Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Speech  (Read 13362 times)

Aquadeveloper

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: Speech
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2007, 05:12:49 PM »

I built a voice controlled environment system using X10 modules and a old DOS voice input board years ago
with 2 'Radium-Shack' wireless headsets for a few handicapped kid's.  They could say the name of the room
they wanted, the system would respond over the voice controlled radio that the selected room was received, and
the user could then say for ex: "Ceiling light on".  The system would turn the light on, and respond over the radio that
"Ceiling light command received: Light On".

Systems are still working to this day, never had any problems.  Just have to remember to replace the batteries in the radios. :)

1 other thing I learned years ago about voice recognition, If you utilize a USB RAB drive to hold all of your voice files,
you will find the response to commands a lot better even with the 'fast' harddrive speeds of today.

Just my little 2 1/2 cents worth to throw out there.   :P

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Speech
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2007, 05:53:59 PM »

I built a voice controlled environment system using X10 modules and a old DOS voice input board years ago.............

You really ought to try BVC!

You won't believe what Bill's Software can do. It even controls IR devices now. I have a (YouTube) video on my Web Site... you can check-out.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 12:12:28 AM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Duck69

• Helpful Post Rating: 36
  • Unselfish Love
A little to the left
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2007, 12:13:51 PM »

I've contacted Bill regarding BVC as it seems to be very good according to the posts.
Alas ! Woe is me.....
I do have Windows XP on my Mac. BUT, I hate using it. Therefore no BVC for me, that is unless Bill suddenly switches, which I doubt he will.

Anyway, here is some more fun stuff.

Salling Clicker available for Mac & Windows. Allows you control from a cell phone etc.
I have a Palm T3 PDA which has bluetooth and worked flawlessly with Clicker installed on my computer and the T3 to control my X10 system.
BUT, I wanted longer range so I bought a WiFi card for the T3. It still works flawlessly and now I have the extended range I wanted.

Since, I'm becoming a control freak. I might as well mention Telephone Message centers.
These can also be used to control your system from ANY phone. Let's say you're on your way to work and forgot to turn off the coffee pot.
You whip out your cell, call home and turn it off.

At present, I'm waiting until next year sometime to get a new cell phone / pda.
With the introduction of the iPhone, many other manufactures are scrambling to come up with competing devices at around the same price point.
Nokia has already announced that they are open to 3rd party software. Steve Jobs announced "Let me just say it: We want native third party applications on the iPhone, and we plan to have an SDK in developers’ hands in February.

We should see some awesome devices in the coming year with reasonable prices.
With increased competition and the expiration of AT&T contract with Apple, I believe we could expect to see a revision of the iPhone.
It looks as though 2008 will be a good year for consumers looking for a "Do It All" device. Cell Phone calls, WiFi, VOIP, Web, Music and yes even TV on the device.
Will this actually happen ? Maybe, maybe not in 2008. BUT it will happen. The technology is there.

"I'm not lazy, I'm just Resistant to exertion."
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.