Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How good/durable are these X10 cameras  (Read 7695 times)

cj4331

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
How good/durable are these X10 cameras
« on: September 15, 2007, 11:52:42 PM »

I'm thinking about getting the 4 camera wireless system
http://www.x10.com/products/xx16a_ed_cam_41806_promo_1019.html
I'm turned off by their cheesy late night tv sales show type web site but I'm lured by the promise of getting this type of system at this price.  I don't care to read license plates but want to know if someone is breaking into my house or car etc.  I want to be able to select a camera and see what is going on from work mostly.  Is this stuff any good.  I don't want to throw $300 away.  I'd also like to find a kit with a couple door sensors and whatever I need to have that email me when they are tripped.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: How good/durable are these X10 cameras
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 03:12:03 AM »

I use X10 cameras and they are great. They are tough little dependable workhorses. They do need light to work... so you will need floodlights if used outside. If your new to the camera stuff you may want to look at a one camera package, I like a mix of wired and wireless cams.

To get the emails, you will need the AHP (active home pro). The AHP is a PC interface (get the entire software suite) software and interface is only 50 bucks.

You can get the X10 alarm system (DS7000) for about $100, and even get phone calls when tripped.

The really GREAT thing about X10! The cameras, lights, alarm, software... remote access, home automation. It all intergrates, all uses the X10 technology and allows you to continue to add-on and build your system as your needs and wants change.

P.S. Yeah..... the cheesy web site... nobody is perfect.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 10:33:33 AM »

...P.S. Yeah..... the cheesy web site... nobody is perfect.
Cheesy is an understatement. I feel like my intelligence is insulted every time I go to the site.
I think the cameras are a good value, also. I have a little problem with the range of the wireless ones and that they work on 2.4 GHz, however.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

HA Dave

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 11:13:46 AM »

I think the cameras are a good value, also. I have a little problem with the range of the wireless ones and that they work on 2.4 GHz, however.

Your right (of course) the wireless anything has it's limits and this certainly includes cameras. I get great range from wireless... but could never cover all the areas I want to wirelessly... that's why I use a mix. I started out with ONE camera, and moved it around checking out coverage and views. I learned a lot with the one camera, and that helped me design the rest of my setup. One of the cameras I use is a X10 wired color cam, extended 60 feet (I used CAT5).

The 2.4 GHz, hasn't proved to be a problem for me. I also use two different sets of 2.4 GHz phone, and wifi (on my wireless laptop now). But I did have to do a little jiggling.

cj4331

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2007, 11:21:49 AM »

I must say I can't figure out a thing from their site.  I'm just getting very ticked off trying to find out what they offer and any real info on the products.  The 4 camera kit includes the Vanguard Control Center Software sw26A which I take it is better than active home but as I said I can't really figure anything out.  It really seems you get taken for a ride if you just want one or two items.

HA Dave

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2007, 12:23:55 PM »

It really seems you get taken for a ride if you just want one or two items.

The package deals are the way to go! But the packages do come in many sizes. The AHP is an interface, not just a software. I really do recommend the AHP.

It would be difficult (at BEST) to try to understand X10 technology by reading the ad's. Read here at the forum, and if you look at what is included with the deals... you will see the PDF instructions... those can be Helpful.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2007, 02:19:26 PM »

In many of the deals. If you click on the Whats Included tab. You can find the parts in the kit and maybe a link to the users manual for download. Also some general instructions are in the Support Area.   http://www.x10.com/support/support.htm
The X10  Knowledgebase also maybe a help. http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Main_Page
Some great tutorials here on the forums also.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2007, 09:18:42 PM »

I must say I can't figure out a thing from their site....
With only a few exceptions the X10 site is a frustrating, intelligence insulting place to navigate through but there are some good deals to be had if you make it.
If you see something you have a question about, ask here.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 03:10:17 PM »

cj4331:
I'm still using a color wired x10 cam which has been outside in the elements for 8  ::) or more years!
I have wireless cams as well but haven't had them in operation for as long the picture is as good if you can get good reception (no interference)
One thing that has occurred with the cam is the back ground image is burnt in (to long focused on one object)
It really is only noticeable if I turn the cam to a light colored background! ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2007, 05:27:02 PM »

....... the back ground image is burnt in (to long focused on one object)

Are your cameras on 24/7 Tuicemen?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2007, 05:34:02 PM »

No Dave!
I now have them controlled via security sensors and AHP and are only on for short periods !
Also all cams are now on Pan & tilt mounts!
The one that suffered the burn in was in use long before AHP and the pan & tilt bases were available and was left on 24/7 for a good length of time using Xray Vision and a firecracker interface!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2007, 05:46:55 PM »

The one that suffered the burn in ............................ was left on 24/7 for a good length of time using Xray Vision and a firecracker interface!

Yep..... thats what I kinda thought. My X10 cams have only be in service about a year and a half.... but I am very impressed with them.

cj4331

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2007, 10:29:48 PM »

This is pretty hard to figure out what to do.  I need something with 90 degrees of coverage and it will be mounted on an out building 70 foot from the house which is what I want to watch.  It can also see out the drive.  Night vision isn't that important as this is mostly for day use while I'm at work.  Reading license plates isn't required but I want to have an idea who I'm seeing go in the house.  It'll have to be wireless as getting a wire to it with the obstructions in the way would require 200 plus foot of wire.  I know because I had to buy and run the electrical wire to wire that building from the house.  I'm not interested in video recording just remote viewing.  I can see the need for simple wired camera for one room in the house too.  It can use cat5 or wireless.  I'm not going to run coax.  I would consider other brands etc.

HA Dave

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2007, 08:44:57 PM »

I need something with 90 degrees of coverage and it will be mounted on an out building 70 foot from the house which is what I want to watch. 

90 degrees and 70 feet? I don't know of any regular cam that can do ether. You will need a camera with a pan-and-scan to get the 90 degrees and with a real zoom to get the 70 feet. The only reliable - affordable solution I know of would be the X10 sentinel. And then ..... broadcast distance... could be a problem.

Maybe.... you could redesign,or re-engineer your camera plan...maybe 2 cams instead of one.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 08:47:57 PM by Dave_x10_L »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.