Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Alternative X10 Software for the CM15A?  (Read 8410 times)

gder

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Alternative X10 Software for the CM15A?
« on: July 03, 2007, 12:12:33 PM »

The AHP software is good for basic macros and simple control setups, but I need something more powerful to really do what I want.  So far I've looked at Mister House (the CM15A is not supported in Windows) and Home Domination, which due to a bug is unable to receive X10 codes on my system.

Has anyone found software other than AHP that will work with the CM15A?

Regards

Gene

Boiler

Re: Alternative X10 Software for the CM15A?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 04:35:36 PM »

gder,

MControl (Embedded Automation) does support the CM15a interface.  They also offer a free evaluation package.

http://www.embeddedautomation.com/EAHAmControl.htm

I tried this package over a year ago.  At that time they did not support conditional triggers (but were supposedly working on them).  I'm not sure what there current package includes.

As far as I know, there is not a software package (other than AHP) that will allow you to download and execute from the CM15a.  These packages operate on the PC and use the CM15a to monitor and transmit PC generated X10 commands. 

What exactly are you trying to automate?  The AHP package might be accused of being a bit "buggy" but there's a lot of functionality (timers, macros, conditionals, Rf transmission, extended X10 calls, Windows function calls).  Let us know what you're trying to accomplish - Someone on the forum may have already tackled the problem.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 05:21:53 PM »

Has anyone found software other than AHP that will work with the CM15A?

What software are you using with AHP?

AHP has a suite of available software. If you don't at least have the "smart macros" you may find AHP a little inadequate. Also you will find a host of available "add on" software written buy users like yourself.

I use BVC with my AHP so I can control my setup with voice commands.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 10:06:12 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

gder

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 07:59:46 PM »

What exactly are you trying to automate?  The AHP package might be accused of being a bit "buggy" but there's a lot of functionality (timers, macros, conditionals, Rf transmission, extended X10 calls, Windows function calls).  Let us know what you're trying to accomplish - Someone on the forum may have already tackled the problem.

A lot of what I'm after is how macro's are triggered.  Home Domination has an extremley flexible macro interface that supports multiple triggers and multiple modes.  A macro can be triggered from multiple motion sensors (say if any or all are active) and can be automatically enabled/disabled based on a configured mode.  Some of the conditionals also make a little more sense (to me anyway) than AHP.

I can have a setup where the house automatically goes into "away" mode if no motion sensors are triggered for a period of time.  Same thing for guests coming over, parties.  The best thing is it's already all coded in, I don't have to do anything.   :)

I did email the developer and he said getting the CM15A working properly is on top of his list right now..  I realize I could probably accomplish a lot of this through AHP using the SDK to script out some of this stuff but it's really more programming than I want to do.  I don't even keep a compiler installed these days because it's just not something I've been doing a lot of.

AHP has a suite of available software. If you don't at least have the "smart macros" you may find AHP a little inadequate. Also you will find a host of available "add on" software written buy users like yourself.

I use BVC with my AHP so I can control my setup with voice commands.

Sorry, I should have been more specific.  I am using AHP with the Smart Macro add-on.  I got the package with all of the software add-ons but those are the only two I really use.  I never could get the internet control to work properly through my nat proxy.

Thank you for the responses.

Regards

Gene

Boiler

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 11:37:37 AM »

So far I've looked at Mister House (the CM15A is not supported in Windows) and Home Domination, which due to a bug is unable to receive X10 codes on my system.

I demo'd Home Domination as well and had the same problem.  Home Domination could send X10 commands but could not receive (the X10nets process would intercept the codes).  This is not supposed to be an issue with the CM11. 

I did a little more poking around on the Embedded Automation site.  MControl V2.0 is in beta testing and supports conditional macros and Vista as well.  I might give this another try.

http://www.embeddedautomation.com/mControl%20v2%20(Home%20Edition)%20Summary.pdf

In regard to your motion triggered Home/Away mode -

I can have a setup where the house automatically goes into "away" mode if no motion sensors are triggered for a period of time.  Same thing for guests coming over, parties.  The best thing is it's already all coded in, I don't have to do anything.   :)

I use a Keypadlinc to enable a Home/Away mode on my system (can't use motion sensors due to the pets).  I would think you could use conditionals and Flags (or dummy switches) to accomplish the same with your motion sensors -

Motion Macro (You'll need a macro for each motion sensor that you want to monitor)
  Trigger if Motion 1 and Home (home can be a flag or dummy switch).
  Away Timer
Else
  if Motion 1 and Away
  Set Home (flag or switch)

Away Macro
  Delay XX
  Set Away (flag or switch)

When in Home mode -
1) Motion will call the away Macro and start the delay timer.
2) Subsequent Motion will re-call the away Macro and re-start the timer.  (note - this timer will be running whenever you are at home activating the motion sensors).

When in Away mode - Any motion will trip switch the house from Away to Home mode.

I'm not sure if this is what you were trying to accomplish (you may have been looking for more qualifications on the motion sensors i.e. dates/times etc). 

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.