Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Remodel problems  (Read 16084 times)

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
Re: Remodel problems
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2007, 04:29:36 PM »

I hope you reported the electrician to the BBB! Please save others from the same fate.

Based on what?    ???

Not installing 3-ways switches, in places which might not even normally get them?
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

Hoonose

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2007, 04:34:32 PM »

That was the least of my electrical woes with the remodel:

Main electrical panel left opened, uncovered and unfinished, wires protruding.
Stair lights never completed.
Never installed ceiling light fixture at garage entry.
Many wall switches and plugs throughout the house left unfinished with wires hanging out.
We lost all switched plugs in both living room and family room.  Wiring never completed.
Recessed can lights in living room inoperative, never wired properly.
Wires and plates to entertainment unit unfinished.  Wires to overhead entertainment lights never installed or never found.
Wiring and switching him to art lights never completed.
Guest bathroom light unfinished.
Under cabinet wires in the guest bathroom left unfinished, exposed and hanging out.
Guest room electrical panel unfinished, uncovered and not completed.  Wires exposed.
Pool bath exhaust fan not hooked up.
Recessed can lighting in the office, unable to turn off, and porch cans lights not operative.
Hall recessed cans placed on the same circuit with wall sconces.
Same on the porches.
Office cans X5 all on the same circuit. Was supposed to be 2 + 3.
One plug left incomplete, behind a drywall in my closet, wires exposed, causing plugs in all new closets all to be inoperative and not completed.
Plugs in the master bedroom addition not completed, not operative.
Exhaust fans in master bathroom,  X3(!), nonoperative.
Outdoor wall lights and floodlights unfinished and not operative.
Outside wall plugs left open, unfinished, with wires hanging out.
Electrical cable left exposed, unfinished on the roof.
Electrical cable left exposed, unfinished in the attic for the air handler.
Ceiling heaters X2 and most all lighting in the master bathroom placed on one single circuit!
Unable to operate without popping circuit.
Jacuzzi bath not hooked up.
Left out infrared heater cans X2 in the master shower.
Ceiling  fans X2 and one ceiling can all on one switch in the master bathroom!
Hair dryer plugs inoperative unfinished, both vanities master bath.
No light in kitchen pantry.
Shed light unfinished.
Pool light never hooked up.

So there's the list!

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2007, 05:21:04 PM »

The State Registrar's office was officially notified last week. Inspection scheduled for 12/6...
You have at least one person, me, interested in how the saga plays out. Post and let us know how the inspection goes.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Boiler

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2007, 07:28:19 PM »

Did you contract the electrical yourself or was the remodel handled through a general contractor.

General contractors carry insurance for disasters like this (presumably he selected and hired the electrician).  If you had a GC, I would expect that he would share at least part of the expense of making this right.

I've yet to take a legal route over incomplete or unsatisfactory work.  I much prefer to work things through with the individual.  Your list would make me think twice about that approach.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 07:31:21 PM by Boiler »

Hoonose

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2007, 08:05:52 PM »

I had a clueless general. He may be next....

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2007, 12:15:29 AM »

I had a clueless general. He may be next....
I hope you didn't pay in full in advance.
I think you have a good case and I sympathize with what you're going through.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Hoonose

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2007, 04:27:55 PM »

My general contractor says he'll step up to the plate and make good all my concerns. The Registrar's inspection is now put off until after the new year to give him a chance. It may be that he didn't pay the electrician, or in a timely manner. So we'll see. Meanwhile my own electrician will continue to make the necessary repairs.

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2007, 05:41:05 PM »

With that many problems and things left undone it sounds like the electrician just walked of the job. There must be more there then meets the eye. Hope all turns out OK for you in the long run and that it doesn't mess up your holidays to bad.

----------------KDR
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

Hoonose

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2007, 09:48:37 PM »

Probably more than meets the eye. I just got a letter the electrician wrote to the Registrar in rebuttal, containing a few gross lies. He says he never pulled a permit and worked time and materials. He says that he never talked to me or my wife about anything. And I'm guessing the general didn't pay him for the whole job. But wouldn't the general have to have the permit?
Anyway, daily we get closer to closure.
Mostly the outside electric to be done. But no big deal since the new landscaping and other yard goodies aren't done either.
I think we found an active outlet in the living room for a tree! But not switched, of course

Hoonose

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2008, 10:49:22 PM »

So far I've spent about $10K with an electrician friend going after all my electrical problems one by one. Most are fixed. I went with the Insteon 3 way dimmers in the kitchen and master bedroom as recommended, otherwise the fixes were all conventional. I still lack switched outlets in the living room and family room, but that's a very minimal problem, and I don't think it's worth pursuing. So far the general has pitched in $4K, but we're not done.

Anyway I'm stuck without outside flood lights on both sides of the house. I would like to be able to have and run them both from both sides of the house, kitchen and master bedroom.  On the kitchen side there is the old outdoor dual flood fixture out there. The master side has 3 wall mounted lights, but no floods. The wall mounted lights I would like to run as a group, preferably from both sides of the house, as I already have 2 matching wall mounted lights out there midway on the back porch, that can be run from the kitchen and master. Only the middle wall mounted light of the 3 on the master side works, and is switched from the master bath doorway. It would be OK to 3 or 4 way from there.

So I need to remotely control 2 sets of floods from both kitchen and master bedroom.
And run the 3 other wall mounted lights on the master side in unison with the 2 already out there on the back porch, preferably controlled from both the kitchen and master.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.