Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wireless Home Security System hack  (Read 9141 times)

jcbobeda

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Wireless Home Security System hack
« on: December 01, 2007, 05:23:29 AM »

Hi everybody!

I have just ordered a Wireless Home Security System with a Voice Dialer Console (PS561).
Since my electrical system is 220 Volts, 50 Hertz, I cant use the normal X10 accessories to add an external siren to my security system.
Is there any way I can connect a 12 Volt or 220 Volt siren, wirelessly or hard wired to my PS561 Console using a relay or any other way?
Any suggestion will be very appreciated!

Juan

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
Re: Wireless Home Security System hack
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 10:45:40 AM »

Hi everybody!

I have just ordered a Wireless Home Security System with a Voice Dialer Console (PS561).
Since my electrical system is 220 Volts, 50 Hertz, I cant use the normal X10 accessories to add an external siren to my security system.
Is there any way I can connect a 12 Volt or 220 Volt siren, wirelessly or hard wired to my PS561 Console using a relay or any other way?
Any suggestion will be very appreciated!

Juan

It's a little expensive, but you could buy the European 230V, 50Hz version of the X10 Siren.  See:
http://www.intellihome.be/english/security.asp

This site:
http://www.idobartana.com/hakb/index.htm
has information about converting various X10 modules to 230V.  Unfortunately there are no exact instructions for sirens.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

jcbobeda

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 07:18:55 PM »

Thanks for your advice Charles but I was hoping to find how to add a siren I can buy locally.  As you say buying from Europe can be expensive.

jcbobeda

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 06:05:11 PM »

Hi everybody,

I received my security system today and I found out how to add an external 220Volt, 50 Hertz alarm to it!
I plugged the PS561Voice Dialer Console into a 220 Volt to 110 Volt transformer, then I simply plugged the LM465 Lamp Module in the same transformer and since they are both on the same side of the transformer they communicate with no trouble.
Finally, I connected a relay to the LM465 and when the relay receives energy, it activates a a 220 Volt, 50 Hertz external siren.
Now all I have to do is connect a UPS to my system so it will work even if the electrical power is cut off.

I hope this is helpful to someone else. :)

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 06:41:45 PM »

Test it carefully with an UPS. The Voice Dialer; I believe; has a small power transformer in it but the LM465 uses a line derived power supply. Some UPS outputs maybe a problem; as the modified sine wave; many produce; could overheat the lamp module. The input transformer in the Dialer probably could take such a waveform.

jcbobeda

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007, 07:50:45 AM »

Thanks for your advice Brian. I have 2 questions for you:

1) Will the Lamp Module overheating occur when the Lamp Module is set to OFF or only when ON?

2) I have noticed that after the alarm is triggered and sounds for 4 minutes, the Lamp Module stays ON. Is there any way to have the Lamp Module turn back OFF after the alarm stops sounding?

Thanks again,

Juan

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2007, 04:24:14 PM »

If the power supply in the module does not like the AC from the UPS it would not matter if it is on or off. Not saying all UPS units will do anything strange. I do know my APC BX1000 does not play well with X10 modules but two other APC models I have seem to be ok.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.