Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: what do you think about a Panic Button outside.  (Read 9807 times)

zach1234

what do you think about a Panic Button outside.
« on: May 27, 2008, 11:34:12 PM »

Do you think it would be OK to put Two of the big red buttons outside. One will be in my back yard one in the front yard.

These will have a sign over them saying "PANIC ALARM" and in smaller font Fine if used with out a emergency, and will be hooked up to my Protector plus Monitored. I don't want some PUNKS to hit the alarm when I am on a Vacation. I do have 3 angles of view where I plan to put the buttons.

I need them because a family member was accosted (OK I should say, I) and had to use physcal force to get the person away. Plus when I have to dart out after someone I want a easy way to trip the alarm if necessary. I will have ones inside the house by all doors, but they are labled as "FIRE ALARM" and hooked up to a unit that is a fire message.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 04:36:11 PM by Zach1234 »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Is this Legal
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 12:09:16 PM »

Zach1234

Your subject line asks if this is legal...more than likely you will have to answer that yourself by talking to the local police department. I would be concerned about possible nusance calls to the officials. If you plan on putting Big Red Button(s)  in your front and back yards with labels of "Panic Button", how do you intend on preventing anyone from pushing them? Every Tom, Dick, and Harry in our neighborhood would push it just to see what happens. Heck, I probably would too if I saw such a thing in my neighbors yard.  :D
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 04:30:00 PM »

Zach1234; The label; may just be what the folks that would be temped to push it; need to do it.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
Re: what do you think about a Panic Button outside.
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 06:44:40 PM »

I don't have one but I believe it sends an on signal when pushed and then a 2nd signal for the alarm when held for 4 seconds. Perhaps if the first push triggered a macro to turn on the lights if might surprise & discourage someone from holding it for the full 4 seconds needed to trigger the alarm.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 06:55:37 PM »

...Every Tom, Dick, and Harry in our neighborhood would push it just to see what happens. Heck, I probably would too if I saw such a thing in my neighbors yard.
Me too.  ;)
It reminds me of an emergency glass breaking tool I keep in my car. It uses a small compressed plunger to break the glass. It so cool how it works but I have to resist the temptation to try it every time I pick it up.
I remember one time I was getting in my car and the proximity alarm from the car next to me gave me a warning that I was too close. I of course had to walk around to see just how close was to close.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 06:57:09 PM by steven r »
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 07:20:35 PM »

I picked up a few from a dealer that was going out of business.
I doubt they are weather resistant so if you want outside. A protected area maybe needed.
A rough X10 signal test. Shows a button push first sends a House Unit Code ON. Then a set of bright signals that would cause the SH10A Small Remote Siren to Ding. Then a series of ON signals that triggers the SH10A to screech [best way I can describe the NOISE].
When the button is released a House Code Unit Code Off is sent that times out the SH10A and it stops.
I have not registered one with a Security System so that was not tested.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 07:49:14 PM by Brian H »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 12:14:40 PM »

It so cool how it works but I have to resist the temptation to try it every time I pick it up.
Yeah, it's kinda like bubble wrap. Maybe one or two trips to the local auto scrap yard would get it out of your system?  :D
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 05:08:17 PM »

It so cool how it works but I have to resist the temptation to try it every time I pick it up.
Yeah, it's kinda like bubble wrap. Maybe one or two trips to the local auto scrap yard would get it out of your system?  :D
I've actually thought of doing that. Problem is they like to resell the glass and the value diminishes substantially after it's broken.  ;)
Unlike virtual bubble wrap they don't make virtual windows for me to pop.  :(

zach1234

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 03:26:08 PM »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.