Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Universal Modules  (Read 18634 times)

Tunagrande

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Universal Modules
« on: February 07, 2008, 03:28:50 PM »

I have found it very convenient to hook a couple of universal modules to my garage door controller.
One simply operates the door, up or down, as a momentary contact.
The other is hooked to the "Lock" circuit. This one is set up as on/off rather than momentary.
At night I turn on the Lock module and then operate the door with the other. If the door is down, nothing happens. But, if it is up, even part way, it closes without having to go check.
I've also set a Macro up to make sure the door is closed and locked at 11:00 pm.

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
Re: Universal Modules
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 07:15:02 PM »

Hi Tunagrande and welcome to the forum. I use Universal modules on both my garage doors also. I have one of my cams that can see the doors so all I need to do is check it from inside and lower it if needed. My garage is detached and not heated. I live in the northern part of Ohio and found during the winter when the temp gets into the mid to low 30's the modules quit working. I have swapped out the units a few times but all of them work the same. It seems that the mechanical solenoid switch hangs up in the cold.

I was just wondering what your conditions are where you use yours and if you have had any problems?

----------------KDR
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

Tunagrande

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: Universal Modules
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 03:51:05 PM »

High desert in southern New Mexico!
My winter this year was February 15th. It snowed about two inches and melted by noon.
If it's the solenoids that are hanging up, try using a dry lubricant like graphite to keep them moving. Use a very tiny bit only on the hinge surface.
It can also be caused by contacts not connecting properly, use a contact cleaner/lubricant like those from CAIG Laboratories. I swear by their DE-OX-IT product.
I meant to mention that the universal module on the "lock" connection also prevents remotes (even your own) from opening the door.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.