Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bad view  (Read 8559 times)

jelester

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Bad view
« on: December 16, 2007, 01:19:09 PM »

I bought 2 more cameras two months ago.  Both were wide view.  I already have eight cameras but wanted the wider view.  These cameras are so bright that the view is almost not there.  They have been like this since purchase.  Any ideas?
jelester

Don N

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
Re: Bad view
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 06:01:11 PM »

I had the same problem with three new cameras I just purchased.  The camera image has what I call "white-out."  I sent them back this week.  Hopefully, the replacements will be much better.  There doesn't appear to be any way to fix the problem.  I took the lens form one of my working cameras and installed it onto one of the "white-out" cameras.  But it didn't fix the problem.  So I suspect something is wrong with the circuitry.

zach1234

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 02:11:50 AM »

Try to spin the lens.

Don N

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 11:11:16 AM »

I still haven't received my replacement cameras.  If the new ones have the same "white-out" problem, I will try your (Priority Support) remedy.  Although I'm not quite sure what "spin the lens" means.  I have turned the lens to refocus the camera and that didn't work.

zach1234

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007, 01:22:56 PM »

Thats what I ment. Sorry I cant help you that much.

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2007, 07:22:53 PM »

Don N  you might try one of these 2 tests to see if it helps if the new cams have the same problem.

1 - If you have any camera shops around you could try picking up a Neutral Density filter or filter gel and tape it in front of the lens. This will cut down the light passing through the lens. These filters are available in differant density ratings (5 I think)

2 - If you don't want to spend the money for the filter gel try to place a fine mesh black nylon screen up close in front of the lens. This should also reduce the light going into the lens and still give you an image.

The above is not a fix for the problem but more like a test. The electronic shutter can't respond to the incoming light is what i think is the problem and by reducing the light may make the electronic shutter work correctly.

Happy Holidays

----------------KDR
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

Don N

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 11:59:36 AM »

I received the replacement cameras today and they have the same "white-out" problem.  They are unusable in their present state.  In my opinion, too much light causes the image to be washed out.  When I say too much light, I mean just normal indirect sunlight.  If I direct the camera to a dark corner of the room, then the image is somewhat acceptable.  But anytime the camera is pointed into the room where there is normal indirect sunlight, the image is washed out.  If the room is dark and I turn on a light ... the camera image is washed out.

My working cameras are vintage 2000.  So is the current batch of XX16A cameras all bad?  Are there other wireless non-X10 cameras that work in the X10 environment?  By that I mean cameras that are X10 addressable and work with the X10 Plug-Ins.  When I say X10 here -- I'm referring to the company.   

KDR -- thanks for the suggestions.  I'm not sure I want to spend more money to make these cameras work.  I might try the "fine mesh black nylon screen" as you suggest ...  if I can find something like that.

Anyone else found a solution?   

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2007, 01:54:58 PM »

............ So is the current batch of XX16A cameras all bad?  Are there other wireless non-X10 cameras that work in the X10 environment?  By that I mean cameras that are X10 addressable and work with the X10 Plug-Ins.  When I say X10 here -- I'm referring to the company.............

I think several of the regulars here (including myself) have played around with other cameras. The X10 cameras remain my favorite... of course I haven't received any "bad" ones yet ether.

The wireless cameras are a crap-shoot on compatibility. If you find a camera with selectable channels (like X10) you have a decent chance of receiving video on one channel. Audio... AND video compatibility.... I would guess.... your chances aren't so good. It could mean reconfiguring your set-up to incorporate the new camera(s). It's not legal in my state to listen to other people... so I have no experience with audio.

Of course, a wired camera is less of a problem.

The X10 cameras power supplies have a EXTRA feature I haven't seen anywhere else. The automatic turning OFF when another camera is the same group of four turns ON. For my NON-X10 cameras I use appliance modules.... and even when using a ScanPad remote I haven't been able to get the "auto- off feature".

When I put my camera set-up together.... I wanted to try a variety of cameras. And I kept adding and moving till I got what I wanted. In many ways... I really wish I would have went all X10... from the very beginning. It certainly would have been easier... IF THERE ISN'T A WHITE-OUT PROBLEM. I would think you would have to be bummed at the idea of RE-designing your system.

Maybe if you call X10 and explain... they can comp you a nice credit towards a sentinel.

Home Automation is an always changing technology

Don N

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2007, 02:27:38 PM »

Thanks Dave.  You are right I really don't want to redesign my setup.  Everything else works pretty reliably.  The one thing that kind of sticks in my mind is, X10 has different wireless cameras; (XX11A, XX16A, etc.) usually selling for $69.99.  I bought 2 - XX16As and 1- XX20A for a special price of $89.99 total.  Could it be that that's how X10 rids their warehouse of inferior cameras by offering special deals.  I wonder if I bought the XX11A or XX16A at full price ... would it work better because I got a "working" camera?  Just a thought.  I'm a believer in, "you get what you pay for"!!!   

Wired cameras are not an option for my setup.  Nor is a Sentinel.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 03:40:28 PM by Don N »

Don N

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 11:33:08 AM »

The picture on top is the good camera image and the other picture is the "white-out" camera image.  Both cameras are using the same electrical outlet looking out through the same window.  Both pictures were taken within one minute of each other.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 11:35:02 AM by Don N »

Don N

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 07:00:01 PM »

For an update, see   http://www.x10community.com/forums/index.php?topic=12405.0

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.