Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Thank-you for yor help  (Read 3163 times)

John026

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
  • "Somebody grab the sawsall"
Thank-you for yor help
« on: October 31, 2007, 05:08:01 AM »

I want to thank the people who have helped me attain a high level of reliability with X-10. Without the information found here (in the forum) my X-10 would not be installed. My Home is 2700sq ft with lots of obstacles (back-up power,grid tie inverter,transferswitch, dual meters, out building, etc. etc. wires everywhere!)not to mention the distances I want some RF devices away from the house. My intention is not to bore you with my place only to say that if x-10 can work here than it probally can work for you too, and like so many It just wasn't going to work here because of the conditions. The goal is Home Automation, do the things I do everyday and if something changes do that too. None of what I am going to say is new or improved but rather the same old thing from a new person. First goal for me in my quest for success was the brain or brains. The CM15A and the AHP software. Then for me the antenna mod found in this forum ( I'm not an electronics person but was able to go to Radio Shack and buy a few parts for about $10. along with some welding rod, spend 15min putting it together then put it in the attic and increase my range to who knows where. My eagle eye has no trouble at 125ft down the driveway, wow I have to throw a big thanks to that post. Before, that eagle eye was doing its own thing along with a few others. So the RF side of the equation is now working in my application, which brings in the powerline side (the electricity).  Now I'm no expert but if I listen to the experts and gain something from them, then this is the time to do it was my  thought because this was all new to me. I just wanted my home to be automated. Me personally I don't need to know how something works, if I flip a switch then good enough, Also, if you tell me to do something I may or may not do it, If I trust you I will do it. So we have the brains and now we need the Heart(a power booster). I chose Jeff Volps XTB-IIR for the heart. He sells this thing in kit form or assembled, I went with the assembled. Then put a designated circit below the panel and wired in the XTB, then plugged the CM15a into that, while I was in the panel it was recommended that I put in a filter also, so the X-10 PRO PZZ01 (coupler also) went in at that time.  Now I Know my terminology is off here but Jeff's little box is what will make sure your signals or commands make it through your powerline with authority, just like a heart pumping blood to every artery in your body.  But what if something still doesn't work, then what, don't worry, and don't get upset, You have almost made your goal Home Automation,  (Oh before I forget if all you want is to run a couple of modules then you can probally achieve that if you stay on the same leg of your panel). Next is just a simple question, why. Why does it work sometimes and at other times not. Again, don't give up, and I cannot really answer that for you, but I can for myself,and the answer was easy, First I took out all my CF L's ($750 worth) then put a filter on every electronic device that I could.  And that is it in a nutshell. Does X-10 work? It does at my house. Thanks again

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
Re: Thank-you for yor help
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 09:15:26 AM »

Thank you for your post!

While it may be frustrating from time to time, X10 is hands down the best thing going in home automation for the money!
Hopefully your perseverance will encourage others.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 09:23:29 AM »

John026: Welcome to the forum, and thanks for sharing your story.

It's always nice to here how others were successful in getting their system to work reliably.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 12:22:35 PM »

I want to thank the people who have helped me attain a high level of reliability with X-10. Without the information found here (in the forum) my X-10 would not be installed.

DITTO

You've come a very long way with X10... in a very short time John. These guys here at the forum have some great ideas too (worth sticking around for).
Home Automation is an always changing technology

John026

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
  • "Somebody grab the sawsall"
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 05:58:38 PM »

Thanks for the kind words, I feel fortunate to have this vast data base to draw from. It caused me to start with known issues and give my system the best chance before running around the house and trying to get a module to work! I've been at this for about two weeks now and feel my system should be able to handle whatever I throw at it. My philosophy, start with the goods!! you wont regret it!

John

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.