Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: x10 to avoid running wire  (Read 3428 times)

bobtins

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
x10 to avoid running wire
« on: September 24, 2007, 02:45:54 AM »

I just bought a 100 year old house with plaster walls and primitive wiring, with no 3 way switches anywhere! I'd like to be able to control some lights from more than one place (basically set up equivalent of a 3 way switch) by using a stick-on switch to avoid wiring. It looks like the SS13A is the only stick-on switch I can find anywhere. I'd like to have a choice of only having 1 or 2 things to switch (less complicated, cheaper). I'm also surprised that there aren't more stick-on products and most of the x10 goodies are wired, except for TV-like remotes and the SS13A. Am I missing something?? I suppose I could just use a bunch of SS13A's but I wonder if there are more options.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: x10 to avoid running wire
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 11:57:43 AM »

Well you are missing the key fob style remotes, but the WAF goes way down when you hot glue them to the wall.

No you are not missing anything if you confine yourself to X10.com. A decade ago X10 offered a two switch RF remote, but those were replaced by the three switch "Stick-A-Switch". From a price stand point X10.com has your best offering. If you don't mind paying bigger bucks, go to www.Smarthome. com and look at their X10 compatible Leviton controller http://www.smarthome.com/4201wr.html which at one time offered both one and two button wire in transmitters. This sytle requires a neutral wire in the switch wall box, which your 100 year old house may not have. Also look at "keypadlinc" while at Smarthome. 

Probably the simple answer to your question is "No, you are not missing anything". 
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 06:17:20 PM »

It looks like the SS13A is the only stick-on switch I can find anywhere. I'd like to have a choice of only having 1 or 2 things to switch (less complicated, cheaper).

Maybe the 3 buttons would seem nicer.... if you thought about using them. Like the top button as the normal on off. The bottom button for the room your leaving, and the center button for the area your entering.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

John026

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
  • "Somebody grab the sawsall"
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 11:47:18 AM »

This brings something to the table worth looking at. Less wire. A retrofit to have less wires may not be practical but in a new construction enviorment it makes perfect sense to me.  With a home automation system at the panel in conjunction with the wiring is there a need to pull wire to all the light switches? Sure the fixture itself needs power but the switch does not. The actual switching is done at the panel area (or as I like to envision it an electrical room) via the RF remote ( even a low voltage powered remote, my favorite because there is no little battery). There would even be a cost factor involved that would offset (less wire/more home automation goodies) each other to some degree. With the main computer at the panel everything is centralized. And is upgradable. It will be interesting to watch home automation unfold because of its practicality. I really think the way new homes are built will change to include home automation.

Side note:  Your robot won't have to turn out the lights..........we beat him to it!!!!

John

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 11:51:57 AM »

Less wire???????? Pulling wire is my OTHER hobby.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.