Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: VCR Commander is junk!  (Read 7838 times)

mjwillyone

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
VCR Commander is junk!
« on: September 04, 2007, 11:11:14 AM »

I have never been more frustrated during the setup-phase of an electronic device as I have setting up my VCR Commander!  I am close to throwing this out the window!  I have not only followed the instructions that came with the unit, I got on this forum and printed every post concerning the commander.  One post said that you should begin pressing the record and stop keys after the first beep of the commander.  I tried that.  Another said that you should use an X10 remote that has been setup to work with the VCR.  I tried that.   The directions that came with the unit said that you may have to point the remote at the commander at various angles.  Yikes, I tried that.  What a joke.  Now what do I try?????????????   If X-10 does not exchange me a unit that works, I am NEVER buying X-10 products again.  I have spent over 3 hours on this one unit and without it, my "security cameras" are useless.

Mark

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
Re: VCR Commander is junk!
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 11:18:01 AM »

Some find this to be a better set of instructions to follow:

Setting Up and Learning with VCR Commander

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 12:56:25 PM »

I've found one of the most important things when training the VCR Commander to recognize the IR from the remote is to do it under very dim room lighting, and make sure the IR detector in the VCR Commander is not pointing in the direction of a window (during daytime) or any other potential source of stray IR.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 01:06:40 PM »

Ditto to Charles Sullivan and Puck.

Plus (and I know you read the directions) the commander won't learn with the IR emitters plugged in, once programed make sure you have the emitters over the IR port on the VCR (many VCR IR ports aren't where they would appear to be... check with a flashlight). Make sure the remote has new batteries, and "play" with distance (in the dark room).

And..... I had one VCR that just would not work.. I tried another one...and no problem.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

porsche4786

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 12:26:50 PM »

I have never been more frustrated during the setup-phase of an electronic device as I have setting up my VCR Commander!  I am close to throwing this out the window!  I have not only followed the instructions that came with the unit, I got on this forum and printed every post concerning the commander.  One post said that you should begin pressing the record and stop keys after the first beep of the commander.  I tried that.  Another said that you should use an X10 remote that has been setup to work with the VCR.  I tried that.   The directions that came with the unit said that you may have to point the remote at the commander at various angles.  Yikes, I tried that.  What a joke.  Now what do I try?????????????   If X-10 does not exchange me a unit that works, I am NEVER buying X-10 products again.  I have spent over 3 hours on this one unit and without it, my "security cameras" are useless.

Mark

I agree with you, I have bought two VCR commanders and neither have worked. Both beep different amounts of times during programming also. I might just cut my loses while I'm ahead and buy a camera system from costco, which comes with a DVR even! Only thing is I have to spend about $700 if I want one that includes the power cord in with the RCA cables for the camera...I hate having to run wires to the cameras, but at least it will be reliable. Or they have some for around $450 also...
-Kevin

porsche4786

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 08:55:40 PM »

yeah, no kidding, i'm done with this crap. it's amazing how a company can be this ****ty.
-Kevin

porsche4786

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 10:47:33 PM »

Report them to www.bbb.com file a compant. It kind of helps. If you want to email me I have a way to extend range. Or if you can get your MONEY BACK.

x10.com come and buy our (qualty products) sorry I was in lala land I ment to say JUNK

it's not a matter of bad range, it's a matter of they don't work and both I've gotten beep different amounts of times and such.
-Kevin

zach1234

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 04:47:02 PM »

I would get a refund.

porsche4786

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 04:54:54 PM »

I would get a refund.

I got em from an ebay store....it's been far too long for a return. Glad they were cheap.
-Kevin

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2007, 05:56:52 PM »

I would get a refund.

I got em from an ebay store....it's been far too long for a return. Glad they were cheap.

You need to distinguish between the eBay store of an X10 authorized reseller and an eBay X10 surplus dealer.  X10 stuff that I've purchased from surplus dealers (because they were el-cheapo) tended to be of questionable quality - often intermittent.  I haven't had problems with stuff direct from X10 or from the authorized X10 resellers.  (YMMV of course).

I suspect X-10 sells pallet-loads of rejects and customer returns to surplus dealers.  If so, they're not entirely blameless when the quality of their products is suspect.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2007, 06:16:45 PM »

I recently upgraded a computer with DRAM I bought from a used PC dealer at a flea market.

My thought was if the DRAM worked..... I would be a cleaver shopper... and have bragging rights. If it hadn't worked I would have just had to re-buy the DRAM from a brick-and-mortar dealer.

I am NOT comparing E-Bay with flea markets.... but if someone else did... who am I to argue.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

porsche4786

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2007, 06:31:31 PM »

they came from x10 express on ebay. He has a 30 day return policy, but I never had time to mess with the thing to make sure it wasn't working, so I gave up my ability to return the things.

edit: well, I guess there is a one year warranty......

I would get a refund.

You need to distinguish between the eBay store of an X10 authorized reseller and an eBay X10 surplus dealer.  X10 stuff that I've purchased from surplus dealers (because they were el-cheapo) tended to be of questionable quality - often intermittent.  I haven't had problems with stuff direct from X10 or from the authorized X10 resellers.  (YMMV of course).

I suspect X-10 sells pallet-loads of rejects and customer returns to surplus dealers.  If so, they're not entirely blameless when the quality of their products is suspect.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 06:36:57 PM by porsche4786 »
-Kevin

porsche4786

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2007, 08:46:19 PM »

yeah, i know, i've read a lot. i gave up with this a while ago.

I think X10 has problems hav you even bothered to read the forms.
-Kevin

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.