Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Home Theater lighting  (Read 4909 times)

griff32

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Home Theater lighting
« on: January 08, 2008, 10:29:58 AM »

First of all thanks to everyone for taking the time to read this post and giving me any help as I am a newbie at this.

I am currently in the middle of building a dedicated home theater, and it occurred to me that having automated lighting would be a nice touch. I would like to control the lights using my Harmony remote (I read that someone else here does the same thing). Here is my set up.

1 switch controls 4 65W sconce lights, 1 switch controls 4 65W overhead can lights, 1 switch controls 2 overhead small can lights (I can remember the wattage), and one switch controls about 15ft of led rope lighting. The lights are all on their own circuit separate from the A/V equipment, and I am hoping that I should get little or no noise issues.

I would like to have different "scenes" for different applications. I now I will need an IR543 to be able to use my remote for this, and also a friend has given me 2 WS477 switches, but I really don't know if this would be a correct application for me. I am looking for advice on necessary hardware, and how to methods.

Thanks
Griff

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Home Theater lighting
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 05:54:49 PM »

I am currently in the middle of building a dedicated home theater,.......... (I read that someone else here does the same thing).

I am sure lots of people have done similar set-ups. My Home Theater setup is very similar. I recently replied HERE to almost the same question.

From your post... it sounds like you have already done your homework. If you haven't signed up for the X10 newsletter yet, you should do so. Look for X10 deals, and visit and read the forums.

X10 can certainly.. and easily add a very nice finishing touch to a HT.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 12:05:53 AM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

zach1234

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 05:59:39 PM »

Try a wall module with SOFT START they will give the realistic din on and off start.

Boiler

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 06:45:42 PM »

Griff,

Welcome to the forum.

The WS477 switches are rated for 500 Watts incandescent.  They are very capable of dimming your 3 incandescent light locations (sconce, large cans and small cans).

Your led lighting is a bit different.  I'm assuming that this is currently plugged into a switched outlet.  The problem here is that to do this "per code" you need a relay wall switch that can handle anything that might be plugged into that outlet.  It also sounds like you prefer a toggle style switch.  I'm at a bit of a loss to come up with a relay wall switch that meets those criteria.

If you have access to an unswitched outlet, you could try an appliance module (AM466).  Unfortunately these devices incorporate what is know as local control or current sensing.  There have been reports of problems (search the forum) when used with LED lights.  They are very easy and inexpensive.

Another option might be a X10 controlled outlet.  The X10 sr227 is rated for a full 15 amps and provides one X10 controlled outlet and one standard outlet.  Unfortunately, these have the same local control feature.  There are other manufacturers (Leviton) that make outlets without the local control feature.  I have not personally used these.  Another forum member may be able to help.

You mentioned scenes - scenes can be setup using a home automation controller (CM15a/ActiveHomePro) or using a "scene capable" switch.  Scene capable switches are available from Leviton and Smwrthome but are rather expensive (X10 does not carry scene capable units).  Since you already have the WS477 units, I'd suggest starting small and using the CM15a/AHP controller.

Using the CM15a/AHP you will be able to setup "macros" (turn off overhead cans, turn on led rope, dim sconce to 25%, etc) that can be "called" with your IR543.  Your lights will dim/activate sequentially (not in unison) unless you program them to the same house/unit code and execute only one command (theater lighting dim to 30%).

Again, I don't have direct experience with the Harmony remote and the IR543.  There are a number of members that have the Harmony (and love it).

Personally, I prefer to use a palmpad remote (RF) direct to my CM15a/AHP controller.  I like the fact that it's not a line of sight control, and the fact that it has nice large button and letters (visually challenged).  This does not work for all people.  The CM15a doesn't have fantastic RF range.  Depending on the size, construction, and layout of your home you may or may not get reliable RF.  Just thought I'd point out yet another option.

In addition to the above, you may also require X10 filters and/or a phase coupler.  This will depend entirely on the type and location of devices you have installed in your home.  Spend a little time looking at the troubleshooting thread.  In particular have a look at the following link:

X10 Issues? Please Read This First!

Wow, I can see my typing speed hasn't improved recently - 2 posts while I was creating this.

In closing, start slow (minimal investment), decide for yourself how you would like to proceed (home automation is personal), try not to get too addicted.

Boiler

griff32

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 08:18:50 AM »

Thanks for all the responses,

I am thinking about starting with this http://www.homeautomationnet.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=446 and using my 2 WS477 switches in conjunction. The only question I have now is whether to use a X10 plug, or switch with the LED lights. The status of the wiring is now just roughed in so either way would be easy to implement.

What do you guys think?

Thanks
Griff

HA Dave

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 11:11:24 AM »

I am thinking about starting with this http://www.homeautomationnet.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=446 and using my 2 WS477 switches in conjunction. The only question I have now is whether to use a X10 plug, or switch with the LED lights. The status of the wiring is now just roughed in so either way would be easy to implement.

What do you guys think?

I think you can beat those [linked] prices buying at the X10.com Site!

I would NOT use a (automated/current sensing) "switch" for the rope lights. Although many have used an appliance module (AM455), in conjuntion with a 7 watt (or higher) nightlight.

Also you may want to consider adding a transceiver (TM751) and a PalmPad (HR12A) remote.

Ether way.... the best way to buy.. is through the "deals" offered at the X10.com Site.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 06:19:07 PM »

I use Automated Outlet http://www.automatedoutlet.com/home.php as they sell X10 and X10Pro cheaper than X10 USA for hardware and their shipping is $7.50 no matter how big.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

HA Dave

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 03:20:54 AM »

.................... and their shipping is $7.50 no matter how big.

And how much does X10 charge for shipping big orders?

I guess... if someone only needed a single item... there may be a better deal out there somewhere from time-to-time. But generally speaking... I believe the best deals item-for item... are found at the X10 deals
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 03:22:32 AM by Dave_x10_L »

zach1234

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 09:47:46 PM »

X10 has free shiping for orders over 49.99

Also you can get swiches in a 4 for 1 deal

4 swiches for like 11.o0

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.