Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: vcr commander II not recording  (Read 11475 times)

porsche4786

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
vcr commander II not recording
« on: August 06, 2007, 02:18:00 PM »

I've read a bunch of stuff but I can't seem to find what my problem is. I programmed the VCR commander II and it all went well, so I thought. But I trigger a motion detector the VCR commander just beeps about 4 or 5 times then stops, it doesn't record the light flashes about once a second, same time as it beeps. It will do this whenever the motion detector is triggered. I'm not sure what exaclty is causing this. Any help would be appreciated.

I did get it to record one time but that was it.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 03:06:38 PM by porsche4786 »
-Kevin

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
Re: vcr commander II not recording
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 06:58:04 PM »

Lets try this first clear the motion detector code see instruction "clearing motion detector codes" then reprogram the motion detector code you want to use you don't have to use a motion detector to do this if you have a remote control handy you can use it for example if your motion detector is going to be B2 then just press B2 on your remote if you have a motion detector handy you can use one it's just not necessary. After you clear the last code inter the new one, then press that code on any remote and the blinking should increase about 2x a second. Now what I've discovered is that the VCR Comander2 dies on me after about 6 months even a new one in the box that I tested when I first got it appears to have failed and won't reconize the motion detector code I program in. Luckily I still have the warranty, but this is the third set some component in mine keep failing after you setup the motion detector codes well move on to the programing the VCR.

Tom j

porsche4786

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 07:14:13 PM »

Lets try this first clear the motion detector code see instruction "clearing motion detector codes" then reprogram the motion detector code you want to use you don't have to use a motion detector to do this if you have a remote control handy you can use it for example if your motion detector is going to be B2 then just press B2 on your remote if you have a motion detector handy you can use one it's just not necessary. After you clear the last code inter the new one, then press that code on any remote and the blinking should increase about 2x a second. Now what I've discovered is that the VCR Comander2 dies on me after about 6 months even a new one in the box that I tested when I first got it appears to have failed and won't reconize the motion detector code I program in. Luckily I still have the warranty, but this is the third set some component in mine keep failing after you setup the motion detector codes well move on to the programing the VCR.

Tom j

I tried it again but I've also done that about 10 other times today hah. I also have reprogrammed the record and stop with the remote and it all went well, just like in the instructions. It would not work with the palmpad though, only with the sensor for programming. The light does blink fast when the sensor is set off. But still no recording. I have moved the infrared emitter around on the VCR and I know it's right over the right spot.
-Kevin

tom j

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 12:45:17 AM »

Timing is key when setting up the Video Commander 2 let me dig up my instructions it'll work. Well it should anyway.

Tom j

tom j

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 01:33:17 PM »

I've read a bunch of stuff but I can't seem to find what my problem is. I programmed the VCR commander II and it all went well, so I thought. But I trigger a motion detector the VCR commander just beeps about 4 or 5 times then stops, it doesn't record the light flashes about once a second, same time as it beeps. It will do this whenever the motion detector is triggered. I'm not sure what exaclty is causing this. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Porsche try this link and see if it helps we'll get ya up and running! Let me know if this resolves the problem.

Tom j

http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/VCR_Commander_Quick_Setup

porsche4786

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 02:43:37 PM »

Hi Porsche try this link and see if it helps we'll get ya up and running! Let me know if this resolves the problem.

Tom j

I tried that page many times yesterday as well, I just gave it another shot today. After I follow the instructions exactly, when I'm done I trip the motion sensor and all that happens is the light on the VCR commander starts blinking more rapidly, but the VCR does not start to record. I have moved the IR sensor around too. Also, when I try to program with the palm pad instead of a sensor it won't work. And when I put it in Home mode, every time a sensor is tripped the VCR commander beeps like 5 times. When I reset the IR commands the light only blinks 12 times, not 13. When I press 'REC' and 'STOP' for programming the IR commands it blinks 4 times not 8.
-Kevin

tom j

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 07:51:44 PM »

Tom j

I tried that page many times yesterday as well, I just gave it another shot today. After I follow the instructions exactly, when I'm done I trip the motion sensor and all that happens is the light on the VCR commander starts blinking more rapidly, but the VCR does not start to record. I have moved the IR sensor around too. Also, when I try to program with the palm pad instead of a sensor it won't work. And when I put it in Home mode, every time a sensor is tripped the VCR commander beeps like 5 times. When I reset the IR commands the light only blinks 12 times, not 13. When I press 'REC' and 'STOP' for programming the IR commands it blinks 4 times not 8.

Well there's no reason you shouldn't be able to program it with a Palm Pad the VCR Commander 2 doesn't know if the signal is coming from a motion detector or Palm Pad so lets try again using the Palm Pad first though you need to clear the memory of the VCR Commander 2 this is where I initially had my problems. I thought just by unplugging the thing you could clear the memory but you can unplug the thing for a week and it will still retain that information in memory. So lets first do this so that we'll be on the same page. Press and hold the Play button until you hear a long beep and the red light comes on, release and press again the light will turn off and memory should now be cleared. Now select the unit and house code and press the play button on the Commander, it will light up then press the code you selected on your remote, it should beep and the light goes off. Walla! the unit has now been programed for the unit and house code you selected. Let me know how it goes then we'll move on.

Tom j

porsche4786

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007, 08:43:25 PM »

I'll try again on monday, but I've tried the palm pad numerous times and got nothing, I don't see why either, it doesn't make any sense, and I know the palm pad is working because I can use it to switch cameras.
-Kevin

tom j

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2007, 09:47:35 PM »

I'll try again on monday, but I've tried the palm pad numerous times and got nothing, I don't see why either, it doesn't make any sense, and I know the palm pad is working because I can use it to switch cameras.

Make sure you clear it according to the instructions I gave you, I've verified this with x10 it doesn't matter where you get the code for example A1 is A1 weather it's coming from a motion detector or a palm pad.

Tom j

porsche4786

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2007, 11:39:54 AM »

No problems programming the code, other than it still will not work with the palm pad. The palm pad does work though because when I push buttons it switches to the different cameras. But it programs just fine with the motion sensor. I wonder if this VCR commander is just defective.
-Kevin

tom j

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2007, 03:03:14 AM »

No problems programming the code, other than it still will not work with the palm pad. The palm pad does work though because when I push buttons it switches to the different cameras. But it programs just fine with the motion sensor. I wonder if this VCR commander is just defective.

Can someone else jump in here there's no reason it shouldn't work with the Palm Pad, how can it work with a motion detector and not the Palm Pad. ???

Tom j

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2007, 09:27:14 AM »

[Can someone else jump in here there's no reason it shouldn't work with the Palm Pad, how can it work with a motion detector and not the Palm Pad. ???

Tom j

You are correct Tom... the Palm Pad (HR12A) will definitely work as a substitute for a motion sensor when programming the VCR Commander.

...and I know the palm pad is working because I can use it to switch cameras.

Could porsche4786 be using a Scan Pad and not a Palm Pad? I have never used a Scan Pad, so i don't know if they send out a standard X10 RF Signal.

porsche4786

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2007, 11:13:53 AM »

[Can someone else jump in here there's no reason it shouldn't work with the Palm Pad, how can it work with a motion detector and not the Palm Pad. ???

Tom j

You are correct Tom... the Palm Pad (HR12A) will definitely work as a substitute for a motion sensor when programming the VCR Commander.

...and I know the palm pad is working because I can use it to switch cameras.

Could porsche4786 be using a Scan Pad and not a Palm Pad? I have never used a Scan Pad, so i don't know if they send out a standard X10 RF Signal.

nope, it's right here in my hand, 'PalmPad Remote Control Model HR12A' I'm guessing the vcr commander is no good.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 11:16:42 AM by porsche4786 »
-Kevin

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2007, 03:10:53 PM »

nope, it's right here in my hand, 'PalmPad Remote Control Model HR12A' I'm guessing the vcr commander is no good.

If you can program it using the motion detector, then I'm having a difficult time believing the vcr commander is bad.

Two, somewhat obvious, but need to be asked since they were not already stated, questions I have are:

1) Is the HouseCode of the PalmPad set to the same HouseCode as your Motion Sensor?

2) Are you pressing the same UnitCode button on the PalmPad as the UnitCode of the Motion Sensor?

porsche4786

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2007, 04:48:25 PM »

If you can program it using the motion detector, then I'm having a difficult time believing the vcr commander is bad.

Two, somewhat obvious, but need to be asked since they were not already stated, questions I have are:

1) Is the HouseCode of the PalmPad set to the same HouseCode as your Motion Sensor?

2) Are you pressing the same UnitCode button on the PalmPad as the UnitCode of the Motion Sensor?

Well, housecode wouldn't really matter since you are programming, should work no matter what, right? But yes, I do have it on the correct code I am using. And for which button, I'm using one of the top 4 'on' buttons, so any should work while programming, right?. And the remote does work to switch between cameras just fine. A new VCR commander is on the way though, just to make sure, if it turns out that isn't it then I have a spare.
-Kevin
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.