Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: IR extender question  (Read 2380 times)

Franky

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
IR extender question
« on: December 19, 2007, 11:39:47 AM »

I just recently purchased the powerMID system to control my entertainment equipment from a remote location.  I didn't think that I would use the optional IR extender at the time of ordering.  Now I think it would be useful.  I already have an IR blaster with a jack that will fit the receiver unit   Are all IR extenders that have the same connection jack compatable.  I wouldn't want to plug it in and overload the circuit in the powerMID.

Thanks,  Doug
 ???

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: IR extender question
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 11:48:14 AM »

There is no "standard" for the blasters. May work, may not.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 01:48:48 PM »

There is no "standard" for the blasters. May work, may not.

dave w is correct (of course)! I have different brands and types and have yet to find two the same.

However... I have found that placement of the powerMID device can make all the difference. Mine actually faces away from the equipment and flashes (the invisible IR light) away from the equipment to the side of a sofa. What reflects back to the equipment is more than enough.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 06:02:12 PM »

Back when I use to use a PowerMID receiver with the CM14A, I had the receiver placed on a table exactly opposite to my TV.  Seemed to work pretty well from that location.
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.