Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wall Switch And Fan/Light  (Read 2820 times)

Wizenet

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
Wall Switch And Fan/Light
« on: June 25, 2007, 03:05:15 PM »

I am new to X10 and trying to make the Wall Switch work with Celling Mounted fan/light. Wnen I turn on the switch, my fan makes noise which I do not hear on traditional switch. Ideas to solve this are appreciated..

Thanks

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Wall Switch And Fan/Light
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 04:17:12 PM »

Wall switches that dim are not made for fan motors and many do hum. If you can split the light from the fan. It could be controlled by a dimming wall switch. A WS13A switch with a mechanical on off relay in it can control a fan motor. Will not dim only on and off. Also it would also need a Neutral power wire in the switch box.
X10 Pro makes a module XPFM; that mounts inside a light or fan housing. That would need the old switch on all the time.

gil shultz

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
Re: Wall Switch And Fan/Light
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 11:02:58 PM »

Good Evening,

The wall switch uses a Triac to replace a contact.  This is a solid state device that can be gated on when the AC is passing through the positive or negative half of the cycle.  It can be gated on at any point but will not turn off until the AC goes through the zero current point (capacitance and inductance change this from the zero voltage point).  The triac then must be gated to turn on each ½ AC cycle.  The Triac is not truly 100% on so you are getting a chopped sine wave into the motor causing it to vibrate mechanically causing hum or the noise you hear.  The X10 switch is ok for the light portion and will work great but the Motor does not like the modified sine wave and complains. 

The X10 switch will cause the motor to operate hotter possibly to the point you can destroy the motor and or X10 switch.  It will slow the motor if it does not destroy itself.  This is caused by the increased slip as the gating of the triac is cut back i.e. Going from 180 degrees per half cycle to zero.  Loading of the motor etc will have a large effect on the slip and consequently the speed.

Triacs can and are used to control motors without problems but the circuitry using them is different then when dimming lamps. The inductive component of the motor complicates the control circuitry increasing its cost.  Also when doing this with a motor a universal motor is normally used not the typical motors (probably variable reluctance) used in ceiling fans.

A simple rule around the home is motors and florescent lamps use contacts tungsten lamps use triacs or contacts.  This has many exceptions but they have to be examined on a case by case basis.

Hope this helps
Gil Shultz

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.