Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Emergency dialing using a cable modem, BVC and VoIP question  (Read 4765 times)

s0urc3f0ur

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
Emergency dialing using a cable modem, BVC and VoIP question
« on: February 11, 2008, 05:27:36 PM »

I was doing a search For VoIP and saw that (and maybe I did not read thouroughly enough) That while VoIP can dial emergancy numbers The down side is that on the other end the would not be able to tell where the call originated from.  What I thought about was creating an emergancy message using BVC That would dial to 911   and give my home address in case of an emergancy. I would like to create an emergancy macro triggered by say the big red panic button that would enable all the lights in the house as well as dial 911 and read and repeat the home address maybe 3 or four times. My question to all you thinkers out there  is: Is this feasable and what are some good VoIP providers(preferably free) that would enable me to accomplish this. Thanks for putting your caps on!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 03:57:10 PM by s0urc3f0ur »
X10 has brought me closer to my inner geek! But it has aslo made my wife look at me funny!

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
Re: Emergancy dialing using a cable modem, BVC and VoIP question
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 09:55:36 PM »

Hate to burst your bubble, but in most if not all jurisdictions, having an auto-dialer (which this would be considered) dial any public emergency agency number, especially 911, is just plain illegal!   ::) 
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

s0urc3f0ur

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 10:19:28 PM »

Hate to burst your bubble, but in most if not all jurisdictions, having an auto-dialer (which this would be considered) dial any public emergency agency number, especially 911, is just plain illegal!   ::) 

Bubble not completely bursted yet... What if i could have the auto dialer call  my alarm company? The response time for my montiturd alarm is just lousy as it is.. about 3 min when an alarm is triggered for them to call and confirm. I amj just really trying to find a way to make my wife feel safer knowing that if she were in trouble that help would right there at the press of a button.( it would also help in justifing more purchases from X10 ;D)
X10 has brought me closer to my inner geek! But it has aslo made my wife look at me funny!

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 10:54:34 PM »

...The response time for my montiturd alarm is just lousy as it is.. about 3 min when an alarm is triggered for them to call and confirm...
What company would take so long to call? I pay my company $8.95 a month and they call me almost before I can shut off the alarm and find the phone.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

s0urc3f0ur

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 03:54:24 PM »

What company would take so long to call? I pay my company $8.95 a month and they call me almost before I can shut off the alarm and find the phone.

Century security Group. Unfourtunately I got rapped up in the free install package they were offering when i moved into my new home. They offered to do all entry ways and windows for free. while Brinks was only going to do 1 window and door and charge for the rest. I got locked into a 2 year deal with them and it is expiring so I may look into other options. I wonder though if i would have to pay for a totally new install or could another company use my existing set up.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 04:06:28 PM »

...Unfourtunately I got rapped up in the free install package...
I call that "big name alarm company" blackmail.

... I got locked into a 2 year deal with them and it is expiring so I may look into other options. I wonder though if i would have to pay for a totally new install or could another company use my existing set up.
A lot of those alarm companies have auto renewing contracts that you have to give them advanced notice to get out of. Some install boxes are pretty much tied to the company that installed them and other's are more flexible. Ask Bill about your company, he could give you a better idea on that.
Remind me the next time we're chatting and I'll give you the number for my company. They can tell you also what would be involved in switching.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 04:08:17 PM by steven r »
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

caudill22

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: Emergency dialing using a cable modem, BVC and VoIP question
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 03:03:30 PM »

You should definitlry check with you local city office before having any device that can auto dial 911. However, if it takes 3 minutes or your alarm company to respond then you should dump them the first day your contract expires. My alarm company usually responds in about 15 to 20 seconds after the alarm being triggered. 3 minutes should be completely unacceptable to you, have you spoken to them about the responce time to make sure it is not an equipment issue? You might take a look at an X10 security unit that can phone up to 4 of your friends, neighbors or relatives to make your wife comfortable, it is an inexpensive solution.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 03:18:05 PM »

My alarm company usually responds in about 15 to 20 seconds after the alarm being triggered.......................You might take a look at an X10 security unit that can phone up to 4 of your friends, neighbors or relatives to make your wife comfortable, it is an inexpensive solution.

When triggered, my DS7000 takes 4 seconds to trigger the large Powerhorns. My cell phone rings before the large powerhorns sound.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

s0urc3f0ur

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 06:40:04 PM »

YEs I am looking for "other options" and will probably go with an x10 solution at least for imediate or quicker response to alert me and my family if there is a problem. I am going to go with another alarm company as well once my contract expires.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.