Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Controlling blinds with extended codes  (Read 2805 times)

jacadito

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Controlling blinds with extended codes
« on: May 28, 2008, 12:56:29 PM »

Since a few weeks I'm using a CM15Pro (EU model, CM15A is equivalent USA model). AHP version 3.227.
Amongs others, I'm controlling 11 blinds (via SW10 modules) via extended code type 0. Everything goes fine, I can position the blinds quite reliably.

I'm using command bytes
- "0x03" to position any individual blind (with data byte value ranging from 0x00 to 0x19)
- "0x04" to fully open all blinds (value of the data byte not relevant)
- "0x0b" to fully close all blinds (same)

I have some questions:

1) in the activity log I see from time to time a "Transmit  Bx Extended Code 3 3b" command, with x ranging from 1 to 11 in sequence (11 blinds = 11 transmits taking about 1 second each). The command byte is 0x3b, the data byte 0x03. The x10 extended code documentation says
x x x x x x C1 C0 3 B CONFIGURE MODULES (this HC )
                              C0 = AUTOACK 'EXTENDED' MESS
                              C1 = AUTOACK 'STANDARD' MESS
                              Automatic ACK for messages that alter O/P state of unit.
but this is chinese to me... What is the O/P state ? What is there to auto acknowledge ? What triggers AHP to send these ?

2) does anybody know what the command byte values "1" (same as "3" but ENABLE sun protection) and "2" (quote: "limit the degree of opening to the value in the data field") will do ? Not that I miss anything - but I'm curious. I'm also puzzled about the mention "sun protection" in the x10 extended code doc.

3) same question for the self test command byte values  "E" and "F" do ?? I don't dare to test these out as I don't want to spoil the fun (aka: get in to marital problems).

For your info: I'm using (currently rather trying to use) modified MS13's (aka Eagle Eye) to differentiate between sunshine and clouds. If anybody is into the same research or has another solution I'll be happy to exchange info and experiences. Ideally I'd be looking for a module that can tell me the approx luminosity reading in lux...
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 01:10:41 PM by jacadito »
ActivehomePro with CM15Pro, mainly used for controlling 11 blinds. Two MS13E sensors modified to react to strong light (sunlight) instead of dawn/dusk.

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
Re: Controlling blinds with extended codes
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 10:38:22 PM »

Since a few weeks I'm using a CM15Pro (EU model, CM15A is equivalent USA model). AHP version 3.227.
Amongs others, I'm controlling 11 blinds (via SW10 modules) via extended code type 0. Everything goes fine, I can position the blinds quite reliably.

I'm using command bytes
- "0x03" to position any individual blind (with data byte value ranging from 0x00 to 0x19)
- "0x04" to fully open all blinds (value of the data byte not relevant)
- "0x0b" to fully close all blinds (same)

I have some questions:

1) in the activity log I see from time to time a "Transmit  Bx Extended Code 3 3b" command, with x ranging from 1 to 11 in sequence (11 blinds = 11 transmits taking about 1 second each). The command byte is 0x3b, the data byte 0x03. The x10 extended code documentation says
x x x x x x C1 C0 3 B CONFIGURE MODULES (this HC )
                              C0 = AUTOACK 'EXTENDED' MESS
                              C1 = AUTOACK 'STANDARD' MESS
                              Automatic ACK for messages that alter O/P state of unit.
but this is chinese to me... What is the O/P state ? What is there to auto acknowledge ? What triggers AHP to send these ?

This command instructs modules which support 2-way extended codes to respond with an extended acknowledge when their status is changed by an extended command (data = 1) or a standard command (data = 2), or either (data = 3).  However your SW10 modules support only 1-way extended code so aren't affected by this command.  The North American lamp  LM14A and appliance AM14A modules support 2-way extended code and this extended configure command.  (I actuality they respond with the extended ack regardless of whether their status is changed.)

2) does anybody know what the command byte values "1" (same as "3" but ENABLE sun protection) and "2" (quote: "limit the degree of opening to the value in the data field") will do ? Not that I miss anything - but I'm curious. I'm also puzzled about the mention "sun protection" in the x10 extended code doc.

"Sun protection" means that a limit is programmed so that the blinds will only open to the limit when it's enabled.  Command byte 2 sets the limit and opens the blinds to that limit.  Command byte 1 will then open the blinds to the data value <= the limit whereas Command byte 3 will open the blinds to the data value, ignoring (and "unprogramming") the limit.

3) same question for the self test command byte values  "E" and "F" do ?? I don't dare to test these out as I don't want to spoil the fun (aka: get in to marital problems).

It just "exercises" the blinds so you know it's working.

For your info: I'm using (currently rather trying to use) modified MS13's (aka Eagle Eye) to differentiate between sunshine and clouds. If anybody is into the same research or has another solution I'll be happy to exchange info and experiences. Ideally I'd be looking for a module that can tell me the approx luminosity reading in lux...

I don't think there's anything in current production that does this.  And if there were, we would have to see whether AHP supports it.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

jacadito

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: Controlling blinds with extended codes
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 03:34:38 PM »

Hi Charles, thank you *very* much for your crystal clear explanation of the extended codes, and for demystifying the 3B command !
Seems I don't need the command bytes 1 and 2. 3 will do the job for me.

As for the MS13E's (Eagle Eyes), seems I'll have to fiddle around a bit further with them. But I'm getting them close to the behaviour I want (also still need to work on the reliability of the transmission - known bogus with X10 RF) !
ActivehomePro with CM15Pro, mainly used for controlling 11 blinds. Two MS13E sensors modified to react to strong light (sunlight) instead of dawn/dusk.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.