Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Purchase decission questions  (Read 9925 times)

charz

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
New Purchase decission questions
« on: September 21, 2008, 11:14:59 PM »

Hello All, I am thinking about purchasing the home security system but have a couple of questions about the door/window sensors. What happens is the batteries are removed or go dead after a system is armed? What happens if the batteries are missing or dead when trying to arm a system? If I go out for the night and enable all door and window sensors and tell the teenage not to leave the house, is there a way around the system?. I am aware that he can unplug the phone line which would disable the system from calling out, is there a way to "fix" this? Sorry for the questions, but I really whould like to know before purchasing.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
Re: New Purchase decission questions
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 02:21:57 AM »

...I go out for the night and enable all door and window sensors and tell the teenage not to leave the house, is there a way around the system?. I am aware that he can unplug the phone line which would disable the system from calling out, is there a way to "fix" this?...
Welcome to the forum! Hang in there. I expect someone that uses the system will post a response for you soon. (I don't have the system.)

Meanwhile... I have to ask. Do you want the the system to keep crooks out or to "lock in" your teenager?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 11:02:33 AM by steven r »
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 06:38:10 AM »

Hello All, I am thinking about purchasing the home security system but have a couple of questions about the door/window sensors. What happens is the batteries are removed or go dead after a system is armed? What happens if the batteries are missing or dead when trying to arm a system?

The system will not arm properly if the sensors are disabled, by removing the batteries... attempting to disable the sensors while armed will (should) trip the alarm.

If I go out for the night and enable all door and window sensors and tell the teenage not to leave the house, is there a way around the system?. I am aware that he can unplug the phone line which would disable the system from calling out, is there a way to "fix" this? Sorry for the questions, but I really would like to know before purchasing.

There are things you can do to "secure" the system.... like hardwiring sensors to a remote location. But even armed guards sometimes see young restrainees escape.

It concerns me that you used the phrase "If I go out for the night...... and tell the teenage not to leave". It sounds very much like your holding a captive.... NOT protecting a loved one. The simple solution [of course] is to limit "going out"... or take "the teenager" with you. Asking a teenager to embrace behaviors (like NOT going out) that you DO NOT embrace yourself... generally will not work well.

It's sad to say... but generally when our children behave they're worst... is when they mimic OUR bad behavior.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 07:02:03 AM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

charz

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 08:24:14 AM »

Geese, I was asking a hypothetical technical question, I didn't know this was the Dr. Phil show. I just want to know all aspects of the system inside and out to help me make and educated informed purchasing decision. OK, lets try this from  another angle, lets say someone sneaks in the house during an afternoon before the system is armed for the evening. The "thief" then takes a handful of jewels and trys to sneak out. He notices the window monitor, pops open the door and removes the batteries. What happens if the batteries are removed from a window monitor after the system is armed?

BaBaLou.

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 04:56:17 PM »

Hi, charz and welcome to the forum. To put it simply no matter the reasons, If one was able to remove the batteries from the sensor while it was armed is not to say it is impossible but I can assure you it would be very hard. Any movement made to the sensor in the attempt to remove battries, would almost set the system off. Always a good reason to elevate the sensor so as to a get a better view and at the same time it allows you to keep it a little out of touch, also the MS10A come with an arm that is screwed in to the sensor allowing you to connects it to the wall and then adjust which way you would want to aim it or you can just Velcro it to the wall. I have not tested the unit to see if I did remove the batteries, would it trigger if movement is not a factor for the test. The DS7000 is a very reliable system and does every 60 min sends an RF signal to each D/W sensor to check on its condition and if the no responce then it would flash a the red light slowly on the console. It also send a RF to the motion sensor every 90 min approx. If the sensor was played with before arming the system then it will indicate when you arm with a repeated beep and wont arm until you either press bypass or fix the problem. A simple explanation, feel free to ask for more, there are many here to help. good luck.
BaBaLou.
ps. maybe a cam to be able to check on anything or anyone home on the web from anywhere or even 3rd generation Cell phones and Iphones. Just a thought.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 05:23:12 PM by BaBaLou. »

charz

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 05:48:13 PM »

Thanks BaBALou but i was more interested in the Window and Door sensors. i called tech support this morning and they told me that it would go off if the batteries were removed after arming and it would not arm if the batteries were dead or removed in any sensor. Question answered, I made my purchase, thanks again.

I was a little upset to find that they dont offer repeaters any more. Hopefully I wont need one, but if i do, can anyone recommend another solution to improve signal strength?

BaBaLou.

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 06:37:25 PM »

Good to know. Signal strength would be an issue when you get the system i guess ???, if there is then search around the forum for the topic about Passive Reflector.

tom j

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 03:44:34 AM »

Thanks BaBALou but i was more interested in the Window and Door sensors. i called tech support this morning and they told me that it would go off if the batteries were removed after arming and it would not arm if the batteries were dead or removed in any sensor. Question answered, I made my purchase, thanks again.

I was a little upset to find that they dont offer repeaters any more. Hopefully I wont need one, but if i do, can anyone recommend another solution to improve signal strength?

Hi well I'm actually going to try this and let you know what happens my guess would be that if you cut the power to the sensor it would not go off but we'll see Hum Dr. Phil that was funny.  rofl

Tom j.

HA Dave

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 06:02:32 PM »

......... If I go out for the night and enable all door and window sensors and tell the teenage not to leave the house, is there a way around the system?.

....... lets try this from  another angle, lets say someone sneaks in the house during an afternoon before the system is armed for the evening. The "thief" then takes a handful of jewels and trys to sneak out.

..................... Hum Dr. Phil that was funny.  rofl

Tom j.

Yeah... tom j I guess your right! I certainly hope so.... it read to me like someone was being "locked-up". My Dad was a career policeman... and I guess I heard too many stories. But believe it or not.... it happens.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 06:04:57 PM by Dave_x10_L »

charz

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 09:51:19 PM »

Sorry for the confusion everyone, and thanks for trying to help.

I placed my order a couple of days ago and already received the product. GREAT! shipping but poor response from whoever handles notifications. I did get an email for my order but never got a tracking number. I went on line and filled out the request for a tracking number and still nothing. My wife finally called and got it, no delays in shipping, it only took a couple of days. Sales person was real nice, even helped me with shipping cost and expedition.

Now, real problem, I installed one Door/Window sensor and the PowerStation and the remote command center and a keychain remote. Easy setup, only took a couple of minutes, maybe an hour. All test were good until I removed the batteries from the Door/Window sensor after arming the system. just as I feared, nothing happened. With the system armed, there is no notification of battery failure and the door could be opened and closed with NO ALARM. What this means is once you arm your system, if a set of batteries dies then you will never know, that station will not alert you until next arming. Looks like support was wrong, guess i will be contacting them tomorrow.

BaBaLou.

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 10:12:34 PM »

As tom j seems to b e correct again on this one.
It seems you are protecting the outside from the inside. I guess it would not be appropriate to place the DS10A sensor on the outside of the Door/Window. Then Using the MS10A and have the unit facing the DS10A sensor, then anyone trying to not only remove the batteries, they can remove the whole DS10A alltogether. Hope that help.
BaBaLou.

tom j

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 02:05:56 AM »

No offense Dave it had noting to do with you. But that was funny.

Tom j.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 11:24:03 PM by tom j »

tom j

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2008, 02:13:31 AM »

Sorry for the confusion everyone, and thanks for trying to help.

I placed my order a couple of days ago and already received the product. GREAT! shipping but poor response from whoever handles notifications. I did get an email for my order but never got a tracking number. I went on line and filled out the request for a tracking number and still nothing. My wife finally called and got it, no delays in shipping, it only took a couple of days. Sales person was real nice, even helped me with shipping cost and expedition.

Now, real problem, I installed one Door/Window sensor and the PowerStation and the remote command center and a keychain remote. Easy setup, only took a couple of minutes, maybe an hour. All test were good until I removed the batteries from the Door/Window sensor after arming the system. just as I feared, nothing happened. With the system armed, there is no notification of battery failure and the door could be opened and closed with NO ALARM. What this means is once you arm your system, if a set of batteries dies then you will never know, that station will not alert you until next arming. Looks like support was wrong, guess i will be contacting them tomorrow.

Charz I really don't think you have to worry about this one if you place your motion detectors and window door sensors strategically Dave is good at this, NO ONE will be able to get close enough to to remove the batteries! Dave has a post about keeping them on the outside maybe he can provide the link.

Tom j.

HA Dave

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2008, 10:41:05 AM »

Dave has a post about keeping them on the outside maybe he can provide the link.

Tom j.

Yep the thread is titled "Keep them outside - better than a yard sign". I had read that an "alarm service yard sign" can deter crime by 400% over homes without a sign. And... that a visible camera monitoring system will also deter criminals. With these facts in mind I am hoping to find new ideas and methods to deter break-ins BEFORE the damage is done. It was in that effort that I created my Voice Announcement Perimeter Detection System.

But I haven't read any posts where the owner of THIS thread was concerned about keeping anyone OUTSIDE.

However... the perimeter detection system does work in ether (or both) directions. But in this case it may be that a perimeter detection would have the same [built-in] fault as an intrusion detection alarm has for most people. The intrusion (burglar) alarm only sounds once a break-in/entry has been detected. Hence... it doesn't PREVENT a break-in... it just reports it AFTER it happens.

If your intentions are to keep someone INSIDE... the perimeter warning would merely report the detected escape.

However.... there are (I guess) legitimate reasons for wanting to confine family members (short of court ordered ankle bracelets). I would recommend concealed magnetic switches and wires used with the X10 door/widow sensors (I remotely wire my sensors just to keep the "boxes" out-of-sight). A perimeter detection system I use as shown in my YouTube Video could also be configured to work in conjunction with a alarm system*. If the controls for BOTH were kept in a locked room/area (even a out-building) it should work.

Using a setup as above... The alarm system would serve as the deterrent. The perimeter detection system would then function more as a conventional alarm system... reporting the escape (as opposed to the break-in)

Actually... the more I think about this....
Using AHP (and the CM15A) along with the On-Alert software and a (DS 7000 setup) along with thrid-party software (like BVC) I think... a clock type macro could even be created. A [clock-timed] triggered computer voice announcement [reminder] could then require a button be pushed to "prevent" the alarm from being triggered. ie: "It is required that you report you are present. Push the remote control button labled A1 to indicate you are here. You have 20 seconds to comply.**"

* I would use the PR511 floorlights or EagleEye motion sensor to trigger a universal modules to open the contacts of a door/window sensor.

** Voice reminders should NOT be used to remind it to rub lotion on its skin.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 05:51:07 PM by Dave_x10_L »

tom j

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2008, 11:26:27 PM »

Maybe I misread the initial post.

Tom j.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.