Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Unhappy with Eagle Sensor  (Read 48374 times)

shirleyf

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Unhappy with Eagle Sensor
« on: July 02, 2008, 05:36:13 PM »

OK, help us out here, are we the only people who are going crazy with the Eagle Sensor.  It can't be far enough away from the video commander to make it worth our time and effort.  We purchased the multi camera sensor and we are VERY unhappy with it.  Customer service has been fine, except for the time they hung up on my husband after putting him on ETERNAL HOLD, but the system isn't very quality.  Cameras work fine if you just want to use them for visual purposes but to record if someone is breaking in your home, they are a joke.  One last complaint.  Has anyone else ever saw so many wires with a Wireless System!!!?

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Unhappy with Eagle Sensor
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 05:59:19 PM »

There is a passive antenna mod for the active/eagle Eye sensors posted here.... that may help. Using a repeater can be a big help also. I use the X10 motion detecting floodlights to activate my cameras.... and I used AHP to send a RF signal to VCR commander.

.................. Cameras work fine if you just want to use them for visual purposes but to record if someone is breaking in your home, they are a joke.  One last complaint.  Has anyone else ever saw so many wires with a Wireless System!!!?

I hope your joking about recording someone breaking into your home. That sounds to me like a very dangerous idea. Although you can get good clear video... if you plan and setup properly. I prefer to leave solving crimes to the police.

Cameras can provide a great deterent. A home that is well lighted, landscaped, locked and alarmed... shouldn't make the top of any list for break-in's. Adding cameras adds greater risk for any would-be intruder.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 12:24:56 PM »

OK, help us out here, are we the only people who are going crazy with the Eagle Sensor.  It can't be far enough away from the video commander to make it worth our time and effort.  We purchased the multi camera sensor and we are VERY unhappy with it.  Customer service has been fine, except for the time they hung up on my husband after putting him on ETERNAL HOLD, but the system isn't very quality.  Cameras work fine if you just want to use them for visual purposes but to record if someone is breaking in your home, they are a joke.  One last complaint.  Has anyone else ever saw so many wires with a Wireless System!!!?

What are you using to pick up the RF signal from the Eagle? CM15A?, TM751?, RR501?. Can you move it closer to the Eagle?
If the cameras are sufficient for "visual purposes" why are they not good enough for VCR? Is the recorded image that much worse than the picture on the monitor? If so, is it your VCR?
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

cmburch

Re: Unhappy and Happy with Eagle Sensor
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 05:14:29 PM »

I have the AAA battery powered sensor on my front porch ceiling.  It operates the front porch camera, doorbell, and porch light.  It seems to work fine except in cold weather.  I must need different batteries for cold weather.

Cons: Battery, Dark plastic color against white house paint.

Seems to work well above 45F.

I have decided to hardwire PS to replace batteries and paint it white.

Range seems about 25'. 

cmburch

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 05:31:03 PM »

I hope your joking about recording someone breaking into your home. That sounds to me like a very dangerous idea. Although you can get good clear video... if you plan and setup properly. I prefer to leave solving crimes to the police.

People are recorded breaking into homes.  I see it on TV.  What is the chance of police solving a crime such as a home burglary.   Not very good.    A camera recording may assist if they do not steal the recording.  It would only be dangerous if I was home and a recording would still be good for evidence.  Our family cabin was broken into 2 times in the past 60 years.  The sheriff caught only 1 couple because they were living in it.

HA Dave

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 06:36:09 PM »

I see it on TV. 

Well.... I can't argue with that reasoning. If you've seen it on TV... that's likely the way to go then.

cmburch

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 06:39:55 PM »

I see it on TV. 

Well.... I can't argue with that reasoning. If you've seen it on TV... that's likely the way to go then.

No need to be sarcastic.  It is well known that recorded videos aid in certain circumstances.  It has nothing to do with my seeing it on TV. 
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 06:44:47 PM by cmburch »

HA Dave

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2008, 06:44:56 PM »

... It is well known that recorded videos aid in certain circumstances. 

My Dad was a cop for 25 years. What he thought was well known.... is: do everything to PREVENT the crime.

TheBigOldDog

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 01:43:40 PM »

I see it on TV. 

Get your kicks out of insulting people looking for help do you?  Why doesn't ir surprise me that you are what passes for an expert around here?

HA Dave

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 08:50:50 PM »

Get your kicks out of insulting people looking for help do you?  Why doesn't ir surprise me that you are what passes for an expert around here?

No I didn't get any kicks out of that TheBigOldDog. From time-to-time users mention wanting to catch the criminal in-the-act.... on video... or even in person.

Maybe I sometimes go overboard in discourging that. But... I certainly don't mean to insult anyone.

Burglary is a serious crime. And the whole crime/victim thing is much messier than seen-on-TV. I regularly encourage readers (other X10 users) to use X10 to prevent the crime. I have even started a thread about finding new and improved methods to "keep them outside".

I am a firm believer that cameras can help deter (PREVENT) crime. Having a burglar past your home buy... isn't sexy.. it doesn't make good TV.. heck your not even likely to know it ever happened. But... as boring as it sounds.... preventing crime is what I advocate.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 10:52:55 PM by Dave_x10_L »

woodn1

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 08:59:01 PM »

action012

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2009, 10:50:27 AM »

No I didn't get any kicks out of that TheBigOldDog. From time-to-time users mention wanting to catch the criminal in-the-act.... on video... or even in person.

Maybe I sometimes go overboard in discourging that. But... I certainly don't mean to insult anyone.

Burglary is a serious crime. And the whole crime/victim thing is much messier than seen-on-TV. I regularly encourage readers (other X10 users) to use X10 to prevent the crime. I have even started a thread about finding new and improved methods to "keep them outside".

I am a firm believer that cameras can help deter (PREVENT) crime. Having a burglar past your home buy... isn't sexy.. it doesn't make good TV.. heck your not even likely to know it ever happened. But... as boring as it sounds.... preventing crime is what I advocate.

I agree that prevention should be the main focus but I see no harm in recording just in case of a break in Unless you plan on using it to track down the crocks and take matter in your own hands.

Point in hand I had a break in my house on 4-11-09 I had the video cameras and alarm system. Now I'm sure that the alarm system keep them from staying to long. That's why they only made off with some cash and credit cards that got canceled before use.

One of the first thing the deputy sheriff asked me was if I had a recording which I had to say no,  I was having problem with the VCR commander and never took the time to figure it out.

You can bet that I record video now though I replaced my flood light with one that records 20sec of video to an SD card every time the motion sensor goes off.   

Steve

HA Dave

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2009, 07:03:45 PM »

You can bet that I record video now though I replaced my flood light with one that records 20sec of video to an SD card every time the motion sensor goes off.   

Is that the floodlight that also announces a warning to trespassers?

I use X10 floodlights and BVC to get something similar.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 03:21:39 AM by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) »

SteveStevens

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2009, 12:17:53 PM »

Boy this is weird.  I just joined the forum, my name is Steve, I have the same flood light I just installed and yes it works well.  Only problem is going up and down the ladder.  It is a very nice system and needs no added wires except for 120VAC.  It comes with a 1 GB card and will take a 2, records and date stamps a directory for each day after you set the time and date.  It seems to auto zoom some depending on where the trigger occurs.

Now the con.  Going up and down the darn ladder to retrieve the SD card or you can plug-in your laptop via USB cable if you like.  My second time up, I fell with the ladder (small step ladder, last step, yeah not very smart  B:(  )

I just purchased the XCam2 color with VCR Commander and all to sort of make it easier to review before I climb again to retrieve stick.  BTW, the camera has a narrower field of view than the light sensor so beware and aim at what you want.

Sorry, didn't mean to interrupt.

Steve II   :)+

HA Dave

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2009, 03:30:13 PM »

..... Now the con.  Going up and down the darn ladder to retrieve the SD card..

I am so glad you posted the review!

I do have a question... I thought the camera would "write-over" any pictures previously taken. Is that correct? And by my calculations/guessamations... the 1 gig card would last for some time. Digitally speaking... how many Kb are the pictures?

I rarely review any videos or images. I mean I have... I've seen the ratcoons, stray cats, deer, and wife taking trash out. It's nice to know that if someone tries to jimmy open my door... I might capture decent video of it. But I really hope the cameras never collect any evidence. I think the alarm, alarm signs and stickers,visible cameras... and voice warning should deter most would be intruders

Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.