Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: MS10 Motion Detectors False Alarms  (Read 52927 times)

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
MS10 Motion Detectors False Alarms
« on: July 28, 2008, 11:32:13 PM »

Say anyone know why you get so many false alarms with the MS10a's in the 1st position, think I read somewhere that it was because of RF interference, anyone know for sure? Anyone recently buy a Protector Plus system I would be curious to know if you've gotten ANY false alarms in the one movement mode. Someone said that they might have made some improvements on them but I'm not for sure. I REALLY HATE FALSE ALARMS!!

Tom j.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: MS10 Motion Detectors False Alarms
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 01:22:37 PM »

Say anyone know why you get so many false alarms with the MS10a's in the 1st position...........

You know.... I don't. My unit isn't new and the sensors... are older than the console.

I think my success is due largely to my placement of the sensors. I know sensors react to temperature and often light changes. So... I was careful to avoid areas with windows and heat/AC vents. I know that can sound restrictive.... as It kinda limits their use to hallways, stairwells, entry areas and walk-in closets. I would guess in most cases that is plenty enough to restrict any movement within a home.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

tom j

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 07:39:41 PM »

Say anyone know why you get so many false alarms with the MS10a's in the 1st position...........

You know.... I don't. My unit isn't new and the sensors... are older than the console.

I think my success is due largely to my placement of the sensors. I know sensors react to temperature and often light changes. So... I was careful to avoid areas with windows and heat/AC vents. I know that can sound restrictive.... as It kinda limits their use to hallways, stairwells, entry areas and walk-in closets. I would guess in most cases that is plenty enough to restrict any movement within a home.

Hi Dave! say have you ever gotten any false alarms in the 1st position? I noticed when I got the last one before I just switched to 2 movement mode that when I rushed home I noticed that there was an EMS unit a few doors down always thought that maybe their RF might have triggered it. Think that's possible? I don't know what frequency they use. Thanks!

Tom j.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 08:15:43 PM by tom j »

HA Dave

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 08:42:39 PM »

............have you ever gotten any false alarms in the 1st position?

I've never used anything but the 1 position.

tom j

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 11:56:47 PM »

............have you ever gotten any false alarms in the 1st position?

I've never used anything but the 1 position.

That's what I was asking have you ever got a false alarm in the 1st position. Thanks

Tom j.

HA Dave

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 08:17:59 AM »

I feel confident that if someone was to break into my home... the alarm... ether door/window or motion sensor would detect and report them. I am very happy with the X10 alarm system.  The bad thing is ... with a break-in... considerable damage would already be done.  Both the damage of a window or door and the emotional damage a break-in causes.

That is why I started the thread: Keep them outside - better than a yard sign. I hope to encourage discussion and hopefully discover new methods of preventing the break-in... opposed to just detecting it.

tom j

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 03:53:05 PM »

I feel confident that if someone was to break into my home... the alarm... ether door/window or motion sensor would detect and report them. I am very happy with the X10 alarm system.  The bad thing is ... with a break-in... considerable damage would already be done.  Both the damage of a window or door and the emotional damage a break-in causes.

That is why I started the thread: Keep them outside - better than a yard sign. I hope to encourage discussion and hopefully discover new methods of preventing the break-in... opposed to just detecting it.

Got ya. I get it that you like the system but have you ever gotten a FLASE alarm with the MS10a's in the 1st position, never a few or what. You never really addressed my question just curious. Thanks

Tom j.

HA Dave

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 04:01:59 PM »

.......... have you ever gotten a FLASE alarm with the MS10a's in the 1st position, never a few or what. You never really addressed my question just curious.

I don't get false alarms. I have never used the #2 setting on the MS10A... I have only used the #1 setting.

I really think careful placement of the motion sensors is key to preventing the false alarms.... IMHO.

tom j

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 04:23:54 PM »

.......... have you ever gotten a FLASE alarm with the MS10a's in the 1st position, never a few or what. You never really addressed my question just curious.

I don't get false alarms. I have never used the #2 setting on the MS10A... I have only used the #1 setting.

I really think careful placement of the motion sensors is key to preventing the false alarms.... IMHO.

WHY do you keep saying you don't use the 2nd setting?? If you go back and read my posts you will see I was asking you specifically about the 1st setting and I said it 3 times, 1st setting but you answered the question, so OK Thanks

Tom j.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 04:27:28 PM by tom j »

HA Dave

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 04:27:13 PM »

WHY do you keep saying you don't use the 2nd setting??

Because other people may also read this post..... and I think the 2nd setting is near useless.... for a home alarm system.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 04:28:49 PM by Dave_x10_L »

tom j

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 04:31:46 PM »

WHY do you keep saying you don't use the 2nd setting??

Because other people may also read this post..... and I think the 2nd setting is near useless.

Well actually I have to respectfully disagree with you on this one. You did point out that yours are older and they actually have made some tremendous improvements on the newer ones in the 2nd or 2 movement mode they are actually pretty good IF you get a GOOD one. The older ones were junk though I agree.

Tom j

« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 12:00:08 AM by tom j »

tom j

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 08:34:18 PM »

hmmm..... Now I'm starting to think that x10 might have also made some improvements on the MS10a's in the 1st position. I'm currently testing out a mega system for a friend and I've had two motion detectors set to the one movement mode going on two weeks and pointed at a north sunny window it's going on well at least 12 days and no false alarms! even had a EMS come down the street today I just knew it would trip it but it didn't, letting my friend use two of my good ones that work really well in the two movement mode and leave these connected for maybe 2 months just as a test. There in a spare bedroom so it shouldn't be a problem will report back and let you know how this test goes if x10 did improve these I think they should let people know like saying "New & Improved" or something. I actually tried this test a few years ago and they tripped after maybe 5 or 6 days and they weren't even pointing at a hot window, and they never even made it this long. What do you guys think? having these pointed at a hot window in a hot room (vent closed no air) for 12 days straight is pretty impressive for a MS10a!

Tom j.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 11:52:46 PM by tom j »

tom j

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2008, 09:40:54 PM »

Well if I walk in the room they detect the motion and temperature difference and pick me up right away but still no false alarms, hmm I'm impressed!

Tom j.

tom j

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2008, 01:26:21 AM »

You know when I tried this same test a few years back after they tripped the first time maybe after a week or a little less I repeated it again and the same thing happen. Then I put the same 2 MS10a's in a shoe box in the same room these new ones are in and they still gave me a false alarm that told me there was something else going on beside placement. I believe it was some kind of RF interference that they were susceptible to. Another guy here on the boards repeated the same experiment by placing them in a box and the same thing happen to him. These are going on three weeks I'll have to check the date for sure but there been absolutely no false alarms and pointing a motion detector at a hot window is about the worst thing you can do they must have improved them but we'll see if they can go the distance.

Tom j.

HA Dave

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2008, 11:15:42 AM »

...........pointing a motion detector at a hot window is about the worst thing you can do they must have improved them.

I agree.... that the window test would generally be a guarantee fail. However... the angle of the sun may also effect the test results.... and the angle will change with the seasons. I think you had the right idea about the previous failures being related to an RF problem.

When using X10 and the setup works for a period of time... and then suddenly stops... we ask ourselves what has changed. I think the same trouble shooting question might apply with your setup now.
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.