Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: VCR Commander II: No Image on VCR  (Read 18482 times)

abfab

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
VCR Commander II: No Image on VCR
« on: April 15, 2007, 10:56:09 PM »

I hope someone can help me figure this out, I`m really stumped...

I had a VCR Commander II that worked perfectly when I first got it, then one day the tape started to show only snow.  I contacted x10 tech support who suggested it was a defective Commander.  I got a new one and still the same thing.  I've checked everything I can think of and even got a new VCR/tape but still the same thing.  I can see the image fine when the video receiver is connected to the TV so I know its not the camera or the video receiver.  I also checked that the video cable is plugged into the IN port of the VCR and OUT on the video receiver.  help!

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
Re: VCR Commander II: No Image on VCR
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 11:52:08 PM »

Worst case, you need a new VCR.

Best case, your VCR is not looking at the correct video input.  If there was a power outage or something else that "reset" the VCR (or even someone pushing the wrong buttons), it may have defaulted to looking at a "TV channel" instead of the "Video input" that your camera receiver is connected to!
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

JimC

• Helpful Post Rating: 41
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 06:21:29 AM »

Quote from:
I've checked everything I can think of and even got a new VCR/tape but still the same thing.  I can see the image fine when the video receiver is connected to the TV so I know its not the camera or the video receiver.  I also checked that the video cable is plugged into the IN port of the VCR and OUT on the video receiver.  help!

Does the VCR turn on and start recording when the motion sensor is tripped? If not maybe the VCR Commander is not getting the signal from the motion sensor or the VCR commander needs reset to recognize the signal from the motion sensor.

With a TV connected to the output of the VCR do you see what the camera should be seeing when the VCR is recording. If not then what Bill suggested is probably the problem. I had the same thing happen to me and it took me a little while to figure it out.

Jim
_ _ ...  ..._ _

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 03:20:49 PM »

Apparently Bill, Jim and I all use the same brand of VCR.... as mine also defaults to cable channel 3. I modulate my camera(s) signal to channel 3, and run to the VCR via coax cable.

Then from the "out" (RCA) ports on the VCR, I re-broadcast the video to my TV's with the video sender/receivers. That way everytime I check the view outside using the cameras, I am also checkig the status of the VCR.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

abfab

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 03:27:47 PM »

I was using an old VCR which it used to work with.  I went out an bought a new one but getting the same problem using either machine.  When I trip the sensor it will start recording, but only get snow.

Its normally connected only to VCR, not TV.  I hooked it up to TV only to test if it was the video receiver or camera.  I'll get another video cable and try outputting from VCR to TV.

The sensor is set with both the Unit and House codes set to A1 and that's what I used to program the Commander.  The original set up had a different Unit/House code.  Could it be that a transmitter or other piece of equipment set to the old code?  I have both cameras and the security system and have difficulty trying to remember which equipment goes with which.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 07:03:11 PM »

The sensor is set with both the Unit and House codes set to A1 and that's what I used to program the Commander.  The original set up had a different Unit/House code.  Could it be that a transmitter or other piece of equipment set to the old code?  I have both cameras and the security system and have difficulty trying to remember which equipment goes with which.

The A1 house unit code is the default code for nearly everything X10. If the batteries fail on a motion sensor the motion sensor defaults to A1.

I have to admit I do use the "A" House code. But I only use it in my office, and mostly for testing. The A code (or at least the low numbers) are generally avoided by many X10 users.

It could be you have somethings sending it's default A1, which could be [close enough to be] triggering your VCR commander, but not reaching the transceiver that would trigger a camera. Hence, white snow.... taping with no camera signal.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.