Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Problem - Motion Sensors not working outdoors  (Read 7946 times)

michlea

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
  • Going to catch my neighbor vandalising my property
New Problem - Motion Sensors not working outdoors
« on: May 29, 2007, 01:35:35 PM »

:'( :'( ??? :'( :'(

I've mentioned this problem in my 2 other threads but it really is a new topic and thought I'd better treat it as such.  I'm getting so frustrated with this x10 system!  Just when I thought all was well, I mounted the motion sensors outdoors and now they don't work. I can't find any info on range on the instructions.

The first motion sensor worked on the inside of my front bay window but doesn't work on the outside of the very same window.  I have it mounted on the molding between the panes of glass in the front window.  How close does an object have to be before it will work?

Help!!!
Gonna Get 'em!

Michlea

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
Re: New Problem - Motion Sensors not working outdoors
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 02:53:03 PM »

...I have it mounted on the molding between the panes of glass in the front window....
Are you saying that that you have it behind glass? If so, I don't believe that will work.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

JMac

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 04:10:07 PM »

The sensor will NOT work through glass !  Check out the principle of the sensor (somewhere in the knowledge base here.........)

JMac

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 04:16:31 PM »

From the Yahoo Wickipedia on PIR's ............

"Manufacturers recommend careful placement of their products to prevent false alarms. They suggest mounting the PIRs in such a way that the PIR cannot 'see' out of a window. Although the wavelength of infrared radiation to which the chips are sensitive does not penetrate glass very well, a strong infrared source (a vehicle headlight, sunlight reflecting from a vehicle window) can overload the chip with enough infrared energy to fool the electronics and cause a false (non-intruder caused) alarm. A person moving on the other side of the glass however would not be 'seen' by the PIR."

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 05:04:18 PM »

michlea

As others have stated, the motion sensors do not work well through glass. The motion sensors "sees" infra-red light (heat) movement and most window glass filters out infra-red.

Don't know where you live, but most motion sensors will also decrease in sensitivity during hot summer days. The problem is, as the outside temperature approaches the 90's it becomes difficult for the sensor to distinguish moving heat of a body or car against a very hot background.

Hope that helps a little.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

michlea

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 06:45:57 PM »

Hi guys,

I guess I explained the location of the first motion detector as "behind glass" but it is not.  Its mounted on the outside of my home on a 4" wide wooden molding that separates the panes of glass on my front bay window.  I think there is enough glass around that area though that I will move that sensor to see what happens.  Glass doesnt explain why the other two sensors are not working outdoors.  But today, I noticed that the VCR is ocassionally kicking on to record, but no picture from the camera...

PULLING MY HAIR OUT!!!  lol
Gonna Get 'em!

Michlea

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 06:55:05 PM »

....... But today, I noticed that the VCR is ocassionally kicking on to record, but no picture from the camera...

Seems to me I addressed this in another post..... But this post gives more info. It would seem it's your "transceiver" that is not receiving the motion sensor signal. Try finding a better place for the motion sensor.

Better may mean... closer to the sensors, closer to a window, higher up, away from any electrical devices, any other plug in your home.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

michlea

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 07:09:59 PM »

Hi dave, Yes you did address this in a different post. After we talked I thought I'd better address this in a whole new topic line to be fair to all who may have this problem and may not read the other topic.  Sorry, I'm new to this!  lol  I didn't know the vcr was turning on until I started this thread earlier..

Please feel free to reply and work with me on this topic line instead.  I'll keep you posted as I replied on the other thread.  I ppreciate you all VERY much!  I feel you are all helping me to protect myself from my vandalising neighbor...

:-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Gonna Get 'em!

Michlea

michlea

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007, 10:39:44 PM »

I wanted to give you fellas an update on my motion sensor problem.  I moved the transceiver to another location.

The fiirst motion sensor that was mounted outdoors on the molding near the glass windows was moved.  The camera is now turning on but the VCR isn't.

The second motion sensor - the camera is coming on but VCR isn't.

The third motion sensor - (which is the furthest away lol) one of the batteries wasn't pushed all the way in and the codes were erased!   lol  I've reset the codes and it is now turning on the camera and the VCR  YEAH!!

It appears to me that I have to keep moving the transceiver around until all sensors trigger the picture and the VCR to record.  If I can't get the transceiver in a place that will work for all....I will have to move the 2 non-recording...sensors around a little...

Do you agree?  Any more advice still welcome.  You've gotten me this far!!!
Gonna Get 'em!

Michlea

HA Dave

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2007, 10:46:55 PM »

It appears to me that I have to keep moving the transceiver around until all sensors trigger the picture and the VCR to record.  If I can't get the transceiver in a place that will work for all....I will have to move the 2 non-recording...sensors around a little...

Do you agree? 

NO

You've found the right place apparently....for the transceiver. It is receiving info from the sensors... AND getting that to the cameras (the cameras are turning on).

Now.... let's try to get the VCR commander in a better place to the sensors... it's what now ALSO needs to receive the motion sensor RF signal.... to turn on the VCR. Before you move the commander... make sure it's batteries are in....or it will lose it codes.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 10:50:16 PM by Dave_x10_L »

michlea

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2007, 11:48:49 PM »

Thanks Dave, I haven't yet put batteries into the VCR commander.  I'm a little concerned about the codes in the VCR commander.  We had a very brief power outtage (about 2 seconds) and some flickering here this afternoon while I was working on this system.  I wonder if it erased 2 of the codes but not one...Do u think that's possible?  The front camera did record once... then later it didn't do it again...I dont remember if the power outtage was in the middle of that time period.  I'd hate to have to do the VCR commander codes all over again...

I'll start by moving the VCR commander around within the limits of the IR cable and see what happens.  If nothing, I may have to redo my VCR codes?  Do you think a 2 second power outtage can cause the codes to erase?  By the way...I accidently clicked the "not helpful" link by accident.  I immediately changed it to "helpful" and it added the point back in.  I hope I didn't mess you up too bad! 
Gonna Get 'em!

Michlea

HA Dave

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2007, 09:47:26 AM »

I haven't yet put batteries into the VCR commander.  I'm a little concerned about the codes in the VCR commander.  We had a very brief power outtage (about 2 seconds) and some flickering here this afternoon while I was working on this system.  I wonder if it erased 2 of the codes but not one...Do u think that's possible? 

Could be you lost your codes! You can check that by using a remote set the same as the montion sensor. Using your remote check that all the correct codes trigger all the correct functions. Then .... put batteries in the VCR Commander.

michlea

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2007, 11:01:17 AM »

The remote I have is the scan cam 8 unit remote.  All it does to my knowledge is turn the cameras on and off.  I don't think the VCR auto records from the remote.  Let me know your feelings on the remote. Maybe I have to do more online reading about it....

The good news is camera one is now turning on the camera and VCR with the motion sensor.  I'll know have to check 2 & 3 to see if they work with the new location of the VCR commander.

:D :D :D
Gonna Get 'em!

Michlea

HA Dave

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2007, 12:03:40 PM »

The motion sensors and the remote both send an X10 RF (radio frequency) signal that is (can be) received by BOTH your transceiver AND your VCR Commander.

Say your motion sensor is set for B1 (house code B, unit code 1)

Now say your camera is set to B12, you may need to move that little (1-8   9-16) selector switch at the bottom of the remote, to check BOTH you camera codes AND the sensor codes.

I often use a small screwdriver to change house codes on my CR12A remote to check remote functions I don't have a remote for. I keep a paper list of devices and house/unit codes to make this easier.

HA Dave

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2007, 12:08:20 PM »

The good news is camera one is now turning on the camera and VCR with the motion sensor.  I'll know have to check 2 & 3 to see if they work with the new location of the VCR commander.

You know of course..... your almost there!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.