Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Are many poeple using the XPT?  (Read 3818 times)

aslamma

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
Are many poeple using the XPT?
« on: August 12, 2008, 07:46:24 PM »

For transmitters, the only options appear to be the XPT and the stick-a-switches...are there other options?

If you use the XPT though, it seems you lose the ability to control the light that was originally in its place.  X-10 sold me a XPT (in wall transmitter) and also a XPDF (in line dimmer so I can still control the light switch that was originally there).  But in order to do that it appears you would need to get the XPDF inside the gang box...and that does not look physically possible.  So what is the intent here.  How are people using these?  All my units are controlled via RF, but I wanted to see if I could get a more reliable (and better feeling) controller to work...but just not sure how to go about it now.

Boiler

Re: Are many poeple using the XPT?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 08:49:46 PM »

For transmitters, the only options appear to be the XPT and the stick-a-switches...are there other options?

If you use the XPT though, it seems you lose the ability to control the light that was originally in its place.  X-10 sold me a XPT (in wall transmitter) and also a XPDF (in line dimmer so I can still control the light switch that was originally there).  But in order to do that it appears you would need to get the XPDF inside the gang box...and that does not look physically possible.  So what is the intent here.  How are people using these?  All my units are controlled via RF, but I wanted to see if I could get a more reliable (and better feeling) controller to work...but just not sure how to go about it now.

Yes there are other options.  Smarthome makes a 6 and 8 button Keypadlinc that will control a local load.  The current versions are Insteon based but backward compatible with X10 basic commands (On/Off/Bight/Dim/All-on/All-Off).  These units are X-10 2-way; they will broadcast their local address/on/off when the local load is activated (can come in handy).  Pricey compared to X10, but not a ton more than the XPT/Leviton transmitter series.

Link: 6 Button KPL

There are still some of the older (X10 only) Smarthome Keypadlincs around.  I believe some of the forum members may have some of these and would be better able to comment on their capabilities.

Boiler

aslamma

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 09:51:52 PM »

Boiler..cool, that is a good idea.  This is a relatively new solution so I was thinking that historically what the options were.  It doesnt seem the XPT is very practical for simpler installs.

Curious though.  I have a Insteon module and put it in X-10 mode.  It seemed to behave a little different than the "new" X-10 dimmers though.  The new X-10 modules resume dim from their previous level and I didnt remember the Insteon doing this.  I want to be consistent in the way it performs so would need to make sure this module would act the same eventhough is it X-10 compatible. 
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 09:53:50 PM by aslamma »

Boiler

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 10:52:26 PM »

...Curious though.  I have a Insteon module and put it in X-10 mode.  It seemed to behave a little different than the "new" X-10 dimmers though.  The new X-10 modules resume dim from their previous level and I didnt remember the Insteon doing this.  I want to be consistent in the way it performs so would need to make sure this module would act the same eventhough is it X-10 compatible. 

Aslamma,

That could pose a problem - the Insteon switches will not respond the same as your "new" WS467's.  Early on, X10 defined a Preset dim1 and dim2 protocol.  The is the protocol that Smarthome uses on the Insteon units.  Unfortunately, X10 abandoned this protocol in favor of the "extended code direct dim" commands that you are using with the "new" WS467's.  Another unfortunate issue is the fact that AHP cannot issue the Preset Dim1 and Dim2 commands (X10 abandoned this).  The CM15a is completely capable of issuing the command, the software just doesn't support it (you can send the command from the AHCMD command line SDK).

The above being said, the Smarthome units do support X10 scenes (a bit different than the X10 implementation).  Basically you can program the switch with a base X10 address which will allow it to respond to all of the "basic" x10 commands (like the old ws467's).  Beyond that, you can program additional "scene addresses", each with it's own on level and ramp rate/  Most units are capable of up to 255 different scenes (255 different x10 addresses).  Using this feature, you could program 6 different addresses (scenes - A1-A6) and call them through a AHP macro just like you would a normal X10 unit.

One additional caution - since the Insteon units are 2-way transmitter/receivers, they do absorb more signal than a normal X10 unit.  This could cause problems down the road as your system grows.

While programming scenes on the Insteon units using AHP isn't easy (long code sequence) it is possible.  Give is a try with the unit you have to see if you like the results.

Boiler

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 06:44:15 AM »

They also send an X10 on; off and preset dim; when their local buttons do something.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.