Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: NEC 2008 NFPA70  (Read 2289 times)

funoldman

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
NEC 2008 NFPA70
« on: September 02, 2008, 02:05:49 PM »

Now that the  2008 NEC is being adopted in many localities, arc fault breakers are now required in many more areas of residential dwellings. Will an X10 receptacle (such as  SR227) work with an arc fault circuit breaker? Will the x10 function of the receptacle  work properly? Also will the Arc-Fault breaker perform as intended? I suppose the same question would also apply to GFI breakers and receptacles.

Another requirement is for tamper resistant and weather resistant receptacles. (TR and WR)  Are there any x10 models available with this rating?

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
Re: NEC 2008 NFPA70
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 04:50:35 PM »

Now that the  2008 NEC is being adopted in many localities, arc fault breakers are now required in many more areas of residential dwellings. Will an X10 receptacle (such as  SR227) work with an arc fault circuit breaker? Will the x10 function of the receptacle  work properly? Also will the Arc-Fault breaker perform as intended? I suppose the same question would also apply to GFI breakers and receptacles....
I have a X10 receptacle socket on my front porch that is on a GFI breaker. Also I have assorted X10 items in my bedroom which is on an arc fault breaker and haven't had any problems.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 05:02:17 PM »

Arc-fault and GFIs get mixed results.

I had problems with GFIs outlets blocking X10 signals. It varied by brand whether the outlet would stop the signal. Units using large toroid's to detect current differential stopped the signal. Units with small toroid's worked fine. Arc-faults also seem to get mixed reviews.  Some block the signal and some do not, again my bet is on brand and how the manufacture-er detects the arc noise.

In other words you may have to experiment to answer your question. Search this forum for GFI and Arc Fault interrupters.

There is nothing in properly working X10 modules that would interfere with either GFIs or AFIs.

As far as the last question...no. They depend on the enclosure.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

bitman

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 10:57:44 PM »

My TM751 is plugged into a GFI socket in my garage. No troubles whatsoever. It's very close to the breaker box for whatever that's worth.
Long live X10! - Because I just like it is all.....

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.