Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Anyone try phase couplers/amplifiers to fix AHP/x10 problems?  (Read 10869 times)

jkarney

Re: Anyone try phase couplers/amplifiers to fix AHP/x10 problems?
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2007, 01:48:47 PM »

dahur,
Have you received the XTB yet? If so, how is the XTB working for you?

dahur

• Helpful Post Rating: 10
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2007, 04:34:05 PM »

dahur,
Have you received the XTB yet? If so, how is the XTB working for you?

Yes, I received it, and all my 7 of my devices are now working. The only glitch I have is, in my bathroom I have a light bar over the mirror, and have 6 CFL's there. I found that if I have the bathroom lights switched on, I go back to only being able to use 2 devices. Off, and I get all 7. So that must be a real "signal sucker". I know the XTB helps. because I tried this without it, and I could still only get 2 devices to work with the bathroom lights off. That switch isn't x10, so I'm wondering if I get a CFL light switch, if that will fix it.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2007, 04:56:18 PM »

The only glitch I have is, in my bathroom I have a light bar over the mirror, and have 6 CFL's there. I found that if I have the bathroom lights switched on, I go back to only being able to use 2 devices. Off, and I get all 7. ................. so I'm wondering if I get a CFL light switch, if that will fix it.

From my own experience.... I would suggest unscrewing the CFL's one at a time. You may find one signal CFL has been the root of most of your problems.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2007, 05:19:28 PM »

The only glitch I have is, in my bathroom I have a light bar over the mirror, and have 6 CFL's there.

CFLs can radiate noise in the X10 frequency band.  Modules that do not incorporate AGC can see that noise as a continuous series of "1" bits.  Unless the module incorporates AGC to raise the threshold above the noise level, the stronger signal from the XTB will not help.  More information on how to deal with CFLs can be found here:

http://jvde.us/x10/x10_cfls.htm

The best way to deal with CFLs controlled by a wall switch is to install the small Leviton 6287 in-line filter between your wall switch and the first CFL in the string.

Jeff
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 11:28:17 PM by JeffVolp »
X-10 automation since the BSR days

HA Dave

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2007, 06:32:45 PM »

Modules that do not incorporate AGC can see that noise as a continuous series of "1" bits. 

Yeah... that's what I would have said... if I would have known that's what caused what I've experienced. Thanks Jeff!

dahur

• Helpful Post Rating: 10
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2007, 07:13:40 PM »

From my own experience.... I would suggest unscrewing the CFL's one at a time. You may find one signal CFL has been the root of most of your problems.

Great suggestion. I removed two of the global style ones I've had for years, and left the remaining coil types in, and my devices all function with the lights on.

HA Dave

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2007, 07:48:48 PM »

Great suggestion. I removed two of the global style ones I've had for years, and left the remaining coil types in, and my devices all function with the lights on.

Thats because those two CFLs likely radiated noise in the X10 frequency band, and X10 saw that noise as a continuous series of "1" bits. (Thanks JeffVolp)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 07:54:01 PM by Dave_x10_L »

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2007, 08:22:25 PM »

That's because those two CFLs likely radiated noise in the X10 frequency band, and X10 saw that noise as a continuous series of "1" bits. (Thanks JeffVolp)

::) Hey Dave we might start calling you Jeff Jr.  ;D

Although Dave's suggestion was a good one and helpful. I had a very old CFL that I also had to replace. The newer ones seem to be more X10 friendly. (less noise)

----------------KDR
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.