Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Working temperatures  (Read 27752 times)

canadica

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Working temperatures
« on: March 03, 2007, 04:38:33 AM »

I hope I'm posting in the right area here.

A couple questions:

What are the operating temperatures for the infared motion detectors? Specifically, will they function as expected in [-40C/-40F] cold? Are they weather resistant?

How about the night vision and other cameras? Do they work properly in extreme cold?

I know the motion detectors are battery powered, how about the camera(s)? Are there AC and DC models offered?

Do the pan and tilt mounts sieze up in cold weather?

I am expecting this:  http://www.x10.com/products/ds7000e_ed_4dm_0111.html

any day and I'm interested to know the limitations of temperature, as well as how temperatures may effect range of signal.

Thanks!  :)

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
Re: Working temperatures
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 01:30:20 AM »

What are the operating temperatures for the infared motion detectors? Specifically, will they function as expected in [-40C/-40F] cold?
A lot of people don't think they work at all.  So yes, in that sense they will continue to function as expected in -40C/F cold.  :D

Are they weather resistant?
Sure... as long as you keep them inside when rain or snow is forecast.   ;D

How about the night vision and other cameras? Do they work properly in extreme cold?
Same answer as for the motion detectors.

I know the motion detectors are battery powered, how about the camera(s)? Are there AC and DC models offered?
They all use a wall-wart-type 9 or 12 VDC power supply, but there is a battery pack available for some models.

Do the pan and tilt mounts sieze up in cold weather?
I wouldn't have much confidence in them not self-destructing at -40C/F

(Please excuse the levity, It's been a long, long day.)

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 07:16:36 AM »

At that low a temperature Alkaline Batteries may not be very good. Lithium Batteries do go lower in temperature and still function.
Cameras as mentioned have a addressable wall powered supply. That way they can be turned on and off by an X10 signal. Only one wireless should normally be on at any one time to prevent interference. Along with any Wireless Network or Cordless Phone in the 2,4 Ghz range.
The battery packs are not addressable and by X10s literature last about 4 hours on a set of 4 AA cells. Manual On/Off Switch
I would not count on a Pan and Tilt mechanism working well at that low a temperature. Some have reported that even room temperature use wears the plastic gears out.

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 08:43:06 PM »

As far as the pan/tilt units, I have 3 outside and at zero they all worked OK. I do make a special effort to be sure there is no ice buildup on them when the weather gets bad. If there is I won't move them. My Anaconda cams and infrared cams all work OK at that temp also. I have 1 LM465 in the cold and it works OK. My AM466 and UM506 doesn't like the cold. Both become unreliable at around 15 to 20 degrees.

----------------KDR
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

canadica

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 06:47:15 PM »

Thanks for the replies.  :)

Someone had me a little worried there, but I have everything installed, and it all works fine except for one thing. The remote control feature for the modual that controls the light only works when another light on that same line is on.

I even have one of the motion detectors in another building abour 100FT away, and it works fine too.

I can live without the remote use of the light, and overall I'm quite happy with this new setup.  :)

BFD

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 03:30:35 PM »

I would not count on a Pan and Tilt mechanism working well at that low a temperature. Some have reported that even room temperature use wears the plastic gears out.

See From http://www.x10community.com/forums/index.php?topic=11186.0 for a solution.
You can find replacement STEEL gears at http://h1071118.hobbyshopnow.com/services/advanceresultsDetail.asp?strProd=RRP0120&strSearchType=ALL&strInCategory=ALL&strInManufacturer=ALL&tag=qsrch

lavact123

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 02:38:30 PM »

Hi:

I have the same concerns as Canadica.  I am from Canada and the temperature here can go down as low as -30 degree Celsius (approp. 22 degrees Fahrenheit) with the wind chill factor.  Will the cameras still work in such harsh climate?  I do not plan to take them down when it rains or snows, as they will be installed high above my driveway.  We have had same several break-ins on our cars.

Are there extra precautions I can take to protect the cameras and ensure their proper operations?

Sorry, I am new and I just need information before I make a purchase.  I want to buy the 4-camera 1001-uses surveillance system.

Thank you in advance.

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 04:01:12 PM »

I am from Canada and the temperature here can go down as low as -30 degree Celsius (approp. 22 degrees Fahrenheit) with the wind chill factor. 

I am from Canada as well, and my outside cameras (X10 & Astec) have worked flawless in < -30C still air temperature.

P.S. Wind chill does not make objects colder than the actual air temperature. Wind chill is only an indication of how fast a warm-blooded body (e.g. us humans) lose body heat; objects like cars, cameras, etc. are not effected by wind chill.  ;)

lavact123

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 09:06:57 PM »

Thanks for both tidbits of information.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.