Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: how does this work!  (Read 14766 times)

robbyred

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
how does this work!
« on: July 20, 2007, 01:07:54 AM »

hi, i am an electrical contractor and am wondering how i can make money at X10 if all the product is for sale on the web site, and the customer knows the prices of all the products

thoughts?

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
Re: how does this work!
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 12:34:35 PM »

As a contractor you probably realize that you have to provide good service to be successful. The money isn't in product markup. This goes at least double when you're working with X10 products. They'll always be a source that undercuts the price you can sell a particular component. The way to make money with X10 is to provide setup and follow up service.

Are you using X10 yourself? I wouldn't recommend any X10 installer that hadn't worked with the product already themselves. The best way to become familiar with need for couplers and signal boasters as well as dealing with signal suckers and noise generators is first hand with your own system. Only after you've troubleshooted half a day to find out the reason the light in your room didn't come on was because your wife plugged in her laptop in the next room and you still want to take on a similar challenge from a complete stranger, are you ready.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Don N

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 02:57:06 PM »

I really agree with steven r ... you will be most successful by providing X-10 installation and follow-on customer service.  Using X10 products yourself is a must.  It will give you an opportunity to experience what your customers experience.  This experience will become very valuable as you persue your goal. 

Look around this forum.  There are a lot of different problems being discussed and solved.  Ask yourself, how could I have helped to solve the problem?  What would be my approach to solving the problem?  Where are my resources?  What more do I need to learn?  Maybe I should specialize in one or two aspects of X10 installation before I take on the whole X10-world.  Specialization will give you an opportunity to build good customer relationships.  Expand your service as you build product expertise.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 10:33:22 PM »

hi, i am an electrical contractor and am wondering how i can make money at X10 if all the product is for sale on the web site, and the customer knows the prices of all the products

thoughts?

As an electrical contractor ..... and you install (a regular, normal, old fashion) ceiling light and a new switch. If the customer has access to the light, switch, and wire at the local building supply store.... how do you make any money?

I can only guess! But I would guess, you are selling a service (instead of a product).
« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 10:37:30 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.