Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Modules With power outlet not controled by X10  (Read 15395 times)

Jsnlong

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
    • XKAR
Modules With power outlet not controled by X10
« on: June 05, 2008, 02:18:33 PM »

I know this had to been asked before but I'll do it just in case!!!  :P

Why not make the lamp and appliance modules have a out let on the front that isn't controlled buy X10. Like the instea on ones.

It would  be like putting a super socket in another case. 
People are afraid of robots taking their jobs......The same jobs they complain all day about doing!!

Join the chat at http://www.bdshost.com/ac/

Coach of XKAR
Xenia Kids And Robots
www.xkar.org

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Modules With power outlet not controled by X10
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 04:38:51 PM »

jsnlong1979

I doubt you will get an official answer from X10.  $0.02 worth follows:

My guess would be cost of the design and feed through components,  which only adds convenience for customer but no benefit to X10.

X10 operates on paper thin margins and makes profit on volume. I have never seen a company more efficient at "cost reduced" designs. Eliminating a single screw, a cap, resistor, or a diode means increased margins. Basically their designs are "there ain't nothin in there that don't have to be there to make it work".
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 06:27:11 PM »

Compare the prices of an X10 Module and an Insteon one. Especially an X10 Module in a combonation sale. I got four Socket Rockets; for the normal price of one when not on sale.
As Dave said every extra piece adds to the costs.

Yes in some cases the pass through outlet is a nice feature.

Jsnlong

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
    • XKAR
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 08:37:22 PM »

I know every piece adds cost that's why the model wound be more but if they truly work on a parper thin margin then your not talking about allot.

If it is a benefit to the customer it is a benefit to X10. Cause happy customer buy more...(don't say it I know x10 don't care if your happy..   :P

But I ask the question...

How many of your wife's get upset when just about every outlet has a white box hanging from and she can't find anywhere to plug something in! That would make me pay more!!!  rofl

OH well that is  my 2 cents...that's why they call it a wish list!!

People are afraid of robots taking their jobs......The same jobs they complain all day about doing!!

Join the chat at http://www.bdshost.com/ac/

Coach of XKAR
Xenia Kids And Robots
www.xkar.org

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 09:25:49 PM »

I know every piece adds cost that's why the model would be more but if they truly work on a parper thin margin then your not talking about allot.....

Things have changed... but at one time I would have said: X10 didn't really want to win the competition with the competitor's.The reason [back some time ago] was X10 owned a patent on the technology (now expired as I understand it). Competition [then] meant increased profits. Even today... X10 represents the "value-end" or "entry level" part of Home Automation.

Although the tons of newsletters and the flashy Web Site (complete with babes) is a turn-off to many....  it has floated X10's boat (and kept the doors open) for many years....   and I don't see them making major changes in the near future. Of course... that's just a guess... I have no inside information.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 06:19:47 AM »

Yes blocked outlets can be a problem. Maybe some X10 folks will read the wish lists and try for changes.
I know every Automation manufacture is going to have to address the new lower power lighting devices. LED; CFL etc. Does not matter with type most modules. X10 and others don't play nice with most of them.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 12:05:41 PM »

But I ask the question...

How many of your wife's get upset when just about every outlet has a white box hanging from and she can't find anywhere to plug something in! That would make me pay more!!!  rofl

OH well that is  my 2 cents...that's why they call it a wish list!!

Yup. I just $0.02 it because X10 reads the forum, but doesn't tell us what they are thinking very often.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.