Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Inconsistant wireless camera signals  (Read 11710 times)

michlea

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
  • Going to catch my neighbor vandalising my property
Re: Inconsistant wireless camera signals
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2007, 09:31:39 AM »

I agree with you Dave.  There isn't anything in my home that is on during the day that isn't at night.  I suspect it may be something with a neighbor or neighborhood.  You can't filter that...although there is one neighbor I'd like to filter!!!!   lol 

I may purchase one filter just to see what happens.  I've also noticed that the front motion sensor doesn't trigger the camera consistantly at night....all in all it's been a very frustrating experience and I think the system is as good as it's going to be...

I might try the extension cord idea just to see what happens...although most of my plugs have power strips in them...I'll keep you posted if things improve....
Gonna Get 'em!

Michlea

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2007, 11:44:53 AM »

. .... There isn't anything in my home that is on during the day that isn't at night.  I suspect it may be something with a neighbor or neighborhood.  You can't filter that...

Actually ... you can. You can install a line filter at your service panel (AKA fuse box). This could filter out rouge FM or other signals carried into your home from the power lines.

You may have a phase problem that degrades the line signal in your home. A brief explanation: Your 220/240 service at your service panel consists of two separate 110/120 power lines (each line is a separate "phase" of the service) that enter your home. Typically one side of the panel (AKA breaker box) is feed by one line and the other side by the other line. This separation of the two phases can cause commutation problems for X10.

An uninterpretable power supply (battery back-up) can absorb your X10 line signal. Also, those little battery charging devices can play havoc with a X10 line signal, even sometimes when NOT ON... just plugged in. Cell phone chargers are infamous for creating line noise... even when the phone isn't plugged in.

These issues can be addressed aggressively... or passively. The decision is personal, and there is lots of information here on the forum about such issues.

Your system is small enough, it should be possible to relocate camera power sources, and your transceiver to the same phase. Often it can be as simple as mapping your circuts and selecting which plugs to use. Or just flipping a few breakers off, and see what goes OFF.

I might try the extension cord idea just to see what happens...although most of my plugs have power strips in them...I'll keep you posted if things improve....

That is what I would do.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

HA Dave

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2007, 08:53:49 PM »

I am using eagle eye.  They can be set to see all the time or only at night.  Mine are set to see all the time.  The sensors trigger the cams day and night like they should, however, I get no picture from cam 1 & 2 during the day.

My Vcr is operating through my In and out jacks on my DVD recorder.  When the picture isn't clear I get the "No signal" or "unstable signal" message on my tv screen.  FYI - I can get the VCR commander to work on the dvd recorder as well, but I choose to set it up on the VCR incase I want to watch a DVD. The way I set it up I can record automatically on the VCR but Manually on the DVD recorder.

Been thinking about you problem.... and RE-reading your posts.

could it be... everything IS working correctly.... and the "No signal" or "unstable signal" message is the only problem? Could the set-up you have with the "Vcr is operating through my In and out jacks on my DVD recorder" be robbing camera signal ?

It would be easy enough to check.

michlea

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
  • Going to catch my neighbor vandalising my property
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2007, 11:55:57 PM »

It's always possible....I'll go directly through the VCR tomorrow and see if my set up is causing problems...

I have a few things to try before I give up.  I do have cordless phones also.  Tomorrow I'll figure out what household circuit carries the phone and internet.  I'll see if there's any possibility I can plug the 2 affected cams into a circuit not associated with the phones.   I put up a motion light by the back door.  The camera goes out when the light does....lol  It's alright though...if the light goes out, there is probably not anything to record anyway!  lol

I'm half way tempted to run a whole new electrical line from the breaker box just for my x10 stuff.  That may help unless the noise is coming from the main electrical line into the house.  As you said, that could be also...

Thanks for your continued support.  I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.
Gonna Get 'em!

Michlea

HA Dave

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2007, 12:25:10 AM »

I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.

I will keep checking in!
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.