Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Concern about wireless control  (Read 4187 times)

amunoztico

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Concern about wireless control
« on: November 20, 2008, 02:04:18 PM »

Hi everyone.. I am a new user in X10 technology.

I have a question about the security on the wireless system.  Let me explain.

I want to install a Wireless Transceiver (TM751) and control the X10 staff with a PalmPad Remote (HR12A).

My concern is about the "security" on the wireless transmision.  Could my next-door neighbor buy a PalmPad Remote or Keychain Remote and take control of my X10 staff?  How could I avoid that any neighbor or any people take control of the X10 Staff from outside of my house?

I'd appreciate your help.

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
Re: Concern about wireless control
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 02:40:10 PM »

amunoztico: Welcome to the forum and to X10.

You concerns about X10 security are legitimate, and unfortunately the answer is there is no security. You are correct, anyone could use another X10 remote and control your lights/appliances from outside your house.

However, X10 is not as widely used and one might think. The probability of your neighbor(s) having & using X10 is very low. The chances that someone will sit outside your house with a palmpad remote and try every house & unit code and watch for a result is even lower. You would most likely have more false turn on/off events from electrical noise than from someone outside your home.

X10 is not the most reliable system and should never be used in any situation where danger can occur if a unit gets turned on or off unintentionally. But as far as for controlling lights or appliances such as fans, then security shouldn't be too high of a concern. If you find your modules turning on or off unexpectedly (e.g. from a neighbor), using a different house code / unit code should solve the problem.

amunoztico

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 03:46:24 PM »

Puck thanks for your quickly answer.

Now, I heard that "INSTEON" is better than X10.. Is it true?  Could INSTEON resolve my concern?  I checked some INSTEON prices from smarthome.com, but those products are more expensive than X10.

Regards!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 04:01:53 PM by amunoztico »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 04:13:03 PM »

Punk thanks for your quickly answer.

Now, I heard that "INSTEON" is better than X10.. Is it true?  Could INSTEON resolve my concern?  I checked some INSTEON prices from smarthome.com, but those products are more expensive than X10.

Regards!
amunoztico all home automation systems have their draw backs!
If you'd like a good unbiased opinion check out a forum like Access Home Automation many there switched from x10 to insteon only to have bigger issues some ended up with a more stable one!
Everyones situation is different but which ever way you decide to go you'll find users willing to help you get a reliable setup!
As for your concern Zwave may be the best, ???  but do some research! AS Puck stated it is very unlikely someone will do what your worried about no matter which system you eventualy go with!
>!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.