Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: VCR controler & motion sensors  (Read 4033 times)

bernard boule

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
VCR controler & motion sensors
« on: May 11, 2007, 11:51:20 AM »

Trying to set up a VCR Commander to function with 3 Motion sensor controled wireless cameras; This is where I have got to. The cameras work and a picture can be seen on the TV the picture can be recorded manually on the VCR- The cameras switch with the motion sensors- The VCR commander seems to recognize 1 of the motion sensors as the red LED flashes more quickly when that motion sensor detetcs activity. There seems to be 2 problems I have not been able to resolve. 1 the motion sensors need to be programmed or designated 1-2-3 etc and this, I am told is accomplished by pressing the unit button on each sensor and holding it till the red led glows steady the releasing the button and giving a quick press and release followed by pressing the unit button the number of times desired to get the unit number wanted 2-3-4 etc. The problem I am experiencing is that I can never get the red led to come on solid- it blinks several times then after a short delay it comes on for about 1 second and then goes out. I am unable to set thes motion sensors to various unit numbers. they are sensor MS16A with stickers bearing the following code 05 K45.
        Any suggestions would be appreciated.
        The other problem is in getting the VCR Commander to activate the record feature of the VCR. This particular VCR requires that boyh the rec and play buttons be pressed simultaneously to activate the record feature but the instructions indicate that this should be programable. I have had no success doing so but have been able to operate a one button rec type VCR with this same unit. Am I doing something wrong? We will try a different VCR but don't think we should have to.   

« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 12:11:15 PM by bernard boule »

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: VCR controler & motion sensors
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 12:39:51 AM »

..... I am told is accomplished by pressing the unit button on each sensor and holding it till the red led glows steady the releasing the button and giving a quick press and release followed by pressing the unit button the number of times desired to get the unit number wanted 2-3-4 etc.

That is INcorrect.

The problem I am experiencing is that I can never get the red led to come on solid- it blinks several times then after a short delay it comes on for about 1 second and then goes out.

That sounds right. If your pressing the "house code button" (the button on the left) after it blinks rapidly for a while... it THEN blinks out it's current house code. The ONE BLINK would be house code "A". After it blinks it's code .... release the button and press in the NEW code. One press for "A", two for "B", three for "C", and so on. AFTER you've pressed the number of times needed to "tell it the code"..... hold the button DOWN on the last press. Continue to hold the button down till it "blinks back" the new code.

Repeat the process with the "unit code button" (the button on the right).

Home Automation is an always changing technology

bernard boule

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 10:10:36 AM »

Thanks for the response Dave. I was following instructions for the VCR Commander section 11. I had set the motion sensors up so they each controlled a different camera and that was working. What I then needed to do was get the VCR commander to start when motion was detected. I was unable to get the VCR commander to start the record function of the VCR. (I read somewhere in one of the discussions that the VCR Commander II will beep when it is activated. If this is so does it beep just once or does it beep 3 times? When I tested this system 6 months ago at home before I went to set it up for a friend last week I succeeded in having everything work but I don't recall if the VCR Commander beeped or not. It would be helpful to know if it should beep because then I would know for certain if it were recognizing the signal from the motion sensors.
        Back to the motion sensor programing for a second. When a sensor is set for, let's say camera 3, this is done by adjusting the unit code to 3, this is not the same code as the unit code that must be set for the VCR Commander, is that correct? and setting the unit code fro the VCR Commander is done simply by depressing the unit button and when we get the single flash we immediately press the unit button the number of times we want the code to be and hold on the last press and the code will be reprogrammed. Is that correct?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 01:17:25 PM »

The VCR commander must be set to respond to the sensor that controls each cam other wise it will not activate the record. If you have 3 cams controled with 3 motion sensors(one for each cam) then all three sensors must be programed into the VCR commander ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 06:02:56 PM »

(The) Tuicemen is correct!

I hadn't realized you are using the VCR Commander II (the regular old commander only accepts ONE record code signal).

I also read you are using the Eagle Eye Sensors (MS16A). They also send a "dusk" signal on the +1 code. That means if you set the motion sensors to turn on cameras at codes: C-1 (House code "C" for camera, unit code "1"), C-3, and C-5. Codes C-2,4,6 would send "dusk signals".

So you should have cameras, motion sensors, and the VCR Commander II all set to trigger on House code "C" unit codes 1,3, and 5.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 06:28:45 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.