Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Camera setup on 40 acres  (Read 11843 times)

chronictom

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Camera setup on 40 acres
« on: October 10, 2008, 10:19:10 PM »

What would it take to be able to have cameras at different points around a 40 acre (1/4 mile by 1/4 mile, or 1270 feet by 1270 feet) chunk of land?

The reciever/computer will be about 500 feet in from one corner of the property.

Thanks

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Camera setup on 40 acres
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 09:34:40 PM »

What would it take to be able to have cameras at different points around a 40 acre (1/4 mile by 1/4 mile, or 1270 feet by 1270 feet) chunk of land?
The reciever/computer will be about 500 feet in from one corner of the property.

1/4 of a mile.... NO PROBLEM... check just one of these Sentinel Cameras. They have a "starlight" vision which is awesome... and zoom that's hard to believe. You will need to mount it up high... like on a pole.

For long range notification of a tresspasser use a long range motion sensor (that will tell you where to point the camera) can even be connected to an X10 powerflash module. That can (when used with AHP) tell the camera to scan to a preset position. (I have even used cheaper longish range sensors and modified them to work with X10).

I will assume (even though I know what happens when I do that) you have a home or cabin where the computer is. Around it I would use X10 (PR511) floodlights (a favorite of mine) and maybe a couple wireless cameras too. I would use AHP with the full suite of (FREE extra) software (and the CM15A) along wth a Video adapter to use the computer to record (and or email) video.

Then I would add a Voice announcement warning system. Just to let any would be intruders know your prepared. I have a setup like that (you can see in action) on my YouTube Video.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 10:06:56 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

chronictom

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 09:43:32 PM »

perhaps I stated it wrong?

I don't want a camera that can see 1/4 mile...

I want to be able to set up isolated cameras around construction projects and wildlife spots around the property. This is a fully treed piece of land almost completely flat with a very slight rise to the south east.

HA Dave

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 10:09:37 PM »

I don't want a camera that can see 1/4 mile...
I want to be able to set up isolated cameras around construction projects and wildlife spots around the property.

Do these sites have electric?

chronictom

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008, 10:29:37 PM »

Some of them will, the construction projects specifically. The wildlife points won't, or at least not regular, they could be set up with 12v source (or 110ac with an inverter).

Oh and it's can get very cold here to like -40, and the I would like the wildlife cams to operate year round.

HA Dave

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008, 10:42:01 PM »

...........(or 110ac with an inverter).  Oh and it's can get very cold here to like -40.

X10 devices don't like the "square wave" AC you normally get from an inverter..... but X10 loves the cold.

It would be easy to wire the cameras to even the remote areas. I have read of tests using the wired cameras with CAT5 up to 1000 feet. But... with that said... the X10 cameras and recording works by turning cameras and recorders (or computer notification) on and off.. via X10 signals. So the range of the X10 motion sensor won't be long enough (less than 100 feet). So you will need to setup a floodlight or long range motion sensor. Like I mentioned earlier.

chronictom

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2008, 10:59:14 PM »

Is there some way to run a 'node' type system? As in run wires out to a few spots that are central to where I want the cameras set up, have an x10 transciever at each one?

I am hoping that for at least the wildlife cams that I can use the "XCam2 NightWatch Wireless Low-Light B/W Camera" so there is no disturbance to animals with lights flashing on and off.

HA Dave

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2008, 04:15:57 AM »

Is there some way to run a 'node' type system? As in run wires out to a few spots that are central to where I want the cameras set up, have an x10 transciever at each one?

The transceiver receives X10 radio signals... like from a remote.. and then puts those signals onto the powerline. The powerline singals would turn the cameras power supplies on and off. So you really only need one.

A good way to break into the cameras.... is just buy a "one camera package". They don't cost much and you'll learn a ton.

chronictom

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2008, 04:19:34 AM »

That is my plan, but I want to do it with intelligence. I'm trying to get a rough idea of what I will need to get set up the way I want, so I can buy pieces as I go that work both for the temp set up and in the final one.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.