Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How to secure x10?  (Read 3931 times)

coder1

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
How to secure x10?
« on: February 24, 2008, 01:42:25 PM »

I'm new to x10 technology and am very enthused about it.  I wanted to setup my garage door with the universal module, but then I thought that anyone with an RF x10 remote would be able to open it.

I know garage door openers could be triggered the traditional way too, but it made me start to think.  If I'm using x10 for home security, what would prevent someone from plugging into the outside of my house or triggering commands through RF?

Are there methods to secure your house from this at all?

trol1374

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Re: How to secure x10?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 03:18:03 PM »

I see what your saying, but unless it is someone that knows you, how would the burglar even know that you have that kind of equipment?  They are more likely to go around with a garage door opener to see who's door they can open, then to carry an rf one and try yours.  Certainly doubt at anytime a random burglar is going to carry equipment to "tap" into your system.  Then to try all the house codes/unit code combos to get that certain one that control yours.  Unless you have it on A1.
  Your chance of being struck by lighting "twice" is better then the above occurring.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 03:20:42 PM by trol1374 »

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 03:40:04 PM »

I'm new to x10 technology and am very enthused about it.  I wanted to setup my garage door with the universal module, but then I thought that anyone with an RF x10 remote would be able to open it. I know garage door openers could be triggered the traditional way too, but it made me start to think.

There is some info here at the forum about using the universal module to control garage doors. Of course.. FOR SECURITY.. the best way is to use the X10 universal module in combo with your garage door opener. One more layer of RF lock is A GOOD THING.

If I'm using x10 for home security, what would prevent someone from plugging into the outside of my house or triggering commands ..........

If you using the X10 security system (DS7000)... the sensors and the remotes are registered with the console. Taping into your system with an (UN-registered) RF or plug-in remote... will not allow the system to be turned off.

"That said"... all systems can be hacked, cracked, broken, or just plan busted open. However.. I am convinced X10 makes my home more secure. I have a YouTube video you can view from my Fan Site <link.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 12:49:06 AM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

coder1

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 04:19:28 PM »

Certainly doubt at anytime a random burglar is going to carry equipment to "tap" into your system.  Then to try all the house codes/unit code combos to get that certain one that control yours.
I see what you're saying, but I was thinking more of a burglar who would be targeting specifically x10 homes.  With a small laptop and minimal programming expertise, you could plug-in and go through all house codes and commands in a few seconds.

the best way is to use the X10 universal module in combo with your garage door opener. One more layer of RF lock is A GOOD THING.
I'm new to RF so I'm happy to hear I can make it more secure.  Something I will definitely look into.

Registering the remotes also interests me.  I'm setting this up on a linux system so I'll have to do some searching on how I can detect the remote IDs.

The video was great, thanks for the link.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 06:07:29 PM »

...I was thinking more of a burglar who would be targeting specifically x10 homes....
I've never in 20-30 years ever had a neighbor that used X10 even when I lived in apartments. That means the number of homes using X10 is still a small percent. Way too small a percent for someone to specialize in targeting them. That said, my garage remote has thousands of possible codes that change on a roiling code system. I wouldn't want to trade that security for a handful of possible fixed X10 codes I could use. Furthermore the range of most X10 remotes is poor, particularly when trying to send a signal through a metal garage door. I can use my garage remote as soon as my house comes in sight. With an X10 remote, I expect I'd have to be in my driveway and wait for the door to open.
If you do choose to open you garage under X10 control, I'd recommend increasing your security a bit by plugging a universal module into another X10 module so 2 codes would need to be used to open the door.

Now I do  use X10 to close my garage. Basically I have a reed switch wired in series with contact of a universal module. The reed switch is only closed when the garage is open.  This means an X10 signal to the Universal Module can never open the door will always result in the closing of an open door. My door closes automatically when coming or going as well as from my shutdown macro and my power restore macro.

BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 07:30:16 PM »

Just a comment on steven r's post about no X10 users near his house in 20-30 years.  I've had X10 since the late 1980's and no one else on my street has X10.  I've never had odd housecodes show up in Find Other Computers in AHP either.

All my friends who have X10 were introduced to it by me.  The closest one lives 15 minutes from my house.  One friend doesn't even use X10 to fullest, the others have big X10 installations, but none have ever used any of the plug-ins for AHP or any X10 security products, same with me.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 07:32:22 PM by Dan Lawrence »
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.