Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wireless Wall Switch?  (Read 2274 times)

ceebeeee

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Wireless Wall Switch?
« on: August 16, 2008, 02:51:23 PM »

I'd to add some lighting to a 70's era living room (no overhead lightinging, 1 switched lamp outlet - lavalamp ventage!). I had in mind to use X10 'Rocket Sockets', or TM751 Transceivers. However, I would like to couple these with a wall mounted switch, but one that would wirelessly activate the above (it would be great to find one that mounts in an exsisting 110V switch box). Also, hope I'm not asking too much. . . but would like the decorator style with dimming ability. Does X10 offer such a product?
Thanks so much in advance for any help!
CB

Boiler

Re: Wireless Wall Switch?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 04:18:55 PM »

I'd to add some lighting to a 70's era living room (no overhead lightinging, 1 switched lamp outlet - lavalamp ventage!). I had in mind to use X10 'Rocket Sockets', or TM751 Transceivers. However, I would like to couple these with a wall mounted switch, but one that would wirelessly activate the above (it would be great to find one that mounts in an exsisting 110V switch box). Also, hope I'm not asking too much. . . but would like the decorator style with dimming ability. Does X10 offer such a product?
Thanks so much in advance for any help!
CB

ceebeeee,

Welcome to the forum.

From what I understand of your request, you have an existing switch that controls outlets in your family room.  You would like to replace this switch with one that can "communicate" with other devices (socket rockets, etc).

A few points -
1) You mentioned using a decora style dimmer switch with a "LM15a socket rocket".  Not sure if you realized that the socket rockets are not dimmable (ON/OFF only).  You may want to consider a LM465 lamp dimmer if you want dimming control of your lamp.
2) I know of no "wire in" RF devices that are X10 compatible.  X10 does make a "stick a switch" that can communicate with a rf receiver (tm751 or rr501).
3) X10/X10pro may a line of transmitters (wire in) that can probably do what you want.  These devices are not "decora" style.

What you are asking for is a "virtual 3-way" device.  Essentially a switch that can control another device without any physical connection.

Smarthome does make a number of 2-way wire in switches that can communicate with X10 devices.  These switches require a neutral connection (normally a white wire) to make them work.  While these normally control a load (hardwire lighting), they are not rated for controlling outlets.  The work around is to wire them in parallel with the outlet circuit and not use the switch output (the switch will still be able to communicate through the powerline - let me know if you don't understand this).

The Smarthome units will transmit a On/Off/dim/bright  in response to button presses/holds and can therefore turn on other devices on the powerline.  The units do require "programming".  If you have a RF remote/TM571 is can be used.  Otherwise you'll need a similar device (Maxi controller is a nice device for Smarthome Units).

Smarthome decora units are located here:  2476d Dimmer

An alternative (for controlling multiple devices) is located here:  2486 Keypad

I use both of the above devices,

Boiler

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.