Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "programming" a DC8700 controller?  (Read 22974 times)

spencex

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
"programming" a DC8700 controller?
« on: March 04, 2008, 09:22:57 PM »

According to the x10 website, ". . . It is not possible to trigger a third party siren from the PS561 base console, because any module that might be used to control it (Universal Module or Appliance Module) does not respond to the All Lights On command transmitted during an alarm. However, the DC8700 Monitored Security System can be setup to transmit a specific code (rather than All Lights On) when it trips. It can therefore turn on an X10 Module that could be used to activate a third party outdoor siren."

Does anyone have any experience doing this? I currently have the PS561 controller and I don't want to waste money buying another controller if I'm misunderstanding something. I checked the PDF manual for the DC8700 and it doesn't say anything about how to set up the console to trigger the universal module (or other similar modules) when an alarm occurs.

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
Re: "programming" a DC8700 controller?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 10:28:20 PM »

According to the x10 website, ". . . It is not possible to trigger a third party siren from the PS561 base console, because any module that might be used to control it (Universal Module or Appliance Module) does not respond to the All Lights On command transmitted during an alarm. However, the DC8700 Monitored Security System can be setup to transmit a specific code (rather than All Lights On) when it trips. It can therefore turn on an X10 Module that could be used to activate a third party outdoor siren."

Does anyone have any experience doing this? I currently have the PS561 controller and I don't want to waste money buying another controller if I'm misunderstanding something. I checked the PDF manual for the DC8700 and it doesn't say anything about how to set up the console to trigger the universal module (or other similar modules) when an alarm occurs.

If your siren doesn't draw too much current, you can probably use an LM15A  "Socket Rocket" plus two adapters from Lowe's to control it.  It'll repeatedly turn on and off at approximately 1 second intervals.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

spencex

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 10:24:46 PM »

Charles, doesn't the lamp module do the same thing?

I want something that will come on--and stay on--when an alarm is triggered. Apparently the universal module's relay will not close with a PS561 controller except manually--therefore my interest in the DC8700 controller.

Charles Sullivan

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 10:57:51 PM »

Charles, doesn't the lamp module do the same thing?

I want something that will come on--and stay on--when an alarm is triggered. Apparently the universal module's relay will not close with a PS561 controller except manually--therefore my interest in the DC8700 controller.

The Socket Rocket has no dimming capability so won't cause the problems which could occur with a lamp module if it's inadvertently  sent a dim signal.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

spencex

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 11:26:54 AM »

Okay, Charles, but according to what I've read online, the Socket Rocket has no House/Unit settings switches, so it has to be programmed to accept an alarm signal using equipment other than the PS561. Is this incorrect?

Thanks.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 05:32:44 PM »

A Socket Rocket has to be programmed for a house/unit code or it's just a "socket extender".  The easiest way to program one is use a MC460 desktop controller, set it to the housecode you need, screw the Socket Rocket into a lamp with a bulb in it and send the same unit code (say A1) three times. The lamp should turn on.  It's now set and can be moved anywhere you want it.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Charles Sullivan

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 08:17:17 PM »

Okay, Charles, but according to what I've read online, the Socket Rocket has no House/Unit settings switches, so it has to be programmed to accept an alarm signal using equipment other than the PS561. Is this incorrect?

Thanks.

Yes.  Dan has explained the procedure.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

spencex

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 09:00:31 PM »

Thanks Dan and Charles . . . too bad the universal module can't be taught to respond to an alarm as the Socket Rocket can.

Imagine a burglar setting off an alarm and seeing the draperies open!

spencex

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 10:29:56 PM »

Okay, guys. I got the MC460 minicontroller and a couple of Socket Rockets. I decided to use A2 to "program" the Socket Rocket, but nothing happened.

It would respond to All Lights On.

So after fiddling with it for a while, I tried pushing A1 and the light came on immediately. What's up with that?

Also, I'm curious why the PS561 controller has Unit codes on it. The House codes I understand, but why Units? It controls units. It's not a unit.

Thanks,
Spence

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 06:44:34 PM »

Okay, guys. I got the MC460 minicontroller and a couple of Socket Rockets. I decided to use A2 to "program" the Socket Rocket, but nothing happened.

It would respond to All Lights On.

So after fiddling with it for a while, I tried pushing A1 and the light came on immediately. What's up with that?

Also, I'm curious why the PS561 controller has Unit codes on it. The House codes I understand, but why Units? It controls units. It's not a unit.

Thanks,
Spence

Well.......... ::) you obviously didn't program it correctly make sure after screwing it in you press the controller you're using to program it 3 times after which the light should come on, although I have heard sometimes four. Anyway keep pressing the button until it turns on MAKE SURE YOU HAVE POWER TO IT. If you have one of those pull chains you could be trying to program it while the powers off, don't laugh but I've done that myself hay I said not to laugh  :D.  NOW to reprogram unscrew it and then screw it back or cut the power and press the button on the controller that you want to use to program the unit. PLEASE NOTE never cut the power to the unit unless you're moving it and when you do make sure you don't reprogram it by mistake. You could do this by moving or cutting the power to it and pressing some other code twice within 30 seconds, I've .....well never mind.

Tom j
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 06:46:05 PM by tom j »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.