Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The most creative ways to Hide your Camera?  (Read 9844 times)

mderemick

• Helpful Post Rating: -1
The most creative ways to Hide your Camera?
« on: December 18, 2007, 04:21:46 PM »

I've been lurking here for a while, and finally ordered a Camera kit (should have it tomorrow). 

In the meantime, I've been looking around for tips on hiding these little bad boys - things like putting the whole unit in a bird-feeder or other creative ways of keeping it out of sight.

What are your best tricks for keeping these guys discreetly hidden away?

Some of my other ideas are:
Making a sniper suit for it, and putting it in the bushes (by sniper suit I mean gluing twigs and fake plant-like leaves to it to break up the outline, and throwing it in some bushes in front of my house).
Digging a small hole for it and covering the hole with some sort of domed plastic.  How I'll hide the plastic I'm not sure of yet. 
Bird feeder/bird house - as mentioned above, this is a straigtforward way to keep it out of sight.  Plus I don't have to glue sticks and crap to it...
Taking apart the camera and moving it's components inside some sort of lawn statue.
Taking apart the camera and putting it in my xmas wreath on my front door (ill need a battery pack though, bleh)

I'm sure some of you who've been here for years probably have much more well thought out ideas on this... I'd love to hear them!

Thanks!

westar

• Helpful Post Rating: -1
Re: The most creative ways to Hide your Camera?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2007, 11:49:54 AM »

Hi mderemick,

I have also used a birdfeeder to hide a camera. I am also using a deep 4 gang electrical J box that I got at Home Depot to hide a camera. It fits perfectly inside and the lens lines up perfectly with the punch out in the back. You can paint it any color you want to either hide it or blend it in to it's surroundings. This also provides some weather protection, even though the cameras are designed to be outdoors, I feel why not give them added protection if possible.

Any other ideas out there would be great, as this seems to be a concern of many readers.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2007, 10:36:48 PM »

These cameras are tiny.... and very easy to hide:

Inside the globe part of a lamp post.
Spray painted to match the trim paint of your home.
Inside a fake lawn lamp.
At the edge of a flower pot (no dis-assembly required).
behind a down spout.
Placed inside the home... looking out a window.
Attached to the vent pipe on the roof.

Things to keep in mind:

It's NOT a bad idea to allow a camera or two to be easily spotted... thief's shy away from being video taped.
It's more important... what the camera sees than how well concealed it is.
I like to arrange my cameras so... they keep an eye or each other... as well as the house.
In this area.... the leaves will return in a few weeks... some "views" may be obscured.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

zach1234

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2007, 10:00:14 PM »

I would listen to Dave hes a X10 Pro (get it). My cameras are in HUGE DOMES and I have signs all over like about 7 of them.

EL34

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
    • My X-10 projects
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2007, 07:24:07 AM »

If you are trying to hide them to pretty up the yard you can do any of the things suggested above.
The bird house thing doesn't work at my house, the flying squirrels move down from the tree nest and into all my bird boxes in the winter.  ::)

I would let them be known and even throw in some of those fake ones here and there if needed.

I would rather deter or stop it before it happens than to have pictures of someone leaving with all my cool toys.  ;D
« Last Edit: December 25, 2007, 07:27:39 AM by EL34 »
W10 - CM15A - AHP 3.301 - i Witness - MyHouse online - Smart Macros - SDK using Visual Basic express 2008
My X10 page-> http://www.el34world.com/Misc/home/X10_0.htm

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2007, 01:20:04 PM »

I would let them be known and even throw in some of those fake ones here and there if needed.
How true!
I would rather deter or stop it before it happens than to have pictures of someone leaving with all my cool toys.  ;D
But most likely you won't have pics of anyone leaving just coming, that is if you save the pics off site! If your not you'll be lucky if you have any pics! :'(
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

EL34

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
    • My X-10 projects
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2007, 04:37:03 PM »

How true, they could take my two 500gb network hard drives and my four networked computers.
I do have my video security system upload snap shots to my server so I can view them via the web whilst not at home.
And I get an email notification that an alarm has been condition has occured.

But all I may see is two guys in ski mask loading my new 50 inch plasma tv into a van down by the river!
W10 - CM15A - AHP 3.301 - i Witness - MyHouse online - Smart Macros - SDK using Visual Basic express 2008
My X10 page-> http://www.el34world.com/Misc/home/X10_0.htm

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.