Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Can dimable Energy Saving Lamps work with X10 dimable Lamp modules ?  (Read 6732 times)

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
Re: Can dimable Energy Saving Lamps work with X10 dimable Lamp modules ?
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2007, 03:19:00 AM »

Do those actually claim to be dimable?   :o

They do not work.  :(
I tried Wal-mart bulb made by Light-of-America. It flicker when connected to electronic dimmer. Goes off if tried to dim. They supposed to be compatible some type of dimmer but they seems to be keeping that info top secret.  :D

Drat!  Back to the drawing board!  (That "manufactured in China" "Atomic Monster Kit" didn't pan out very well either!)   ???  >:(
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2007, 06:48:28 PM »

They do not work.  :(
I tried Wal-mart bulb made by Light-of-America. It flicker when connected to electronic dimmer. Goes off if tried to dim. ...................

I think dimming is over-rated! Although I do use dimmed lights as part of my theater setup (regular indoor floodlights). Those lights are used so seldom and for such a short period of time, any saving by switching to CFL's would be measured in fractions of cents (not even whole pennys).

And lets face it, CFL's suck for reading light. A 20 watt high-intensity halogen is much better than a 14 watt CFL, and at a cost (electricity use) of 6 watts. I'd rather save my eyes.
Achieving the comtemporary home lighting scenes we all want, takes more than "dimming the lights".

In a room with widows on only one wall, a single bright table lamp (with a CFL bulb) on the windowless wall could be just whats needed to remove the shadows on a bright sunny day. That night, in the same room, a couple up-lighting lamps (also CFL's) on the windowed wall and a raised (dimable) floorlamp near the center of room could make the room look warm and cozy.

Fortunately, creating these room scenes, at the push of a button (or a voice command), is where X10 really shines (pun intended).
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 06:58:55 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

RCaddict

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
    • My Hobby Site
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2007, 09:05:12 PM »

I use CFL's to provide indirect lighting using hidden fixtures and use dimable normal lights to create room setting. That way I can shift the most of the energy consuming general lighting part to CFls and low energy mood setting part to incandescent lamps saving energy while preserving the ambient.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2007, 10:27:58 PM »

And X10 is perfect for automating that.... so you don't need to run around the room(s) to get the lighting right.
Home Automation is an always changing technology
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.