Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: X10 Sprinkler Control  (Read 11649 times)

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
X10 Sprinkler Control
« on: June 08, 2007, 01:27:04 AM »

Say guys found this x10 compatible sprinkler control system only thing if you click the link it doesn't seem to indicate that it will work with Active Home Pro anyone know if this unit is compatible with AHP and if not do you know of a sprinkler system that is. Thanks

Tom j

http://www.hnausa.com/detail.aspx?ID=176

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
Re: X10 Sprinkler Control
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 09:37:20 AM »

We have had the Rain8 for 3 years, and it works perfectly with X10.  It interfaces with the powerline through a TW523 or PSC05.  More info is available on the WGL website:

http://www.wgldesigns.com/rain8.html

Jeff
« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 09:38:55 AM by JeffVolp »
X-10 automation since the BSR days

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 02:34:48 AM »

We have had the Rain8 for 3 years, and it works perfectly with X10.  It interfaces with the powerline through a TW523 or PSC05.  More info is available on the WGL website:

http://www.wgldesigns.com/rain8.html

Jeff
[/quote

Hi Jeff gota give you a brownie point for that one thanks any thing I should be aware of before I buy and could I use the remote to turn on my system  to impress my neighbors they are so superficial and I love it! ;D

Tom j
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 02:39:50 AM by tom j »

UncleRico

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 09:31:27 PM »

Gents,

Looking at the cost 89.99... It will do the trick.  I noticed how this module only lets you run 2 selective programs that you have to pre-program into the device with separate software.  You could easily set up a separate house code with as many appliance modules as required.  This would take a some work and soldering skills.  But if you take apart an appliance module there is a nifty relay inside.  Disconnect the 110VAC lines and solder in your own wires for external use -  in line for the +24v to the sprinkler valve.  Make a hole for the wires going out, etc.  This would be much more fun to program with a few macros and timers and would offer you the flexibility to turn on each zone as you wish.  You can program the buttons to activate macros with the use of flags to make the remote operation of the valves mutually exclusive if you like, too. I do have an EE background and wouldn't recommend this to anyone who doesn't have basic electrical experience.  But you might as well hack away.  I'm wondering if anyone has hacked the modules like this?  Right now they have a sale for 49.99 that gives you 3 appliance modules, 3 light modules, 2 lights switches and a remote..  Combine that with the other sales to get the other transceiver you need and you have spare x10 stuff to boot...

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 12:41:00 AM »

Sorry I missed that earlier post.  The Rain8 can be directly controlled by X10 commands.  So you don't have to use the default schedules if you don't want.  Here the Ocelot monitors the daily temperature, and adjusts the irrigation cycle based on time of year and the maximum temperature on the prior day.

While it is certainly possible to build a X10 "kludge" around appliance modules, the Rain8 does have some built in safety features, such as the automatic timeout on each zone.  Since I already have an Ocelot and Secu16 for I/O, I could easily have opted to use that for irrigation control.  However, the Rain8 is designed for the job, and I don't have to worry about inductive spikes and sticking reed relays in the Secu16.  WGL makes a good product.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

reskin

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 04:41:51 PM »

I created this service about a month ago and have been using it to irrigate our garden. It is far more accurate than using a traditional timer and rain switch and costs about the same (or less).

I am looking for beta testers to install and use the service. All hardiness zones are welcome! We really need some people with multi-zone setups or complicated watering plans to put it to the test.

http://www.virtualrainsensor.com

Anyone who signs up before August 1 will receive a lifetime gratis account. We will find your closest weather station that fits certain reporting criteria (specifically solar radiation readings aren't supported everywhere yet).

reskin

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 10:42:52 AM »

We are all set up for a new season... wanted to make sure everyone had the new link as the old domain is going away:

http://www.x10irrigation.com

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.