Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Will 5.8Ghz cordless phone cause problems????  (Read 24899 times)

Innova

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Will 5.8Ghz cordless phone cause problems????
« on: May 04, 2007, 12:57:26 AM »

I'm thinking of buying a video sender.
Question1.I'm aware the havoc 2.4 Ghz cordless phones have on picture quality.
Would a 5.8Ghz cordless phone cause the same problems if the send and recieve
product is 2.4Ghz?

Question 2. 
What if your TV has no RCA jacks?  I assume there's an adapter of some kind if TV just has
a coax cable input?   ( GE Spacesaver 10" color TV with no jacks).

Hehe, 1. No   2. yes  (?)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 01:03:03 AM by Innova »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Will 5.8Ghz cordless phone cause problems????
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 05:51:05 AM »

1. No one has reported a problem with the 5.8 Ghz phones that I can remember.

2. They make a device that converts the composite video; like from the X10 video receiver; to an RF TV signal. Known as a RF Modulator. Radio Shack use to carry them. Not sure if they do any more.

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 07:17:24 AM »

I'm thinking of buying a video sender.
Question1.I'm aware the havoc 2.4 Ghz cordless phones have on picture quality.
Would a 5.8Ghz cordless phone cause the same problems if the send and recieve
product is 2.4Ghz?

If you get a true 5.8GHz cordless phone, then yes.  Just be aware that there are some "cheaper" hybrids, which use both 5.8GHz and 2.4GHz, but only tell you about it using 2.4GHz in the fine print buried in the manual somewhere.

Also remember, that WiFi uses 2.4GHz too.    That was something I could not solve, and actually ended up buying 5.8GHz video senders (non X10).   Luckily, these "cooperate" with my 5.8GHz phones, and neither interfere with each other.  And, of course, there is no cross interference with my WiFi network.
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 07:55:32 PM »

I use:

• Two different sets of 2.4Ghz wireless phones.
  • A wireless broadband router (2.4Ghz), actually using it right now.
  • The X10 wireless video sender/receiver to broadcast my cameras to the upstairs TV.

They all work perfectly. OK there is one channel (of the four) on the video sender that I can't/don't use because the phone will make the picture have lines. And there is a channel (one of four) on my wireless router (that I don't use) that will lose signal (and drop me off-line) when the phone is used. So I had to do a little adjusting.... and I only use the channels that don't interfer with the phones (cause I can't select a different channel on the phones).

I will admit I've pretty much tied up my 2.4Ghz... I can't do much more with it. But it's not an ether/or.... there is a lot of bandwidth there.

Home Automation is an always changing technology

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 02:04:39 AM »

...If you get a true 5.8GHz cordless phone, then yes.  Just be aware that there are some "cheaper" hybrids, which use both 5.8GHz and 2.4GHz, but only tell you about it using 2.4GHz in the fine print buried in the manual somewhere....
Panasonic use to be one one the worst offenders even in their high end phones. The box would call the phones 5.8GHz but would spew some BS else where about how the use of both frequencies (5.8GHz one direction and 2.4GHz the other) improved reception. The last time I was looking at phones, Panasonic had switched to a true by-directional 5.8GHz signal. They labeled the new boxes as WiFi friendly. On the other hand, I've never seen a high end 5.8GHz Uniden phone that was dual frequency. I've also seen some cheap 5.8GHz phones that were analog.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

x5o

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 01:14:00 AM »

I have had several "fits" over the past several years over what I thought were defective products (Radio Shack cordless security cameras, Panasonic cordless phone, wireless router, etc.)  Because these items were not always in use at the same time it took me a long time to figure out the culprit...........the GHz brothers............2.4 and 5.8.  It has been my experience that the 2.4 security camera and 2.4 phone kill my wireless networking ability.  Because the networking ability is more important to me, I gave the 2.4 phone to my mother and simply switched to a Panasonic 5.8 cordless system with a 5.8 Panasonic security camera that is an option for the Panasonic system I bought.  It did claim on the box that it was "WiFi" Friendly.  I wonder if they knew all along that their  other models were "unfriendly" or if it took them a while to figure it out like me.  All of this leaves me perplexed as to whether or not I should invest in x10 products because they seem to use 2.4 GHz for all of their wireless applications. I don't want to upset the delicate peace that exists now among my electronics! Any advice would be appreciated. 

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007, 01:37:15 AM »

I most likely will replace my phones with on of the new DECT 6.0 phones now that the price has dropped. Uniden has a model I think I may get when I decide to replace my phones.

http://www.deviceforge.com/news/NS9790688989.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DECT
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 10:43:10 PM by steven r »
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Boiler

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007, 12:03:02 PM »

x50,
...All of this leaves me perplexed as to whether or not I should invest in x10 products because they seem to use 2.4 GHz for all of their wireless applications. I don't want to upset the delicate peace that exists now among my electronics! Any advice would be appreciated. 

X10 automation devices (remotes and motion sensors) transmit RF at 300MHz (North America) and 433 MHz (Europe and ASIA).  This should not affect your 2.4 GHz devices.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2007, 12:12:02 PM »

...X10 automation devices (remotes and motion sensors) transmit RF at 300MHz (North America) and 433 MHz (Europe and ASIA).  This should not affect your 2.4 GHz devices.
Most, if not all, of the X10 wireless cameras do use 2.4 GHz. 2.4 GHz phones, wireless routers, and microwaves can effect performance of the camera transmissions.

Boiler

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2007, 04:34:55 PM »

Most, if not all, of the X10 wireless cameras do use 2.4 GHz. 2.4 GHz phones, wireless routers, and microwaves can effect performance of the camera transmissions.

Steven,
You're absolutely correct.  I mistakenly thought this thread dealt with home automation RF (should have read the "entertainment" header - DUH).

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.