Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Adjusting Brightness From Software  (Read 2917 times)

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
Adjusting Brightness From Software
« on: May 10, 2007, 12:04:55 AM »

Hi guys well more problems! Let m explain the problem and hopefully someone can help me determine if this is software or hardware related. Every time I try to dim or brighten from within the software it doesn't dim or brighten to whats indicated in the software. Let me give an example for example I have a timer that turns on my dinning room lights at dust to 100% if I try to dim it using the software to 50% it appears to work as long as I use one continuous motion but if I dim for example to 25% wait a few seconds and then try to dim another 25% the light will actually increase in brightness while the software indicates it's decreasing in brightness and is at now 50% :P ???, this kind of thing is driving me crazy  :P, I've been through so much with this hardware/software but just seems never ending. Wondering if anyone else has noticed this ? If I use one continues motion it reports the correct level but trying to get there in two or three it will actually increase in brightness, also noticed that when I setup a timer that dims to a particular level it's often reported incorrectly in the history for example I have a timer that dims to 65% checked the history today and although the slider was correct at 65% the history reported 35% just want to know if the hardware might be defective or if this is more then likely a software issue. Thanks

Tom j

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Adjusting Brightness From Software
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 09:48:01 PM »

Gee, one shows dim TO 65% and the other shows dim BY 35%. Isn't that really the same thing?
Home Automation is an always changing technology

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
Re: Adjusting Brightness From Software
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 11:25:27 PM »

The AHP software doesn't actually "know" the module's present dim setting.

While AHP is running, it "remembers" the setting it last "told" the module to go to, but this can be inaccurate if AHP has been offline and the module's dim setting was modified by an outside source (even a MACRO stored in the CM15A)!

Modules that are not in the "Monitored House Code" are only tracked by AHP when the AHP software is running and the CM15A is connected to the computer.

Modules that are in the "Monitored House Code" are tracked by the CM15A interface (to a point), but I'm not sure that includes the present dim setting.

The main problem is that most X10 modules are not "two-way" and can't be "asked" their present status.  This means that AHP has to rely on its "memory" of where the module "should be", and for the reasons above, its "memory" may be inaccurate.

Hope this sheds some light on the subject (pardon the pun  ;)  )

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.