Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Any Resources for Outside Surveillance Camera Camouflaging?  (Read 17060 times)

essp2003

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: Any Resources for Outside Surveillance Camera Camouflaging?
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2007, 10:33:33 PM »

X10 has a ninja, PAN AND TILT (CR14A) camera stand, that others have mounted a wired IR camera on. X10 also makes the Vanguard 44X Zoom Video Camera System with 1/2 mile ZOOM and NightVision. The Vanguard is (I believe) not intended for outside use, however because it doesn't use IR lights it can be used through a window.

Another way to increase your cameras nightvision effectiveness is to use decorative or security lighting around your home.

Dave,

Yeah, I thought about the security lighting, but that's not a constant by no means with bulb life and pilfering. IR will be more reliable and can catch  setups either way with or without lights on.

I look at lights more for prevention where you like one camera visable (or you probably like both and more from your alarm description).

But it seems easy to put lights out and defeat the camera if you depend on it. i.e. your camera looks great most of the time with lights, except when you really need it, ha-ha. I guess they have expensive vandal proof lights, but would like to try the Home Depot $15 ones first for comparison purposes since so cheap (half the price of the next lowest even at Home Depot). And then later when get better, can use cheapies else where for satellite effects of automated security. I'm sure they are not the most efficient and are good to figure out, and then use sparringly for RED ALERT additive lighting (like a cat jumps on the car hood  ;-)

I like the idea of the X10 $50 appliance consule to automate turning items on and off. That may be my favorite X10 item at the moment to make look like expensive intelligent system. That has to be a unique item to X10 from my newbie experience. I like the idea of watching my monitor during the day and being able to respond with my consule manually as well.

EL34

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
    • My X-10 projects
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2007, 11:11:44 AM »

The birdhouse cam wouldn't work in my yard.  ;D

I have flying squirrels that take over the bird houses, they would chew the camera and the openeing to get in. I have 7 bird houses and everyo one of them is full of flying squirrel nesting material.

The large gray squirrels chew the bird holes bigger for some reason. I have had to put round block off plates of glass epoxy over the enlarged bird house holes to keep them from chewing.
I counted 18 gray squirrels in my yard yesterday, I need to import some owls, hawks and eagles.
W10 - CM15A - AHP 3.301 - i Witness - MyHouse online - Smart Macros - SDK using Visual Basic express 2008
My X10 page-> http://www.el34world.com/Misc/home/X10_0.htm

teez67f

• Helpful Post Rating: 7
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2007, 05:06:00 PM »

I'm not sure if this would be helpful to conceal your cams? I have two enclosed in a lexan cube which seems dark to the eye but IR cam see's through it.

Used the film mentioned in INFRARED GOGGLES FOR UNDER $10 (Art/Photoshop place has it) in combo to get dark black cube so no one knows it's a cam but get motion detect on it. Obviously it gives you IR B/W image but just a thought.

My yard is full of squirrels but they can't get to birdhouses because hanging and they spin if they try. ::) :D

Good Luck

[TTA Edit: Combined 2 sequential posts; added description to LINK.]
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 06:19:45 PM by TakeTheActive »

teez67f

• Helpful Post Rating: 7
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2007, 05:29:29 PM »

Okay here is the link to spinner and a video.These kids are running on Nestle QUIK cocoa not blood!! :P :o :o
Man I need to take notes from that family with 16 kids.How do they keep them so calm?!?!?! ??? ??? ::)

[TTA Edit: Added descriptions to LINKs.]
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 06:25:53 PM by TakeTheActive »

essp2003

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2007, 04:53:59 AM »

I'm not sure if this would be helpful to conceal your cams? I have two enclosed in a lexan cube which seems dark to the eye but IR cam see's through it.

Used the film mentioned in INFRARED GOGGLES FOR UNDER $10 (Art/Photoshop place has it) in combo to get dark black cube so no one knows it's a cam but get motion detect on it. Obviously it gives you IR B/W image but just a thought.

My yard is full of squirrels but they can't get to birdhouses because hanging and they spin if they try. ::) :D

Good Luck

[TTA Edit: Combined 2 sequential posts; added description to LINK.]

Teez,

Excellent Suggestion. I'd like to keep the color IR, but the disguise would keep it hidden and prevent it from being stolen.
Way to go with an excellent AND cost efficient solution, that had still illuded me. I was thinking some type of iron works in front,
but the shiney camera lens would still have given me away, and it would have been heavy and expensive.

Thanks Again!!

If you could post some day and night pictures with your exact formula in blue/red spec/quantity sheets, I'd appreciate it.
This is revolutionary since I think IR is the only camera worth having except for businesses catching shop lifters and employee thefts, as well as watching the crumb snatchers, lol.
 So this is the only means of truely disquising IR cameras to my newbie knowledge  :-)

« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 03:28:47 PM by essp2003 »
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.