Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Taming CFL's  (Read 6705 times)

Waynemor

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
Taming CFL's
« on: July 27, 2007, 04:32:34 PM »

I have been researching the topics about CFL's and have found a fair amount of information around the forums. I would like to suggest to the moderators that this should become a "pinned" subject where we can share our problems and what we have learned.
CFL's are not going to go away any time soon and being able to use them is going to be a part of running a system. In Canada they are talking of banning incandescents in 5 years.
I am willing to start things out with my experiences so far.
Note, I am in Canada so some brands are bound to be different here.
Currently I have 11 CFL's running in my system.
1. RONA's own brand are very noisy. I bought a 4 pack and created major issues.(Not being used)
2. Noma are very quiet. I have 9 of them.(6 13 watt and 3 23 watt)
3. Equality (A&P brand in Canada) are OK so far. I have 2.(23 watt)
With Noma the LM465 lamp modules seem to work (with no dimming)
Appliance modules work with everything.
The WS12A wall switch will not work if you have a fixture with all CFL's or only 1 CFL.
The WS12A wall switch will work (with no dimming) with multi-bulb fixtures where you leave one incandescent unit in.
The WS467 wall switch is the same

I think this is a good start
W

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Taming CFL's
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 06:45:49 PM »

I have been researching the topics about CFL's and have found a fair amount of information around the forums. I would like to suggest to the moderators that this should become a "pinned" subject where we can share our problems and what we have learned.

That sounds like a pretty good idea.

CFL's are not going to go away any time soon and being able to use them is going to be a part of running a system. In Canada they are talking of banning incandescents in 5 years.

I have been using the CFL's in my home for nearly a decade. More recently, I have been trying some LED lights. LED's are still pricey, as CFL's once were, like CFL's LED's also have color "issues".

I can remember when the sodium lights became popular and as people became "discontent" with the yellow-ness of the light ... the blueish-green mercury vapor lights took they're place.
Quality of light... or lighting that is pleasing to the eye.... is more and more what I am reading about. Don't take me wrong! personally I like the dim yellow glow of my CFL here next to my easy chair.

I live in America, and here we have politicans that will attempt to make NEWS with talk of laws that little sense. It helps them get name recognition. But waste "experts" are already saying we are producing too may mercury laden CFL's for our landfills, even now. Safety groups are questioning if CFL's should be used in homes with children. I am sure PETA will soon be warning people not to use them if they have pets.

Even though I use CFL's (and X10) and like BOTH. I really think CFL's will both come and go, like vacuum tubes, 8-track tapes, and dial-up Intenet.

I am willing to start things out with my experiences so far.
Note, I am in Canada so some brands are bound to be different here.
Currently I have 11 CFL's running in my system.
1. RONA's own brand are very noisy. I bought a 4 pack and created major issues.(Not being used)
2. Noma are very quiet. I have 9 of them.(6 13 watt and 3 23 watt)
3. Equality (A&P brand in Canada) are OK so far. I have 2.(23 watt)
With Noma the LM465 lamp modules seem to work (with no dimming)
Appliance modules work with everything.
The WS12A wall switch will not work if you have a fixture with all CFL's or only 1 CFL.
The WS12A wall switch will work (with no dimming) with multi-bulb fixtures where you leave one incandescent unit in.
The WS467 wall switch is the same

I think this is a good start
W

Thats great infomation! Thanks you for sharing.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.