Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Will this macro idea work?  (Read 6874 times)

bilyth

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
Will this macro idea work?
« on: May 27, 2008, 11:28:49 PM »

Hi,

Basically i have two modules in one room- wall switch controls ceiling light & lamp module controlling a lamp.

I have multiple macros set up for both of them which i can trigger with a bedside mini controller (things like presets for different lighting brightness etc...). All those macros have both module going on & off in conjunction.

What i would like to do..is when i turn on the wall switch manually- to have the ceiling light dim to a certain % (it's too bright otherwise) as well as have the lamp turn on at a certain % brightness as well.

I figure i should be able to create a macro with conditions to trigger when- wall switch ON & lamp OFF... I figure this should not affect my other macros because they always turn either both on or off..never one or the other.

To turn both lights off- I figure i could create an 'off' macro basically on condition that wall switch is OFF & lamp ON (then i manually hit switch off & both lights go off).

will this work? i tried it but so far turning on the wall switch only turns the ceiling on..no lamp & no dimming to a pre-set ceiling %.

let me know if i'm not making sense. thanks!

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
Re: Will this macro idea work?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 12:28:39 AM »

...What i would like to do..is when i turn on the wall switch manually- to have the ceiling light dim to a certain % (it's too bright otherwise) as well as have the lamp turn on at a certain % brightness as well....
The problem is that most wall switches do not send an X10 signal when switched manually so they can't trigger a macro.
You options include:
  • A very expensive switch that would send a signal. I think someone still makes one.
  • One of the the new softstart X10 switches that turns on at the same brightness that it was when turned off*
  • A Smarthome switch that can be set to come on at a preset brightness.*
  • A "stick on" type RF switch
  • A strategically placed motion sensor used to detect when the light is turned on to trigger a marco with flags to dim the light.
*These options only handle one of the switches.
I use a Smarthome switch for my living room that I've set to come on at about 60% brightness by default.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 12:32:01 AM by steven r »
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

bilyth

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
Re: Will this macro idea work?
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 01:16:24 AM »

Thanks steven.

Well, my main goal of all this really; is to flip one light on (ceiling) & have a 2nd light (lamp) go on with it. But i didn't realize a switch cannot send a signal to trigger a macro. That's totally cool..i guess i need a remote or that stick on RF switch (i assume you press a macro trigger with it)

The funny thing is- it does look like the switch i have is "One of the the new softstart X10 switches that turns on at the same brightness that it was when turned off". it's a ws12a with date code 08-04 (i believe)- just installed it.

I'm actually finding it really annoying though with my macros. I'm still playing with it..but it appears as though even if i make sure it's maxed at %100 before i flick the switch off...when i run my various macros of preset % brightnesses...it "changes" the max brightness to a different level. So if i run a macro & then turn it on (ie %100)- it's no longer absolute %100!

I could leave it at a dimmer setting when i flick it off..but this light is also involved in my sunrise simulation...so i need it to be %100 when that macro runs.

I'll see what happens tomorrow..it'll be the first morning with this switch.

ps- which module type should i use for the ws12a? right now it's on decorator wall switch (perhaps a different type will correct my issues above?)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 01:24:32 AM by bilyth »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.