Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: focal point  (Read 8201 times)

bhoffman67

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
focal point
« on: January 09, 2008, 06:27:54 PM »

Via the manual, the XCam2 wireless cameras can have their lenses turned either clockwise or counter clockwise, but doesn't indicate whether turning clockwise either shortens, or lengthens the focal point.  Turning it either all the one way clock or counter clock sets the focal point from how many feet to how many feet/inches.

What I've got is a reason to set one camera's focal point to about 20', and another one to about 5'.  How can I do this?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: focal point
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 09:00:11 PM »

It has bee some time since I played with the focus on the X10 Cams!
On the one which I did I had to view the cam via a monitor while turning the focus(Lens)!
The only reason I did this was the focus was off a bit and needed minor ajustment!
Some of the newer wired cams don't even have this! ::) ???
Unless someone has played with and actualy documented this (number of turns clock wise vs counter clock wise) , your on your own!  :(
Actualy It is a good Idea for a Post once you figure it out!
I would be most interested bhoffman67 in reading your findings ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 09:19:06 PM »

Via the manual, the XCam2 wireless cameras can have their lenses turned either clockwise or counter clockwise, but doesn't indicate whether turning clockwise either shortens, or lengthens the focal point.  Turning it either all the one way clock or counter clock sets the focal point from how many feet to how many feet/inches.

What I've got is a reason to set one camera's focal point to about 20', and another one to about 5'.  How can I do this?

Rotating the lens CCW moves the lens out and focuses on closer objects.   Is there some reason why you can't you set an object at the desired distance from the camera and then adjust the lens for best focus on that object?

I don't know about the wireless cameras, but I've used an older  B&W "Night Watch" low light wired camera as a microscope with the lens focused about 1/2 inch from the object.  (The major problem is that the lens barrel blocks the light when the distance is too short.)

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

bhoffman67

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 01:31:14 PM »

I tried turning the lens both ways and there just isn't anyway to get remotely close to the crystal-clear picture the X10 website shows.

Solution:  Called for a RMA, sending everything back.

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 03:06:05 PM »

I tried turning the lens both ways and there just isn't anyway to get remotely close to the crystal-clear picture the X10 website shows.

Lower your PC monitor to a resolution of 320x240 then they should look the same. That is the resolution of X10 (as well as many other) home security cameras.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.