Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: X10 CONVENTION/WORKSHOP...  (Read 32376 times)

Hueyt

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
X10 CONVENTION/WORKSHOP...
« on: January 19, 2008, 06:18:20 PM »

Wouldn't it be great to have a yearly get together maybe say out here in Vegas where we could share ideas, have product demos from the company and have some "hands on" experience with the software and hardware?  Man I'd pay Jeff's way out here just to spend a few days with that guy?  There could be classes on some of the problems we're experiencing not to mention a good time in sin city!  The forum is great but I feel we could get alot more accomplished in a smaller amount of time with something like that!  Our passion could become a little less frustrating....anyone agree? ;D ;D

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Re: X10 CONVENTION/WORKSHOP...
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 08:55:35 PM »

The problem is those of us on the East Coast would have to put out quite a bit of cash to do this.  :(
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 09:44:19 PM »

that, and i hear that in Vegas you have to hire a union electrician just to plug something in.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 12:13:37 AM »

Wouldn't it be great to have a yearly get together .......................................................  Our passion could become a little less frustrating....anyone agree? ;D ;D

I think Hueyt has a point! The whole point of the "Community" Forum is users of X10 sharing their passion and experience. I think the most frustrating part of having any problems with X10.... without the forum... a user can feel all alone out here. If I have a lawn problem (I had grubs once) the neighbors all have ideas and or suggestions.

Unfortunately, the user base of Home Automation products is still kinda small. The only "other user" of X10 I've ever meet is my step-daughter.... and I built (and maintain) her setup.

There are many convention centers all over this country. Many.. if not most (even smallish) cities have convention centers. If the catalog and Web-based sellers of HA products could be convinced that conventions might turn a tiny profit and increase awareness of their products at the same time. This idea could be win-win for everyone.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 10:51:04 AM »

...The only "other user" of X10 I've ever meet is my step-daughter.... and I built (and maintain) her setup.[/b]...
Yeah the only other X10 user I've ever met is my ex and her new husband and that's mostly because they "inherited" my setup.  ;)

...If the catalog and Web-based sellers of HA products could be convinced that conventions might turn a tiny profit and increase awareness of their products at the same time. This idea could be win-win for everyone....
I can just see the X10 booth with flashing blue light specials announcing 4 for 1 deals good for only the first 100 people.  ;)
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 12:00:27 PM »

Yeah the only other X10 user I've ever met is my ex and her new husband and that's mostly because they "inherited" my setup.  ;)

Ouch!

I can just see the X10 booth with flashing blue light specials announcing 4 for 1 deals good for only the first 100 people.  ;)

Gee.... I was thinking maybe some of the camera models might be there....

Home Automation is an always changing technology

s0urc3f0ur

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 05:47:47 PM »

Many Hotels offer conference  and ballrooms for just such a thing. Some packages include catering as well as room discounts. I spent some time as a director of audio visual for one of the Marriots here in Houston and the package prices( including A/V,Catering, conference rooms/Ballrooms and Guest rooms) were fairly reasonable. Granted it would depend on the scale of the conference but a whole convention center may not be needed for a "smaller" gathering.
X10 has brought me closer to my inner geek! But it has aslo made my wife look at me funny!

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 06:36:50 PM »

Gee.... I was thinking maybe some of the camera models might be there....

They'd probably be the only notable features of X-10's whole program.   ;D

« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 06:39:42 PM by Charles Sullivan »
Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 07:57:56 PM »

...I was thinking maybe some of the camera models might be there....
Yeah maybe they could sponsor a photo shoot.

I remember a camera course I took back when I was in my 20s. There a nude model present for us to practice our photographing skills. I recall that in spite of the "distraction"  I was still able to take quite a few pictures.  ;D
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Hueyt

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2008, 11:45:09 PM »

Actually, this could become a reality.  I know it's going to cost something, but with as much as we have invested, wouldn't it be worth it.  I really wouldn't care where it is, New York, Houston, Miami, Atlanta...all I know is I'd be there!  I wonder if the x10 people would show.  Actually they are here  in Vegas every January for the Consumer Electronics Show.  If you guys haven't experienced that, you've missed out on life.  Since we have a year before the next one, maybe we could plan something for those of you who could make it

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2008, 12:41:10 AM »

Find a hotel in Seattle, WA to host it.  That's only a short drive for X10 Corporate folk!  ;) 
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2008, 02:16:25 AM »

Find a hotel in Seattle, WA to host it.  That's only a short drive for X10 Corporate folk!  ;) 
...and you too. So would you setup a BVC booth?

Hueyt

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2008, 12:21:57 PM »

You know wouldn't it benefit x10 to host this thing themselves??  There is an x10 facility here in North Las Vegas.  At least they have an address on the wall switch boxes.  I'm going to go over there and see what it is they do here then I'll get back with you guys and tell you if they would be interested in hosting a workshop for us! ;D

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2008, 07:43:36 PM »

...and you too. So would you setup a BVC booth?

Me?  I get lost in Seattle!   ;D
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

MichaelC

• Helpful Post Rating: 36
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2008, 08:09:52 PM »

The main X10 fulfillment center is in North Las Vegas. Not much of a place for a convention, though.

X10 Pro used to have regular regional training and information sessions that might be a start towards this kind of thing. I don't know if they're still running those, however.
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.