Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: SOLVED: Are there any keychain-like remotes that do any house / unit?  (Read 3111 times)

bitman

• Helpful Post Rating: 9

I had the idea that I could hack a x10 keychain remote to use it's guts but sadly if only supports units 1&2 or 5&6 (If I remember).
I want one that can address any one unit from 1-16. I'm playing with a tilt switch and want to wirelessly on/off an appliance controller via the switch state. I need it to be small so the keychain remote inerds would be ideal, but the limited unit codes kill the deal.

Thanks,
:Ron
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 11:01:22 PM by bitman »
Long live X10! - Because I just like it is all.....

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
Re: Are there any keychain-like remotes that do any house / unit?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 01:32:08 PM »

How many UCs are you looking to control? Are they all on the same HC?

There's a remote about the size of a credit card that has 4 on & offs. Also while the palm pad remote is most likely bigger than you want it controls all 16 UCs of the selected HC. I also expect most of it's size is for the buttons and that the chip and components inside are small so it could work.

Out of curiosity, what is your application?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 01:40:31 PM by steven r »
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 04:31:41 PM »

The KR19A SlimFire Pocket Remote can have its 1st unit code set to any number (1 thru 16); the 2nd unit code is always +1 (or 1 if the 1st is set to 16). So if you are just looking for a small remote that you can set to any unit code, then the KR19A will work.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 04:46:14 PM »

The KR19A SlimFire Pocket Remote can have its 1st unit code set to any number (1 thru 16); the 2nd unit code is always +1 (or 1 if the 1st is set to 16). So if you are just looking for a small remote that you can set to any unit code, then the KR19A will work.
I have to agree the KR19A is the remote your looking for although the method for programing them isn't always what is printed on the manual, See: KR19A Slimfire Remote Programming Discrepancies... [Updated: 2006/11/22]
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bitman

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 10:45:47 PM »

No kiddin?

I bought my wife a KR19A (Big spender) for her side of the bed post (I put it on a cloth neck strap) so she has easy access to the lamp controls in the bedroom. AFAIK that's the little bugger that only addresses 1 and 2 or 5 and 6. I was disappointed when I read the manual that stated that fact. So there is more to it and can maybe be programmed to any starting unit code. - Super. I'll chase this rabbit.  ;D

My application is a bit different. One way or another, either via touch detection, tilt detection or some other way I want to turn on and off an already x10 controlled, 10 channel audio mixer when someone puts on the headphones that are attached to it. When they take them off their head and set them down. I want the mixer to turn off.

I have six of these mixers in the tracking room of my little recording studio here. All on appliance controllers. I use a remote to turn them on and off as needed for the recording musicians, but even though I have an AH screen in front of me with the module status staring me in the face, I space it and forget to turn on phones for them. Conversely, I might forget to turn off the drummers blaring headphones when someone is in there overdubbing a delicate acoustic guitar part with open mics nearby. I used to run around like a mad man. Now with x10 I can stay in one spot where I should be. But boy oh boy If I could make it all happen automatically, that would be neat. And full of other trouble I expect.

This is just a pilot program right now to see if it will work but anyway I do it will require the guts of a remote to send out the signal to the TM751. And have it a somewhere mounted on the headphones.

- Gotta do something between sessions.  :P

« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 11:09:44 PM by bitman »

bitman

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 11:00:54 PM »

Woo Hoo!

Thanks for the instructions link!

Contrary to what my instructions say, indeed I can make the RK19A control any pair of addresses from 1-16.
It works too!

Sweet.

Thanks so much guys.  >!

<---------Why am I a senior member with questions like these?  ::)

« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 11:15:45 PM by bitman »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.