Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: XPS3 turns off then back on  (Read 6297 times)

Elvis666

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
  • X10 Beginner - Computer Old-Timer
XPS3 turns off then back on
« on: August 08, 2008, 10:46:41 AM »

The switch I installed for my ceiling fan will not run off remotely. When I send a G3 OFF command, it clicks switch, once off then back on. Looking at the activity log, only an OFF command is being sent. I can turn it off manually.

Has anyone ever seen this behavior before? I assume the switch is defective.

Elvis666
Coding since 1979

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
Re: XPS3 turns off then back on
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 11:32:28 AM »

...Has anyone ever seen this behavior before?...
Yes

...I assume the switch is defective....
I don't think so.

My switch does this also on low and medium settings but not the high setting. For me it's not a problem since I use it on high all the time.
These are the suggestions that were made to me. I think the resister idea would be the best fix.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 12:03:33 PM by steven r »
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Elvis666

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 12:45:23 PM »

My switch does this also on low and medium settings but not the high setting. For me it's not a problem since I use it on high all the time.
These are the suggestions that were made to me. I think the resister idea would be the best fix.
I'll try changing the speed of the fan to high and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks.
Coding since 1979

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 12:48:47 PM »

Like Steven said.
Most likely not defective. Some devices can make enough electronic noise to restart a wall switch. I have one Fluorescent under counter light that drives any X10 or Smarthome appliance module nuts. ::)

Elvis666

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 01:15:57 PM »

Yeah, I set the fan to high and it works fine. Unfortunately, my wife is going to hate having it on high. If it replace it with a XPDI3, is there any chance that that would work better?

Thanks.
Coding since 1979

Boiler

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 04:45:08 PM »

Yeah, I set the fan to high and it works fine. Unfortunately, my wife is going to hate having it on high. If it replace it with a XPDI3, is there any chance that that would work better?

Thanks.

Elvis,

Depending on the configuration of your Fan motor, a XPDI3 may work.  It's been reported that these tend to work with less expensive fan models.

I tried a XPDI3 with one of my Hunter fans for ~30 seconds.  I found the fan hum unbearable at lower settings.  I installed a Smarthome Icon relay unit and haven't had a problem. 

There's an article over at Smarthome dealing with the subject of fans - http://www.smarthome.com/solution29.html.

One of the SH solutions is to add an in-line filter to "smooth" the pulses that are being output from the switch.  I've never tried this, but I can remember Martin (AutomatedOutlet) suggesting this as a solution for the XPS3 turn off problem.  I poo pooed the idea at the time (my bad) but it may have some merit.  The idea is that the filter will slow the back EMF pulse from the motor "enough" to keep it from turning the XPS3 back on.

Let us know which direction you're headed.  If you try the filter, and find that it works, please let me know - I'll owe Martin an apology.

Boiler

Elvis666

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 05:14:03 PM »

I wasn't going to use the dimmable switch to control the fan speed, just wondered if it might be less susceptible to the EMF turning it back on. I'm going to buy at least one more X10 switch for fans and I might try an XPDI3 and see what happens. I'm not comfortable with putting a resistor in parallel with the switch, I would worry too much about some error of mine causing a problem.

I think for now I'll just live with the remote not being able to run off the fan. My wife does like being able to run it on without getting up!

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Elvis
Coding since 1979

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.