23A VCR Commander II Not Responding As Instructions Indicate It Should...  (Read 10585 times)

Japper

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

I just received a 3 channel X10 camera  kit and I was able to get everything up and going except for the UX23A VCR Commander. (VC)

This unit does not behave like it is portrayed in the documentation that came with this unit...
For example:

1. Step 4 states to press Play on the VC until the red light stays on and step 5 states to press the house on the motion sensor and the red light on the VC will go out. So I press and hold the play button on the VC until the red light stays on and then I press and release the house button on the sensor and in 20 - 30 seconds the VC light flashes fast 7 or 8 times along with the same number of beeps .

Is this working correctly? It is hard to tell when it does not match the results spelled out in your instructions... I have also tried holding the house button down until the VC light flashes and beeps but it does the same thing...

This is the same results that I have experiences for all 3 motion detectors....

2. Step 6 of the VC instructions states "position the VCR remote control about one inch away from the VC, pointing it at the Infrared (IR) sensor and step 7 states to hold the record button down until the red light stays on. Step 8 states to press the record button on the remote control and hold it until the red light
goes out and comes back on solid. When I do this, the red light never goes out and comes back on, rather the red light flashes fast 7 or 8 times along with the same number of beeps .

3. Step 9 states, " Press stop on the VC and release it. the red light will blink quickly and then stay on. Press the Stop button on your remote control and hold it down until the red light on the VC briefly goes off and back on. This means that the Stop has been learned." If I press the stop button and release it after a couple of seconds it just blinks every 1-1/2 seconds like it always does. If I hold the stop button down until it comes on it will beep once and come on but will only stay on for as long as I hold the stop button down.

Is this working correctly? It is hard to tell when it does not match the results spelled out in your instructions...

Please advise what I need to do to get these options working on this VC..

Thank you

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!

The instruction sheet is very vague ::) try the info posted here: VCR Commander Quick Setup
Read the instructions over a couple of times before following them (it does help!) ;)
In any case it took me a couple of passes before the info sunk in and 2 tries at programming it before it took! ;) :D ;D
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Japper

Thank you for the info, it was better than the info that came wit hthe unit but it is still not working. This VCR Commander is the weak link of the system and without it working, the system is of little use to me..

How can a person tell if the sensors are activating the unit and that they are programmed correctly to issue a record or stop command to this VCR Commander? Does a light go on  when the camera triggers it?  The cameras turn on and off via the sensors ok but I can not tell if the VCR Commander is getting their signal also.. how can i test to make sure that the VCR Commander is getting the sensor's signal?

Secondly, is there a way to test whether the VCR Commander is actually sending a record or stop signal to the VCR? The light on the VCR Commander reacts correctly per the instructions that you led me to but I can not tell if the VCR Commander is sending out a signal or if it learned the VCR codes correctly. I can record and stop the VCR with my remote so I know the VCR is working and I have moved the IR emitter around and even held it in front of the VCR at different angles. Is ther ea way to force the VCR Commander to send a record and stop command on its IR emitter by pressing the buttons? How can I test this?

Thank you in advance for any help with this...

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!

I found it best to use a Palm pad or X10 remote when programming the VCR commander.
As for testing, thats where I had a problem too until I realized the commander sends a record command on the first sensor signal and nothing else for 5 min (if no motion is sensed )
If you send another RF ON command during this time you have to wait another 5 Min's before it will send the stop command and you can test again.
 How ever I f you can get the VCR commander set to Home (no blinking light) you can test. A  RF ON command will trigger the light to flash as well as make beeping sounds! ;) :D ;D
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

tory

I have stored the link for the VCR Commander setup and will review it.

I have one commander working properly, but was unable to get another working on two different brands of vcr's.

Any particular brand vcr the commander will easily setup with ?

BTW, I owned a 24/7 vcr and wore it out - best results are obtained with the commander (except for the slower reaction of the commander.) VCR Commander is the way to go if you can get it set up. 

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175

Any particular brand vcr the commander will easily setup with ?

I am using a GE brand VCR. I had trouble with setting up a much nicer SONY VCR.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16

Thank you for the info, it was better than the info that came wit hthe unit but it is still not working. This VCR Commander is the weak link of the system and without it working, the system is of little use to me..

How can a person tell if the sensors are activating the unit and that they are programmed correctly to issue a record or stop command to this VCR Commander? Does a light go on  when the camera triggers it?  The cameras turn on and off via the sensors ok but I can not tell if the VCR Commander is getting their signal also.. how can i test to make sure that the VCR Commander is getting the sensor's signal?

Secondly, is there a way to test whether the VCR Commander is actually sending a record or stop signal to the VCR? The light on the VCR Commander reacts correctly per the instructions that you led me to but I can not tell if the VCR Commander is sending out a signal or if it learned the VCR codes correctly. I can record and stop the VCR with my remote so I know the VCR is working and I have moved the IR emitter around and even held it in front of the VCR at different angles. Is ther ea way to force the VCR Commander to send a record and stop command on its IR emitter by pressing the buttons? How can I test this?

Thank you in advance for any help with this...

I agree with you the VCR Commander2 is the weak link! the problem I'm having is that they keep dieing on me even new in the box. I'm on my forth return, they work for a while and then appear to not be able to recognize the motion detector code I programed into it. That's x10 for ya. :'(

Tom j

porsche4786

I f you can get the VCR commander set to Home (no blinking light) you can test. A  RF ON command will trigger the light to flash as well as make beeping sounds! ;) :D ;D

So when it's set to home it's always supposed to beep every time motion is detected? This would be annoying.
-Kevin

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16

I f you can get the VCR commander set to Home (no blinking light) you can test. A  RF ON command will trigger the light to flash as well as make beeping sounds! ;) :D ;D

So when it's set to home it's always supposed to beep every time motion is detected? This would be annoying.

No it does not beep every time motion is detected, actually the away mode is right above the stop. The long beep is when you press the "Learn MS" right over the play button.

Tom j

Tom j

porsche4786

No it does not beep every time motion is detected, actually the away mode is right above the stop. The long beep is when you press the "Learn MS" right over the play button.

Tom j

Tom j

This is weird though, cause mine when in Home mode will make beeps every time motion is detected. I really think the problem is the unit, I might get another and see what happens.
-Kevin

porsche4786

Best thing to do I buy a DVR NOT from X10 there stuff dosent work. It needs a-LOT Of imporvement

I thought about it...and still am...I can get a 200GB DVR off ebay for like $320 shipped.  It also has motion detection or you can have a schedule set up. Only thing is, I guess I would still have to use motion detectors with the cameras to switch thru them. Since only one camera can be displayed at a time. hmmm....
-Kevin

zach1234

DVRs Have quads built in

Get a DVR NOT X10 JUNK in dont mean murchancedice

HA Dave

Has anybody thought of just emailing themselves (automatically of course) the video clips. No tape, no DVR, can't be tampered with by a burglar....

HA Dave

Not if is Locked UP how is x10 JUNK any better.

My X10 setup works flawlessly.... maybe you just need to read here at the forum a little more.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.